Uh Oh! Dead [Media] Man Walking!

krazykat

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/406821.html

Peters deserves a new deal

I'm hardly one to typically agree with DiCesare, but he couldn't be more spot on in this piece.

"The Buffalo Bills have some choices when it comes to resolving the holdout of Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters. They can continue to send him text messages, maybe try to track him down on MySpace, or they can get on a plane, have themselves a face-to-face meeting and figure out what it’s going to take to get one of their most influential players back in uniform.

The organization can adopt the hard-line, 1960s stance that a contract is a contract, or it can wake up to the real world manifest most recently displayed in Green Bay, where running back Ryan Grant skipped seven days of training camp and leveraged his way to a deal that reflects his accomplishments."

"Peters’ beef is legit. He’s scheduled to make $3.25 million plus incentives this year, decent money for sure for your average left tackle. ... he’s being paid less than Walker ($5 million), less than Derrick Dockery ($7 million). As much as this is about money it’s also about respect. Your best offensive lineman ought to be paid accordingly."

"If the Bills are so adept at developing offensive linemen then how come their front five abounds with free agents? Can we give Peters some credit for what he’s become?"

"The contract Peters signed two years ago projected progress but failed to account for his runaway improvement. His learning and performance curves soar off the charts. The Bills had best get over the giddiness of having a Pro Bowl tackle under contract at well under market value and instead recognize that excellence warrants commensurate compensation. That’s good business, too."

Bad news Bob, you'll be a hated man amongst "the mob."

:rolleyes:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... he says "Peter's beef is legit". OK, what beef? I can't find one shred of evidence... or article that indicates that Peter's or his agent has actually been "QUOTED" anywhere as having asked for any new contract or extension. If there is such a quote floating around, can someone please point me to it?

Right now it seems to me everything is speculation. And, if the Bills are trying to make contact with Peters via electronic means, Peters is not responding.

Wouldn't it seem resonable to you that if you were in Peters shoes and wanted a new contract that you would at least answer any communication from your employer? I just don't get Peters not communicating.... put your frickin man Pants on Jason and come face to face with Brandon.

I mean, man, I really don't get this kid. He's a good LT, and perhaps he does deserve more $$$. No one is arguing that he desreves more. But, he's coming off sports hernia surgery and if he wants a new contract, WTF are the Bills actually buying???? The pre-injury Peters, or the post injury Peters? We all know the pre-injury Peters was a very good LT, but we don't know what we have since the surgery, he hasn't been in contact with the Bills or attended any minicamps/OTAs so how would anyone know his condition? Ralph ain't gonna lay down any more coin on the dude until he knows that. Moulds had the same injury (OT game agaisnt Cincy a few years ago) and he was necver the same... he had none of the explosiveness he once had... and never rebounded from that.

Well... he says "Peter's beef is legit". OK, what beef? I can't find one shred of evidence... or article that indicates that Peter's or his agent has actually been "QUOTED" anywhere as having asked for any new contract or extension. If there is such a quote floating around, can someone please point me to it?

Right now it seems to me everything is speculation. And, if the Bills are trying to make contact with Peters via electronic means, Peters is not responding.

Wouldn't it seem resonable to you that if you were in Peters shoes and wanted a new contract that you would at least answer any communication from your employer? I just don't get Peters not communicating.... put your frickin man Pants on Jason and come face to face with Brandon.

I mean, man, I really don't get this kid. He's a good LT, and perhaps he does deserve more $$$. No one is arguing that he desreves more. But, he's coming off sports hernia surgery and if he wants a new contract, WTF are the Bills actually buying???? The pre-injury Peters, or the post injury Peters? We all know the pre-injury Peters was a very good LT, but we don't know what we have since the surgery, he hasn't been in contact with the Bills or attended any minicamps/OTAs so how would anyone know his condition? Ralph ain't gonna lay down any more coin on the dude until he knows that. Moulds had the same injury (OT game agaisnt Cincy a few years ago) and he was necver the same... he had none of the explosiveness he once had... and never rebounded from that.

I just really don't understand why anything is so baffling about this. I really don't. It doesn't matter whether the Bills and Parker spoke specifics, or ballpark, or code words, or sign language so they could tell the media they didn't speak. Parker says this guy is a top 2-3 LT, he needs to be paid like one now. I want 6 years, 60 million. He will be the 4th highest paid LT in the game, you're getting a bargain. The Bills say, "He signed a contract. He's locked up for 3-5 years. Have him play this year for his deal and we'll make him the highest paid player in history, and add on 5 years at 8 million a year.

They are 20 million off. Parker says, "Then there is nothing to talk about. He's the best now, he needs to be paid now."

That's it. Peters is healthy. In shape. Ready to come to camp. But he thinks he's the best right now, too, and the third highest paid OL on the team. They both say lets wait this out. The team will get nervous. They may or may not cave but there is still 5 weeks to go before the season.

There is no reason to communicate. From either side. They know where each other stands. The Bills know Peters will show up and play hard because he has to to get the big deal.

There isnt one thing weird or surprising about this at all to me. Just simple hardline negotiating.

The column above simply supports what some writers, some fans, some football men believe. Pay the man now. The Bills simply don't have to. I don't understand what is difficult to comprehend here.

I just really don't understand why anything is so baffling about this. I really don't. It doesn't matter whether the Bills and Parker spoke specifics, or ballpark, or code words, or sign language so they could tell the media they didn't speak. Parker says this guy is a top 2-3 LT, he needs to be paid like one now. I want 6 years, 60 million. He will be the 4th highest paid LT in the game, you're getting a bargain. The Bills say, "He signed a contract. He's locked up for 3-5 years. Have him play this year for his deal and we'll make him the highest paid player in history, and add on 5 years at 8 million a year.

They are 20 million off. Parker says, "Then there is nothing to talk about. He's the best now, he needs to be paid now."

That's it. Peters is healthy. In shape. Ready to come to camp. But he thinks he's the best right now, too, and the third highest paid OL on the team. Thet both say lets wait this out. The team will get nervous. They may or may not cave but there is still 5 weeks to go before the season.

There is no reason to communicate. From either side. They know where each other stands. The Bills know Peters will show up and play hard because he has to to get the big deal.

There isnt one thing weird or surprising about this at all to me. Just simple hardline negotiating.

The column above simply supports what some writers, some fans, some football men believe. Pay the man now. The Bills simply don't have to. I don't understand what is difficult to comprehend here.

Fair enough......

How do you think this will play itself out in terms of Peters getting a new deal this season?

Fair enough......

How do you think this will play itself out in terms of Peters getting a new deal this season?

I don't think he gets one. Nor do I think he should. I think after this season, or even late in the season, when they know he is as good as they thought, he will get a new deal before next season at about 10 mil a year. My worry is if the Bills try to lowball him a million or two a season. They just shouldn't do it.

I do think, however, although I hate to say this, that what Parker is doing now will benefit Peters in the long run and he will get a few more million over the length of the contract than he would if he just played nice like most people here seem to want.

My prediction is that he will show after the first pre-season game. Maybe even this week. Just a prediction though. He could go all the way until right before the season.

That's it. Peters is healthy. In shape. Ready to come to camp. But he thinks he's the best right now, too, and the third highest paid OL on the team. They both say lets wait this out. The team will get nervous. They may or may not cave but there is still 5 weeks to go before the season.

Ah, now I get it - they're communicating telepathically.

Ah, now I get it - they're communicating telepathically.

Lets put it this way: the really dumb and clueless ones in this mess are the people who believe one of the very best agents and players in the game havent told the team what they want and havent got an answer from them. Those, my friend, are the true idjits here. :rolleyes:

Lets put it this way: the really dumb and clueless ones in this mess are the people who believe one of the very best agents and players in the game havent told the team what they want and havent got an answer from them. Those, my friend, are the true idjits here. :rolleyes:

Most "idjits" here are going by what has been reported. We have been waiting for the inside scoop from those in the know, such as yourself. So Parker has had talks with the Bills and stated what they are looking for. The Bills in return want JP in camp before negotiating. We all have an idea that this is what is happening, but this is the first time it has been reported "officially". So thanks for the inside scoop. Now that we know the details, you can end your crusade krazykat.

Most "idjits" here are going by what has been reported. We have been waiting for the inside scoop from those in the know, such as yourself. So Parker has had talks with the Bills and stated what they are looking for. The Bills in return want JP in camp before negotiating. We all have an idea that this is what is happening, but this is the first time it has been reported "officially". So thanks for the inside scoop. Now that we know the details, you can end your crusade krazykat.

It's not that we know all the details, but common sense dictates that they have talked at some point during the off-season and are aware of each others position.

Most "idjits" here are going by what has been reported.

YES, good move, because EVERY professional sports organization is completely up-front and truthful speaking to the media regarding an ongoing negotiation! :rolleyes::thumbsup:

This is the reason the media and fans almost ALWAYS lean toward the organization's stance when there are hold-outs: Because they have a PR department, the player does not. The media knows that the organization provides them with information, and they are going to report on these events with a slant toward the team's position. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you," so to speak. Anybody who thinks Peters and his agent are holed up in a bunker somewhere, refusing to communicate with the outside world is ridiculous. I've been saying that for weeks.

Nobody feels sorry for a millionaire athlete who's holding out. I get that. But I also don't feel sorry for billionaire owners who lowball their talent. This "Be a man and honor your contract" stuff is hilarious. It's a big money game, with plenty to go around, and Peters wants his rightful share.

I'm hardly one to typically agree with DiCesare, but he couldn't be more spot on in this piece.

"The Buffalo Bills have some choices when it comes to resolving the holdout of Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters. They can continue to send him text messages, maybe try to track him down on MySpace, or they can get on a plane, have themselves a face-to-face meeting and figure out what it’s going to take to get one of their most influential players back in uniform.

The organization can adopt the hard-line, 1960s stance that a contract is a contract, or it can wake up to the real world manifest most recently displayed in Green Bay, where running back Ryan Grant skipped seven days of training camp and leveraged his way to a deal that reflects his accomplishments."

"Peters’ beef is legit. He’s scheduled to make $3.25 million plus incentives this year, decent money for sure for your average left tackle. ... he’s being paid less than Walker ($5 million), less than Derrick Dockery ($7 million). As much as this is about money it’s also about respect. Your best offensive lineman ought to be paid accordingly."

"If the Bills are so adept at developing offensive linemen then how come their front five abounds with free agents? Can we give Peters some credit for what he’s become?"

"The contract Peters signed two years ago projected progress but failed to account for his runaway improvement. His learning and performance curves soar off the charts. The Bills had best get over the giddiness of having a Pro Bowl tackle under contract at well under market value and instead recognize that excellence warrants commensurate compensation. That’s good business, too."

most influential player??? what are you smokin?? the guy is a mental midget !! if he or his agent had a ounce of

brain matter they would have realized he would be the highest paid tackle in the game next year by playing good this

year!! now he hasjepardizing that for a bump this year..

peters and his agent"eugene the loser parker" put new meaning to some words...........................................................

YOU CANT FIX STUPID!!!

I wish someone would explain how it is remotely possible that Parker is holding his client out, without talking to the Bills, telling them what he wants, and knowing their stance. I don't think you need someone to officially report on that. I think you simply have to believe in the concept of gravity and have two feet on the planet. But that's just me. :rolleyes:

It's not that we know all the details, but common sense dictates that they have talked at some point during the off-season and are aware of each others position.

Yes exactly what I said:

"We all have an idea that this is what is happening"

I have no beef with DiCesare, but I certainly wouldn't give him any credit for this insight. He's merely repeating what Dr. Z posted two days ago (and with more insight) on the SI site.

I wish someone would explain how it is remotely possible that Parker is holding his client out, without talking to the Bills, telling them what he wants, and knowing their stance. I don't think you need someone to officially report on that. I think you simply have to believe in the concept of gravity and have two feet on the planet. But that's just me. :rolleyes:

Yes, exactly what I said:

We know there have been talks, but to what extent is all speculation. Basically we have been going back and forth on hundreds of posts on speculation, that's why all the krazykay posts on the same topic is driving everyone KRAZY...

Yes, exactly what I said:

So what is so difficult to believe about what is happening, or why Peters is not talking, and there is no longer any communication between the team? Weeks ago Brandon said he spoke with Parker, just not much. It defies all logic that they havent spoken until then, which means they spoke earlier, even if it was 30 seconds. That's enough time for both sides to know all they need to know and exactly where the other stands and is coming from. What else needs to happen before one side flinches first?

So what is so difficult to believe about what is happening, or why Peters is not talking, and there is no longer any communication between the team? Weeks ago Brandon said he spoke with Parker, just not much. It defies all logic that they havent spoken until then, which means they spoke earlier, even if it was 30 seconds. That's enough time for both sides to know all they need to know and exactly where the other stands and is coming from. What else needs to happen before one side flinches first?

That's my point!! Nothing is difficult to believe, yet there continue to be endless posts on speculation. We know what JP wants, we can "speculate" what the Bills want. Both sides have good reasons. Is one side more right than the other? I don't know. All I am saying is there has been nothing new reported and I can only logically discuss this issue by what I read or hear and I haven't heard anything new recently. Everything else is speculation!