OK, So for those of you that support this Front Office, ...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year a team pays an obsurd amount of money to get a free agent or to keep a player. Then every player who had similar stats or better thinks they deserve the same amount of money or better. It happens every year.

You can thank owners like Al Davis, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and the players agents for driving the prices up. You can also throw in our poor economy and that the US dollar doesn't go as far as it used to as another contributing factor.

Jason Peters needs to get more money. He is or will be the best LT in football. He has put in the time, and effort from being undrafted to an excellent LT. Guys like this deserve the money in my mind. Do i think Jason Peters is handling it wrong i sure do but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the money.

The thing that bothers me the most about the Peters situation is his silence. I wonder if he is in shape, has kept his weight down, and how his injury currently is.

Every year a team pays an obsurd amount of money to get a free agent or to keep a player. Then every player who had similar stats or better thinks they deserve the same amount of money or better. It happens every year.

You can thank owners like Al Davis, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and the players agents for driving the prices up. You can also throw in our poor economy and that the US dollar doesn't go as far as it used to as another contributing factor.

Jason Peters needs to get more money. He is or will be the best LT in football. He has put in the time, and effort from being undrafted to an excellent LT. Guys like this deserve the money in my mind. Do i think Jason Peters is handling it wrong i sure do but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the money.

The thing that bothers me the most about the Peters situation is his silence. I wonder if he is in shape, has kept his weight down, and how his injury currently is.

This is the whole point IMO. Let's say he hasn't healed from his surgery, and he wasn't able to work out because of it. Seeing as he hasn't been at OBD since his surgery (let alone make a single phone call), why would the bills sign him now?

If he was in camp and looked good, and had actually told the FO in person that he wanted a new deal, I'm pretty sure he'd get his money. BUt he is sitting at home throwing a temper tantrum, and wants to be the highest paid Bill in history. Sorry, I have no sympathy for him.

My biggest question regarding this topic is wether or not the information we are receiving is accurate. Have Peters and his agent not attempted to contact the Bills on the matter of a pay increase within the last several months, AND, is it the Bill's responsibility to pick up the phone and call Peters if he doesn't take the initiative to call them? What do you guys think?

Accordning to the Bills FO, they have not been in contact with Peters or his agent about his demands for a new contract. They have had discussions with his agent recently, but that was because he is Hardy's agent, but they did not get into discussions about Peters. Now this is according to the Bills, and apparently its just lies because people are assuming that his agent obviously has had to have had discussions with the Bills. Now they may have had informal discussions though but nothing formal to work out a new deal.

As for the second question, no, it is not the Bills responsibility to call peters except to tell him to get his @ss to TC or he will be fined for every day he misses. The bills I would assume are content to pay Peters what he agreed to in his current contract and are not the ones looking to renegotiate. If Peters wants to renegotiate, it is his responsibility to contact the team and start negotiations.

The people that are saying its all the front offices faultt are being blinded in this situation because of who it is. They see it as the bills only Pro Bowler and that if he doesn't play the Bills are doomed to be last years dolphins. Sure there offence takes a big hit if he sits out, but caving right now and giving in to his every demand by coming to him and not him coming to them is no where near the proper way to negotiate. The Bills hold all the cards in this situation, and caving in to him will show weakness. The Bills have to show him that they are willing to take a hit on offence rather then showing the league they are weak and letting players run the team.

He is under contrqact to the team right now, and still has more then half the length of his contract left. Comparing him to others besides Schoebel is not accurate. The difference between him and Schoebel is that Schoebel showed up and was with the team when he asked for a new deal, so they worked with him and gave him what he wanted. He didn't take the aggressive route and forced the team to play hardball like Peters has done. The team has never said they won't have discussions and work something out, they just said they want him in camp before they do. Dockery and Walker were also established players who were FA's at the time. The Bills had to overpay a bit to get them. You can't compare it to a FA signing because every year the value goes up in FA for players, so if thats the case, you would be renegotiating with players every year. Butler and Williams were also higher drafted rookies who came in and became starters, who showed up to camp and worked out new deals, like when Peters signed the last contract. None of them tried to play hardball immediatly with Buffalo.

As for the comment about him showing up to camp and then the bills tunring around and saying they don't want to re-do his deal, well if that were to happen, then thats when you threaten to sit out. If the bills were to get him into camp and he shows up to do his job, but asks for a raise, and they tell him too bad, then you turn around and threaten to sit until they say they will talk. That is how you negotiate, because atleast then you can say you have done what they have asked, and they lose some cards on the table, and its probably the reason why Schoebel got what he did.

No one is saying Peters is wrong in wanting more money, he deserves it, but his way of going about it is all wrong, and the Bills FO can't just cave in to his demands. Look at CIncy, for once they are doing something right when they refused to cave in for Johnson. He threatened a holdout, and would be a huge offensive loss to the Bengals if he refused to play. The Bengals told him to sit, he then in turn caved when he realised they wouldn't re-do his deal and is reporting to camp. Winslow in Cleveland is re-negotiating and had said he is reporting to camp so he is not a distraction.

What are your thoughts on the way they handle contracts?

Then they do the same thing last year with Dockery and Walker who aren't close to what Peters is.

I am about ready to slit your THROAT!!! Do you REALIZE that Dockery & Langston were FA's??? You Stupid :thumbsup:

Open your ears jerky! Open YOUR Frickin ears!!!!

Accordning to the Bills FO, they have not been in contact with Peters or his agent about his demands for a new contract. They have had discussions with his agent recently, but that was because he is Hardy's agent, but they did not get into discussions about Peters. Now this is according to the Bills, and apparently its just lies because people are assuming that his agent obviously has had to have had discussions with the Bills. Now they may have had informal discussions though but nothing formal to work out a new deal.

As for the second question, no, it is not the Bills responsibility to call peters except to tell him to get his @ss to TC or he will be fined for every day he misses. The bills I would assume are content to pay Peters what he agreed to in his current contract and are not the ones looking to renegotiate. If Peters wants to renegotiate, it is his responsibility to contact the team and start negotiations.

The people that are saying its all the front offices faultt are being blinded in this situation because of who it is. They see it as the bills only Pro Bowler and that if he doesn't play the Bills are doomed to be last years dolphins. Sure there offence takes a big hit if he sits out, but caving right now and giving in to his every demand by coming to him and not him coming to them is no where near the proper way to negotiate. The Bills hold all the cards in this situation, and caving in to him will show weakness. The Bills have to show him that they are willing to take a hit on offence rather then showing the league they are weak and letting players run the team.

He is under contrqact to the team right now, and still has more then half the length of his contract left. Comparing him to others besides Schoebel is not accurate. The difference between him and Schoebel is that Schoebel showed up and was with the team when he asked for a new deal, so they worked with him and gave him what he wanted. He didn't take the aggressive route and forced the team to play hardball like Peters has done. The team has never said they won't have discussions and work something out, they just said they want him in camp before they do. Dockery and Walker were also established players who were FA's at the time. The Bills had to overpay a bit to get them. You can't compare it to a FA signing because every year the value goes up in FA for players, so if thats the case, you would be renegotiating with players every year. Butler and Williams were also higher drafted rookies who came in and became starters, who showed up to camp and worked out new deals, like when Peters signed the last contract. None of them tried to play hardball immediatly with Buffalo.

As for the comment about him showing up to camp and then the bills tunring around and saying they don't want to re-do his deal, well if that were to happen, then thats when you threaten to sit out. If the bills were to get him into camp and he shows up to do his job, but asks for a raise, and they tell him too bad, then you turn around and threaten to sit until they say they will talk. That is how you negotiate, because atleast then you can say you have done what they have asked, and they lose some cards on the table, and its probably the reason why Schoebel got what he did.

No one is saying Peters is wrong in wanting more money, he deserves it, but his way of going about it is all wrong, and the Bills FO can't just cave in to his demands. Look at CIncy, for once they are doing something right when they refused to cave in for Johnson. He threatened a holdout, and would be a huge offensive loss to the Bengals if he refused to play. The Bengals told him to sit, he then in turn caved when he realised they wouldn't re-do his deal and is reporting to camp. Winslow in Cleveland is re-negotiating and had said he is reporting to camp so he is not a distraction.

Good post.

No, Brandon said the amount they spoke about Peters has been "minimal". It could have been two days ago when they were talking about Hardy. That means they talked. And it likely means one side didn't like what the other side said, or both, so there is nothing more to talk about until one side decides to change their position.

Eugene Parker is one of the very best agents in the biz, even though they are all slimeballs to some extent. According to a very knowledgeable poster on another board (who is not even a Bills fan but very reliable) Parker has successfully took a hard stance, sometimes held out, and got new contracts for "Richard Seymour, Deion Sanders, Hines Ward, Emmitt Smith, Rod Woodson, Derrick Brooks, Larry Fitzgerald, Curtis Martin and Aeneas Williams."

I am about ready to slit your THROAT!!! Do you REALIZE that Dockery & Langston were FA's??? You Stupid :thumbsup:

Open your ears jerky! Open YOUR Frickin ears!!!!

What does that have to do with anything, he referring to the amounts they got paid.

LOL, you challenging me on fan status! LMAO

Oh, sure, I'll answer that.

I tremendously enjoyed leaving sports bars early last year after watching the team put up 120 yards, 2 1st-downs, and convert 1 3rd-down converstion through 3 quarters. I thought that was very impressive.

I really loved the way we couldn't even get into the red zone. I thought that was exilerating and entertaining. You?

I thought it was very exciting watching us convert fewer red zone TDs than teams like San Francisco, Oakland, Detroit, Kansas City, and even Miami, and the Jets. I mean who wouldn't get all wet over that.

And by all means, how can anyone knock a team that ran fewer plays than any other team including those mentioned above. Not much room for criticism there.

I thought it was great watching Edwards lead the offense to absolutely no points in over half of his games while being poised.

I thought it was also great watching Edwards throw zero TDs in two of every three games. I mean hell, most other teams have to watch ten or twelve games to see a passing TD, but here in Buffalo we got one every third game. I'm getting all wet just thinking about the offensive power as I write this.

I enjoyed watching us beat all those really good teams. (List follows on the next line)

I enjoyed watching Dick Jauron extend his losing streak to six straight seasons. It's not easy getting six season long streaks going. I hope he makes the Wall of Fame one day, he definitely deserves it.

I immensely enjoyed watching our D allow more 3rd down conversions than any other team in the league. Didn't you.

And let's not forget how enjoyable it was having a team with the 27th ranked most yards per play allowed. Nothing like offensive action in a game.

I thought that all that and more was really great. I'm looking forward to a lot more of it this year, aren't you.

:ph34r:

I have to say that last years team sucked hairless balls for the most part. The offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense couldn't get off it. They were lucky that the schedule was really in their favor, otherwise the Bills would have been picking in the top 3 this year. Wins against last years powerhouses such as Miami, Jets, Ravens, Bengals and a lucky win over a distraught Redskins team doesn't impress me. I honestly still don't understand everyone's infatuation with Edwards considering all he was actually good at was being able to avoid a sack. Other than that, he couldn't move the offense. Sure, he had poise for a rookie and hopefully that will translate into something this year but I am not sold on him yet. Time will tell. There is hope and part of being a Bills fan has indoctrunated us all into the "Wait Till Next Year" mode.

To the matter at hand with the Front Office. I believe Peter's has 3 years remaining on a contract that the Bills actually overpaid when he first signed it. If that's the case, he should show up, sack up and play out the next 2 years and then try to renegotiate with a year left. If the Bills start renegotiating everyones contract halfway through, as soon as they get national pub about being pretty good, they aren't going to be able to keep anyone around. The Front Office is doing exactly what just about every Front Office in the league has to do.

No, Brandon said the amount they spoke about Peters has been "minimal". It could have been two days ago when they were talking about Hardy. That means they talked. And it likely means one side didn't like what the other side said, or both, so there is nothing more to talk about until one side decides to change their position.

Eugene Parker is one of the very best agents in the biz, even though they are all slimeballs to some extent. According to a very knowledgeable poster on another board (who is not even a Bills fan but very reliable) Parker has successfully took a hard stance, sometimes held out, and got new contracts for "Richard Seymour, Deion Sanders, Hines Ward, Emmitt Smith, Rod Woodson, Derrick Brooks, Larry Fitzgerald, Curtis Martin and Aeneas Williams."

It doesn't say what they talked about or that they made offers to each other.

The conversation could have been about how Peters is doing after surgery. His agent may have said that they were looking to re-do his deal, or that he isn't happy with his current deal. No where does it say they spoke numbers, or discussed figures either. The conversation may have also gone like this

Parker (after completing Hardy's deal) - "Hey Brandon (or who ever negotiates contracts), so my other client, Peters, has some issues with his contract"

Brandon - "Oh, ok, so how is he doing? Is he 100% from his surgery now? Is he in shape and ready for Training Camp in a few days?"

Parker - " Yeah, he is doing good after the surgery, but he said he wants to re-negotiate his contract to be paid as the best O-linemen on the team before he reports to camp"

Brandon - "Ok, Didn't we just do this 2 years ago? Well he did really step up, and he did get voted to the Pro Bowl. I will tell you what, you tell him that if he reports to camp we will sit down and talk some new numbers"

Parker - "No, he says he won't show up unless he has a new deal in place first, he is not happy about being underpaid as a Pro bowler"

Brandon - "Tell him to report and we will talk. I gotta go, I have a meeting with McKelvins agent followed by Dinner with Lee Evans and his agent. If he reports we will work out a fair deal"

Of course theres always the Obie/TBD chicken little crowd theory about hot the discussion went

Parker - "Mr. Brandon Sir, my client, your only Pro Bowler Jason Peters feels that his pay is too low and has been trying to contact you for months to work out a new deal"

Brandon - "Pfft, didn't we just give him a new deal? Please, we would rather trade him away and replace him with a DB. The offensive line is by far the easiest position to fill and your client wasn't that good anyways. Who cares about Pro Bowl o-linemen, DB's are where winning teams spend all their money"

Parker - "But Sir, all the good teams build from the lines out and have top quality backups at ever spot on the line, plus you spent money last offseason for some o-linemen"

Brandon - " we only did that to piss off your client, if we cared about him we would have called him to give him a huge raise already. Screw him, we can put Chambers in there and we are just as good, maybe even better. And besides, Mr. Rodgers told Ralph he doesn't want any more high priced players on the team until he successfully has the team in Toronto. Thats why we never drafted any. Now get out of my office, i have to pretend to care about making the playoffs, but we all know this team doesn't because Ralph lives off the misery of Buffalonians and its all that keeps him alive"

Parker - "My client has said he will sit out for a long as it takes to get a new deal, the fans won't be happy to hear that"

Brandon - "Screw the fans, we already have sold more seasons tickets then usual this year. Tell your client to get a comfy chair cause he will be sitting for a long time, and we will double his fines for sitting out! Now get out of my office, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Mr. Hamdan, please escort this man off the property"

The conversation could have been about how Peters is doing after surgery. His agent may have said that they were looking to re-do his deal, or that he isn't happy with his current deal. No where does it say they spoke numbers, or discussed figures either. The conversation may have also gone like this

Parker (after completing Hardy's deal) - "Hey Brandon (or who ever negotiates contracts), so my other client, Peters, has some issues with his contract"

Brandon - "Oh, ok, so how is he doing? Is he 100% from his surgery now? Is he in shape and ready for Training Camp in a few days?"

Parker - " Yeah, he is doing good after the surgery, but he said he wants to re-negotiate his contract to be paid as the best O-linemen on the team before he reports to camp"

Brandon - "Ok, Didn't we just do this 2 years ago? Well he did really step up, and he did get voted to the Pro Bowl. I will tell you what, you tell him that if he reports to camp we will sit down and talk some new numbers"

Parker - "No, he says he won't show up unless he has a new deal in place first, he is not happy about being underpaid as a Pro bowler"

Brandon - "Tell him to report and we will talk. I gotta go, I have a meeting with McKelvins agent followed by Dinner with Lee Evans and his agent. If he reports we will work out a fair deal"

Of course theres always the Obie/TBD chicken little crowd theory about hot the discussion went

Parker - "Mr. Brandon Sir, my client, your only Pro Bowler Jason Peters feels that his pay is too low and has been trying to contact you for months to work out a new deal"

Brandon - "Pfft, didn't we just give him a new deal? Please, we would rather trade him away and replace him with a DB. The offensive line is by far the easiest position to fill and your client wasn't that good anyways. Who cares about Pro Bowl o-linemen, DB's are where winning teams spend all their money"

Parker - "But Sir, all the good teams build from the lines out and have top quality backups at ever spot on the line, plus you spent money last offseason for some o-linemen"

Brandon - " we only did that to piss off your client, if we cared about him we would have called him to give him a huge raise already. Screw him, we can put Chambers in there and we are just as good, maybe even better. And besides, Mr. Rodgers told Ralph he doesn't want any more high priced players on the team until he successfully has the team in Toronto. Thats why we never drafted any. Now get out of my office, i have to pretend to care about making the playoffs, but we all know this team doesn't because Ralph lives off the misery of Buffalonians and its all that keeps him alive"

Parker - "My client has said he will sit out for a long as it takes to get a new deal, the fans won't be happy to hear that"

Brandon - "Screw the fans, we already have sold more seasons tickets then usual this year. Tell your client to get a comfy chair cause he will be sitting for a long time, and we will double his fines for sitting out! Now get out of my office, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Mr. Hamdan, please escort this man off the property"

Your version is what transpired back in January -

The rest sounds about right

Inconceivable that Peters stayed away from all off season activities without some understanding of the Bills position to not give him a raise.

That could easily have been the conversation. And that means they "talked numbers" (as Brandon would surely know what the top OL on the team as well as in the league makes per season, and he surely would predict that Peters wants to be paid amongst the very top in the league since he's considered to be amongst the very top in the league, and is very young). It also means both sides know exactly where the other side stands, and that there is nothing more to talk about until one side changes their mind. Which is exactly what I said.

And like I also said, it's an affront to a four year olds brain to think that Peters is holding out and the Bills have no idea why or what he is asking for, and the agent didn't ask for anything, he is just holding his client out.

That could easily have been the conversation. And that means they "talked numbers" (as Brandon would surely know what the top OL on the team as well as in the league makes per season, and he surely would predict that Peters wants to be paid amongst the very top in the league since he's considered to be amongst the very top in the league, and is very young). It also means both sides know exactly where the other side stands, and that there is nothing more to talk about until one side changes their mind. Which is exactly what I said.

And like I also said, it's an affront to a four year olds brain to think that Peters is holding out and the Bills have no idea why or what he is asking for, and the agent didn't ask for anything, he is just holding his client out.

well - you just affronted many of the posters on this board -

the Bills said it - it must be true