Ko Simpson's ankle acting up...

Simpson sitting

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:45 PM ET | Link

SIMPSON SITTING: Ko Simpson is no longer taking practice reps as he appears to have tweaked surgically repaired ankle. It doesn't appear to be serious as he is walking under his own power and still watching practice. He's discussing what happened with the trainers.

---

I really do think Simpson will be a huge part of whether or not we make the playoffs this year, and news like this can never be good.

Simpson sitting

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:45 PM ET | Link

SIMPSON SITTING: Ko Simpson is no longer taking practice reps as he appears to have tweaked surgically repaired ankle. It doesn't appear to be serious as he is walking under his own power and still watching practice. He's discussing what happened with the trainers.

---

I really do think Simpson will be a huge part of whether or not we make the playoffs this year, and news like this can never be good.

For you guys that think Ko Simpson is a game changing safety get a reality check. He had a decent rookie year. He was very average IMO which isn't a bad thing. Just average. I don't feel we lost much if anything with George Wilson back there.

There's going to be a lot of guys sitting out practice with tweaks. Happens every year to every team. But you're right, you never want to see player who just missed a full season sit out practice for an injury to the same area. Conversely, after missing 15.5 games last year, Simpson is going to be extra careful in July as he knows his eye is on September and beyond.

I hear the Ravens have had a bunch of vets on the sidelines with soreness...Supposedly Camp Billick was an easy go for the veterans, and Harbaugh has come in and tried to show who's boss.

Everything I had heard about Simpson was that he was so happy to be back and excited to be flying around on the football field. Hopefully we can just look at it and say that that first twinge is a part of the recovery process, and it's good it happened now.

For you guys that think Ko Simpson is a game changing safety get a reality check. He had a decent rookie year. He was very average IMO which isn't a bad thing. Just average. I don't feel we lost much if anything with George Wilson back there.

Wilson got lost out there in pass coverage at times last season and gave up some long TD passes. He made some decent plays as well, but I believe Ko is a better safety. Ko is faster and more athletic than Wilson. We need guys who have better athletic ability playing the 2 deep positions in the defense we play.

George Wilson is not a playmaking safety we need, he looked ok because the idea was to guard him from looking bad. Simpson can hit and coming out of college as a sophomore had 1st round talent. As a freshman he got freshman of the year at South Carolina, and as a rookie you are right he played average football and was not lost out there like you might have expected. Simpson has huge upside while George Wilson will never be a long term answer at safety. If you listen to how Donte talks about Simpson it's obvious he has special talent that could make him an elite player to go along with Whitner.

George Wilson is not a playmaking safety we need, he looked ok because the idea was to guard him from looking bad. Simpson can hit and coming out of college as a sophomore had 1st round talent. As a freshman he got freshman of the year at South Carolina, and as a rookie you are right he played average football and was not lost out there like you might have expected. Simpson has huge upside while George Wilson will never be a long term answer at safety. If you listen to how Donte talks about Simpson it's obvious he has special talent that could make him an elite player to go along with Whitner.

I have no problem with Bryan Scott. He can play FS if need be

Its one thing to be perceived as an idiot, its another to open your mouth and erase all doubts.

Its one thing to be perceived as an idiot, its another to open your mouth and erase all doubts.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have said anything. :D

Because Simpson was a weak spot and was routinely victimized by opposing co-ordinators in his only year as a starter.

Because Simpson was a weak spot and was routinely victimized by opposing co-ordinators in his only year as a starter.

That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard!! Of course a rookie is going to be targeted, and the guy did a very good job his rookie year.

Not sure where you're getting your information, or if you even watched the Bills play, but Simpson's rookie year I believe we were in the top 10 in pass defense. Besides that one season you're talking about was his rookie year where he was thrown into the fire because of an injury to Vincent. Simpson has the potential to be a difference maker that can cover the deep ball and can lay a hit much better then G. Wilson. I'm not saying Simpson is a star, I'm just saying without him we could have a hole at the FS position.

That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard!! Of course a rookie is going to be targeted, and the guy did a very good job his rookie year.

Not sure where you're getting your information, or if you even watched the Bills play, but Simpson's rookie year I believe we were in the top 10 in pass defense. Besides that one season you're talking about was his rookie year where he was thrown into the fire because of an injury to Vincent. Simpson has the potential to be a difference maker that can cover the deep ball and can lay a hit much better then G. Wilson. I'm not saying Simpson is a star, I'm just saying without him we could have a hole at the FS position.

The bolded part is true -- No. 7, to be precise -- but that may have had something to do with the fact that they were also 28th in run D. Last I knew, Simon still played/coached a little bit of DB in his spare time, so I tend to trust his opinion on the subject ...

The bolded part is true -- No. 7, to be precise -- but that may have had something to do with the fact that they were also 28th in run D. Last I knew, Simon still played/coached a little bit of DB in his spare time, so I tend to trust his opinion on the subject ...

Funny you should mention DB playing and coaching experience when considering the histories of Buffalo's head coach and defensive coordinators. I would say they might even be a better judge of talent than even the moderators of this board! Bias, perhaps. Not a shot at you, Lori, just making the point that I'm sure they know a good DB when they see one. I trust they're being careful and cautious in their dealing with Ko, and that when returned to full health, he'll be a positive asset to the team in 2008.

Go Bills!

Simpson has huge upside while George Wilson will never be a long term answer at safety. If you listen to how Donte talks about Simpson it's obvious he has special talent that could make him an elite player to go along with Whitner.
I'm not saying Simpson is a star, I'm just saying without him we could have a hole at the FS position.

Yeah. That makes sense. :D

Funny you should mention DB playing and coaching experience when considering the histories of Buffalo's head coach and defensive coordinators. I would say they might even be a better judge of talent than even the moderators of this board! Bias, perhaps. Not a shot at you, Lori, just making the point that I'm sure they know a good DB when they see one.

Youboty isn't really lighting up the field either, right?

Not a shot at you BC, but everybody makes mistakes, even Jauron. :D

Yeah. That makes sense. :D

Let me spell it out for you...

Simpson is not a star yet and may never become one, but he has all the ability to be a 4th round steal for the Bills. The only thing holding him back from hopefully becoming an elite player is his ankle. Ko has the size, speed, hands, hitting ability to be a good one, lets just hope he's able to reach his potential.

Besides Deion Sanders, has there ever been a rookie DB who wasn't targeted by opposing coordinators and QBs?

The fact of the matter is, the 2006 Bills were 7-7 after 14 games while having two rooks playing safety. I think Simpson played pretty well, all things considered. Whitner, as the #8 pick, was drafted to come in and start. Simpson was drafted in the 4th round to hopefully have an impact in 2007 and in 2008. Then, halfway thru game 1 of his NFL career, he finds himself as the starting free safety. He finished 5th on the team with 77 tackles (51 solo) and had 2 picks as a rookie. He displayed a smooth long stride and deceptive closing speed. Like any rookie, while I think "victimized" is a little harsh, Simpson was certainly exposed at times. My perception suggested that a lot of it seemed correctable with experience...More "speed of the game" issues, and taking bad angles...Not necessarily poor reads and dropped coverages.

It was not a Defensive ROY performance from him, don't get me wrong...But he showed the instincts and toughness that suggest he can be more than serviceable as an NFL safety, especially now playing next to a MUCH more experienced and savvy Whitner (i.e., 32 games played vs. 1,2,3... games played.)

It was my opinion that in 2006, the DB who was most victimized was Kiwaukee Thomas. I will give him credit, I thought he was better last season, but he was consistently toasted for 1st down catches when he came in as the nickel CB in '06...

Is there a rookie DB who doesn't get targeted by opposing coordinators?

The fact of the matter is, the Bills were 7-7 after 14 games while having two rooks playing safety. I think Simpson played, overall, pretty well, all things considered. Whitner, as the #8 pick, was drafted to come in and start. Simpson was drafted in the 4th round to hopefully have an impact in 2007 and in 2008. Then, halfway thru game 1 of his NFL career, he finds himself as the starting free safety. He finished 5th on the team with 77 tackles (51 solo) and had 2 picks as a rookie. He displayed a smooth long stride and deceptive closing speed.

It was not a Defensive ROY performance from him, don't get me wrong...But he showed the instincts and toughness that suggest he can be more than serviceable as an NFL safety, especially now playing next to a MUCH more experienced and savvy Whitner (i.e., 32 games played vs. 1,2,3... games played.)

It was my opinion that in 2006, the DB who was most victimized was Kiwaukee Thomas. I will give him credit, I thought he was better last season, but he was consistently toasted for 1st down catches when he came in as the nickel CB in '06...

Could not have said it better myself!!

It's funny to me how dumb people can be sometimes, and actually say that Simpson was bad in his rookie year and was torched by opposing offenses. The guy was a rookie and of course they targeted him, and he passed the test displaying great qualities. It makes me wonder if people are actually watching Bills games.

Gasp! a 4th round rookie who was thrust into the starting role during his rookie season was victimized by opposing NFL coaches? Cut Ko now!

Then perhaps you shouldn't have said anything. :rolleyes:

Simon,

I really didn't see it that way....it seemed to me that teams didn't really want to throw on us in that area of the field with Whitner and Simpson teamed up

Then perhaps you shouldn't have said anything. :devil:

Ah, another one.

Simpson was not a weak spot, and not "routinely victimized" that year. With two rookie safeties, I'm surprised at the level they came in and played at right away. To see that kind of communication and skill set from two rookies to hold down the back end of a defense by themselves is remarkable.