Does anyone here know..

NFL CBA -- ARTICLE VIII

CLUB DISCIPLINE

Section 1. Maximum Discipline:

(a) For the 2006 League Year, the following maximum discipline schedule will be applicable:

Overweight—maximum fine of $400 per lb., which fine may be assessed no more than twice per week, with each week beginning on Monday and ending on Sunday, and with each fine at least three days apart (e.g., Monday-Thursday, Tuesday-Friday, etc.).

Unexcused late reporting for mandatory off-season minicamp, team meeting, practice, transportation, curfew, scheduled appointment with Club physician or trainer, or scheduled promotional activity—maximum fine of $1,500.

Failure to promptly report injury to Club physician or trainer—maximum fine of $1,500.

Losing, damaging or altering Club-provided equipment—maximum fine of $1,500 and replacement cost, if any.

Throwing football into stands—maximum fine of $1,500.

Unexcused late reporting for or absence from pre-season training camp by a player under contract except those signed as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article XIX (Veteran Free Agency)—maximum fine of $14,000 per day.

Unexcused late reporting for or absence from pre-season training camp by a player under contract signed as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article XIX (Veteran Free Agency)—maximum fine of $14,000 per day, plus one week’s regular season salary for each pre-season game missed.

Unexcused missed mandatory off-season minicamp, team meeting, practice, curfew, bed check, scheduled appointment with Club physician or trainer, material failure to follow Club rehabilitation directions, or scheduled promotional activity—maximum fine of $8,000.

Material failure to follow rehabilitation program prescribed by Club physician or trainer—maximum fine of $8,000.

Unexcused missed team transportation—maximum fine of $8,000 and transportation expense, if any.

Loss of all or part of playbook, scouting report or game plan—maximum fine of $8,000.

Ejection from game—maximum fine of $14,000.

Conduct detrimental to Club—maximum fine of an amount equal to one week’s salary and/or suspension without pay for a period not to exceed four (4) weeks. This maximum applies without limitation to any deactivation of a player in response to player conduct (other than a deactivation in response to a player’s onfield playing ability), and any such deactivation, even with pay, shall be considered discipline subject to the limits set forth in this section. The Non-Injury Grievance Arbitrator’s decision in Terrell Owens (Nov. 23, 2005) is thus expressly overruled as to any Club decision to deactivate a player in response to the player’s conduct.

The Club will promptly notify the player of any discipline; notice of any Club fine in a category subject to a maximum of $14,000 or above and of any “conduct detrimental” fine or suspension will be sent to the NFLPA.

(b) The amounts set forth in Section 1(a) above and Section 7 below shall be increased for the 2007 League Year, and each League Year thereafter during the term of this Agreement, at the rate of annual TR growth, up to a maximum annual growth of 10% per year.

Believe this is what you're looking for. And I think Fingon's correct -- once the season begins, losing game checks would take the place of, and greatly exceed, any possible fine.

OK, again, so is it 15,000 a day until he shows up PLUS a gamecheck? How long can the Bills impose $15,000 per day?

Its 15K per day for every day of training camp/preseason missed, and then if he still doesn't report when the season begins, the fines stop, but he gets his game check withheld, which is about $187K

Let's see how long Peters sits out once he starts losing $187K per week...I don't care how much cheddar you are making...that is a HUGE amount of money to lose, and will most definitely spell the end of his holdout...

Then again, 15K is a lot of money to lose each day, and when you add it up it would equal 105K per week...

Now, I am not a pro athlete making millions, but mama didn't raise any dummies either...I think I would be riding my bike there if I had to once the 15K per day fines start rolling out...its not like he is Bill Gates or something...3 million just isn't THAT much money to be throwing it away like that...

Besides, I really don't understand what he is trying to accomplish. The Bills have a track record recently of taking care of their guys they want to keep in the fold, and I am pretty certain he is one of those guys. Once the team officially came out and basically said they are not negotiating at all until he reports to camp, he should have got his butt in there ASAP. Him holding out longer is just not going to do anything except cost him money...Mr. Wilson is old school and is not letting a player control his business by holding out. Once he reports, I am pretty sure something would be worked out in quick fashion. Peters is really coming off as a selfish jerk right now, and even Whitner didn't really sound too happy about when asked a question regarding it. The Bills made it crystal clear that when he comes back to practice, they will be happy to talk to him, but under no circumstances are they going to negotiate until he does. So now the only reason Peters could be holding out is for his pride or something. This whole thing has just been handled the totally wrong way by Peters and his agent. You don't just not communicate at all and stay away. I mean if you want a new contract, wouldn't you at least contact the Bills and talk to them? Apparently this hasn't even happened and Peters' camp has sent out a "roadmap of silence". Exactly how is a contract supposed to get done this way? Are they planning to have a silent auction or something? I feel Peters is really getting some bad advice from his agent in this situation, and he is only hurting himself...

The sooner he gets back to camp, the better it will be for all parties concerned, and if I were him I would dump that agent ASAP...

if he still doesn't report when the season begins, the fines stop, but he gets his game check withheld, which is about $187K

I haven't checked the math on that $187K figure, but if that's a gamecheck, that number is just mind boggling. Imagine one week's paycheck made out to you for $187,000?

What's remarkable about his position is that if he wins, it really would have been worth it. It's a large bet, but unless Peters is spending his money like Travis Henry, he's got $3,000,000 in the bank from last year - even with an extravagant lifestyle, he's probably got at least a million left. That'll last him through quite a few 15,000 fines. If he holds out the entire season, gets traded, and gets a $7M contract - which would be a serious discount based on his missing the season - he'll have made back everything he's lost over the $3M salary he would have gotten in 2009. We're not in a great negotiating position here.

Is it only during what is designated as "training camp"? Or, can the fines last well into the regular season until he reports? Also, is it 15,000 a day until he reports?

Just curious.

The Bills can last all season...they just won't do as well. Peters can hold out probably until the end of training camp and I suspect he will, and that a contract will be signed just before the beginning of the regular season. I don't think either party feels a tremendous need to get 'er done right away. Its all just posturing and bull sh-- at this point

What's remarkable about his position is that if he wins, it really would have been worth it. It's a large bet, but unless Peters is spending his money like Travis Henry, he's got $3,000,000 in the bank from last year - even with an extravagant lifestyle, he's probably got at least a million left. That'll last him through quite a few 15,000 fines. If he holds out the entire season, gets traded, and gets a $7M contract - which would be a serious discount based on his missing the season - he'll have made back everything he's lost over the $3M salary he would have gotten in 2009. We're not in a great negotiating position here.

If Peters holds out for the entire season, do the Bills HAVE to trade him? Why not continue to play hard ball and let him sit out another season without pay?

The Bills can last all season...they just won't do as well. Peters can hold out probably until the end of training camp and I suspect he will, and that a contract will be signed just before the beginning of the regular season. I don't think either party feels a tremendous need to get 'er done right away. Its all just posturing and bull sh-- at this point

'Nuff said, Tenny.

We've seen this so many times in the past it should be readily apparent to everyone.

GO BILLS!!!

Is it only during what is designated as "training camp"? Or, can the fines last well into the regular season until he reports? Also, is it 15,000 a day until he reports?

Just curious.

How long the Bills can continue to fine Peters?

Simple answer ...

As long as he keeps pulling this ship

Since it is very likely he would get paid if he just showed up to camp then him losing a year's salary is a big deal. Losing a year's salary is not going to help him any.

At the moment his money is going backwards at the rate of a little over $100,000 a week. That hypothetical $million he has in the bank will be seriously depleted by the time the regular season begins.

If Peters holds out for the entire season, do the Bills HAVE to trade him? Why not continue to play hard ball and let him sit out another season without pay?

The Bills don't have to do anything. What's more, if Peters skips a year then that year doesn't count against his contract, so he would still owe the Bills 3 years of service. And if he's not playing, the Bills don't owe him a cent but still hold his rights. That's why Peters actions make no sense. How much value would Peters have to any team if he misses a year? It's also very fishy that he's had absolutely no contact with the Bills since his groin surgery last year.

PTR

The Bills don't have to do anything. What's more, if Peters skips a year then that year doesn't count against his contract, so he would still owe the Bills 3 years of service. And if he's not playing, the Bills don't owe him a cent but still hold his rights. That's why Peters actions make no sense. How much value would Peters have to any team if he misses a year? It's also very fishy that he's had absolutely no contact with the Bills since his groin surgery last year.

PTR

I'll speculate that Peters already knows how stupid he's gonna look when he reports - with no new contract - by next Friday, or loses a year of service toward his pension & other NFLPA benefits - and is now just hoping there's some sort of face-saving way out of this stupid mess he's brought on himself.

Next Friday's the day. August 8th. Peters and Parker will blink first.

Will NOT happen!! If he does not report, he will sit and rot.

I'll speculate that Peter's already knows how stupid he's gonna look when he reports - with no new contract - by next Friday, or loses year service toward his pension & other NFLPA benefits - and is now just hoping there's some sort of face-saving way out of this stupid mess he's brought on himself.

Next Friday's the day. August 8th. Peters and Parker will blink first.

I've seen this August 8th date before, but I thought it was the 10th week of the season for the year's service. Where did the August 8th date come from?

I've seen this August 8th date before, but I thought it was the 10th week of the season for the year's service. Where did the August 8th date come from?

Different things. After the 10th week of the season, the player can't be reinstated at any time during that season, effectively losing a year on his contract.

They need to report by August 8th to have it count for seniority, something which will matter in 2010

Promo posted this before in a different thread, but there's been so much crap over so many threads that it might be worth repeating...

"A DETERRENT FOR PETERS HOLDOUT?: St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Jim Thomas brought up an interesting part of the CBA concerning holdouts reporting to the team. There's a clause in Article XVIII that states in part that

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least 30 days prior to the first regular season game of that season...

So in the case of Jason Peters or Steven Jackson, if they wanted to make sure they got their accrued season for their league seniority and pension benefits they would have to report by Aug. 8."

Link