Here we go again...

blzrul

Floriduh Starts Already

It would seem to me that after the debacle in 2000 there should be some centralized database of voters that maps their addresses to proper polling places. And if a voter shows up to the wrong place because they're new to town, were redistricted or their polling place got exploded by a hurricane, there should be a way to validate their registration and tell them where to go.

However this is FloriDUH so hey, just toss out the votes, whether legitimate or not.

Anyone bothered by this?

Floriduh Starts Already

It would seem to me that after the debacle in 2000 there should be some centralized database of voters that maps their addresses to proper polling places.  And if a voter shows up to the wrong place because they're new to town, were redistricted or their polling place got exploded by a hurricane, there should be a way to validate their registration and tell them where to go.

However this is FloriDUH so hey, just toss out the votes, whether legitimate or not.

Anyone bothered by this?

75490[/snapback]

My reaction is the same as it was in 2000: the right to vote carries with it the responsibility to do it properly. Vote's not counted because you can't punch a hole in a piece of paper? Should've pressed harder. Vote's not counted because you went to the wrong polling place? Should've double-checked where you were going before you left (and shouldn't have been allowed to vote to begin with...that's the state's fault).

Call me insensitive...but I don't see it as the government's responsibility to account for the stupidity of the population. It's one thing if the government's disenfranchising voters...this isn't that one thing. This is voters disenfranchising themselves, as is their right.

(Having said that...Florida needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century with regards to their electoral law, it would seem. But again...that's the Florida electorate's fault, for not electing people or pressing for laws that would actually fix the system.)

Floriduh Starts Already

It would seem to me that after the debacle in 2000 there should be some centralized database of voters that maps their addresses to proper polling places.  And if a voter shows up to the wrong place because they're new to town, were redistricted or their polling place got exploded by a hurricane, there should be a way to validate their registration and tell them where to go.

Anyone bothered by this?

75490[/snapback]

Wow, were do I start?

First of all, what the heck is wrong with just following the rules? The rules are the same for everyone, not just one party or the other. Looks to me like the courts were asked to decide, and they did. By the way the vote was unanimous, are you saying that all of the judges are looking to disenfranchises demcratic voters?

Come n this is really not that difficult. There is a place to go and vote, and it is your responsibilty to KNOW where that place is. The voteing booths are not hidden from plain sight, they are not turning people away, the law simply says..." go where you are supposed to go"what the hell is so hard about just following the laws?

You make it seem as though this situation will only effect democrates or something. What are you saying that they are stupid and can't find these mystery hiden voting places. Did the "Man" not tell them were to go? Come on, this is stupid, and it is this kind of expectations that lead us to the place we were 4 years ago.

If someone is too stupid to find the place were they should vote...then maybe that is a sign that they hav no real business voting. I know that if I was not sure where to vote....I would find out.

If someone is too stupid to find the place were they should vote...then maybe that is a sign that they hav no real business voting. I know that if I was not sure where to vote....I would find out.

75549[/snapback]

Pretty much what I said...but I think my phrasing was a little kinder. :o

Pretty much what I said...but I think my phrasing was a little kinder.  :o

75552[/snapback]

There are a lot of people out there without your guys type A mentalities! I sort of agree.

When voting, it is essential you become obsessive compulsive. I tell people to stuff it when they are breathing down my back waiting in line!

I spoiled my ballot one time and I practically freaked.

The problem is the judges... They can't give specific instructions helping you or it is deemed that they might be showing favorites... The punch card adds to this confusion... Most of the time you get blank stares and shrugs if something goes wrong. If you don't take control of the situation, things will get ugly.

Anyone bothered by this?

75490[/snapback]

Nope. As Tom and Rich mentioned, (OK, anyone else scared that Tom and Rich are agreeing on something?) voting is a priviledge. With that, comes responsibility. It is not the government's responsibility to take the stupid people by the hand and lead them through life. Personal responsibility comes into play. If you do not know where to vote, who is at fault? The government? Nope. The voter is responsible. If there is a question, there are plenty of resources available to get your questions answered. It is not the government's fault that they are either too dumb or too lazy to find out where they should vote.

No, if you move, you have to reregister. If you don't know where to vote because you can't read your voter card, then too bad. Doesn't matter who you're are voting for, if you can't handle basic instructions then you don't earn the right to vote this year.

No, if you move, you have to reregister.  If you don't know where to vote because you can't read your voter card, then too bad.  Doesn't matter who you're are voting for, if you can't handle basic instructions then you don't earn the right to vote this year.

75691[/snapback]

VA, did you hear that Democrats are getting themselves into a lather in Philadelphia over the Republicans wanting to move polling places? They sound like blzrul, in saying that "people are being disenfranchised, blah, blah, blah." This is a blatant attempt to instill fear into the electorate, figuring they are too dumb to realize the true intent of the moves.

Reality is that the Republicans want the polling places moved because the bulk are handicpped inaccessible (yup, let's make sure we disenfranchise the votes of these people, because they physically cannot make it into the polls). Shameful act by the Democrats.

It is too bad the Republicans resort to these tactics as well, which makes them no better than the Democrats. The American people need to stand up, and let these parties know that these acts are disgusting, and they will no longer be tolerated.

Certainly the voter bears responsibility but so does the state. There are documented cases of people getting letters that their applications were not properly completed AFTER the deadline for registration.

So what recourse do they have?

In the cases yesterday, people reported to their usual polling places only to find their names not on the list. The poll workers should have been able to refer the voters to some central listing where they could find out whether they hadn't properly registered or whether their polling place had moved. Instead they just took the vote and if they couldn't find the name on the list, oh well.

When I registered here in WA I completed a form at a 4th of July parade. I trusted the individual who registered me to turn it in and until I got a confirmation in September I was NERVOUS. (Had I been in Las Vegas, I guess my registration may have been torn up and discarded.) Fortunately I got my stuff and in WA the deadline to register was last week, so there was time to check; but I could see where people could assume all was well only to find out too late. That's not right.

So it's not ALL on the voter. In particular since the election is 2 weeks away, the state of Florida has some time to put a little effort into making sure the votes are counted.

I'm not sure which county in Florida is the offender - it might be interesting to know.

Certainly the voter bears responsibility but so does the state.  There are documented cases of people getting letters that their applications were not properly completed AFTER the deadline for registration.

So what recourse do they have?

In the cases yesterday, people reported to their usual polling places only to find their names not on the list.  The poll workers should have been able to refer the voters to some central listing where they could find out whether they hadn't properly registered or whether their polling place had moved.  Instead they just took the vote and if they couldn't find the name on the list, oh well.

When I registered here in WA I completed a form at a 4th of July parade.  I trusted the individual who registered me to turn it in and until I got a confirmation in September I was NERVOUS.  (Had I been in Las Vegas, I guess my registration may have been torn up and discarded.)  Fortunately I got my stuff and in WA the deadline to register was last week, so there was time to check; but I could see where people could assume all was well only to find out too late.  That's not right. 

So it's not ALL on the voter.  In particular since the election is 2 weeks away, the state of Florida has some time to put a little effort into making sure the votes are counted.

I'm not sure which county in Florida is the offender - it might be interesting to know.

76088[/snapback]

And yet people want the government to control their health care? VERY smart.

I voted absentee last weekend. In the envelope with the ballot were instructions that stated clearly that the ballot must be received by the end of election day, no postmarks, that the circles had to be filled in and that the envelope had to be signed. There were at least 3 places this info was repeated including the outside of the envelope to be mailed in. There was even a big red arrow to the line where you had to sign. If someone is too stupid to not follow these instructions-too bad, they're too stupid to vote.

I voted absentee last weekend. In the envelope with the ballot were instructions that stated clearly that the ballot must be received by the end of election day, no postmarks, that the circles had to be filled in and that the envelope had to be signed. There were at least 3 places this info was repeated including the outside of the envelope to be mailed in. There was even a big red arrow to the line where you had to sign. If someone is too stupid to not follow these instructions-too bad, they're too stupid to vote.

76118[/snapback]

And that's great but don't make the mistake of assuming that all states are as efficient.

The first time I absentee voted in NY I received some cheesy paper and a STYLUS. What the heck? Where I lived we used the booths. I was very worried about completing the ballot properly and to this day I have no idea whether I did or not. The instructions were rather cryptic and, it impressed me at the time, written for some globe-trotting individual who was used to those sorts of things rather than to someone who was unfortunate enough to have to travel during an election.

I reiterate that the voter has the responsibility to do their best to register properly, go to the right polling place, and execute the ballot properly, but the states do not UNIFORMLY make those goals achievable. And when it comes to something as fundamental to our way of life as a vote, we should err on the side of the VOTER instead of the state.

How in the world do you equate everything this way?

Apples and oranges.

Just because it is your health doesn't make it the same.

76342[/snapback]

Because if an entity can't get something as simple as this process to work easily (especially with the frequency it happens), there is NO WAY IN HELL they aren't going to seriously screw up something with as many intangibles as health care.

I'd ask you to think about it, but given your track record...

OUCH! I'm agreeing with the Cons!

If you are too stupid to find out where you vote, maybe you shouldn't be voting. I've moved a few times & at it's been pretty easy for me to find out where the voting is being held. Unless you're voting in a town that moves your polling place & doesn't notify you of the move, you really have no excuse. If you're not sure a simple phone call before election day will get you the answer. The last time my voting place was changed (this year) the town sent me a postcard telling me it was moved from Town Hall to the library, no problem.

OUCH! I'm agreeing with the Cons!

If you are too stupid to find out where you vote, maybe you shouldn't be voting.  I've moved a few times & at it's been pretty easy for me to find out where the voting is being held.  Unless you're voting in a town that moves your polling place & doesn't notify you of the move, you really have no excuse.  If you're not sure a simple phone call before election day will get you the answer.  The last time my voting place was changed (this year) the town sent me a postcard telling me it was moved from Town Hall to the library, no problem.

76522[/snapback]

Gawd-there IS an issue to bring everyone together!

If you are too lazy to find out how and where to vote, you should be considered too lazy (I didn't say stupid, but they go hand in hand) to be allowed to vote.

Non-Issue. Oh, that's right-the poor downtrodden masses might have to take a bus and walk two blocks. Rights should be CONVIENIENT! By God!

I love this country, I really do-but damn! I'm considering Costa Rica.

I spoiled my ballot one time and I practically freaked.

75585[/snapback]

You soiled your ballot? Gross. Geez, voting is important, but you don't need to be so nervous as to deficate right there at the polling place.

Oh, wait, you said spoiled, never mind.

(P.S. When you cast your ballot for Kerry in two weeks, does that constitute spoiled or soiled?)

Floriduh Starts Already

Anyone bothered by this?

75490[/snapback]

I moved this year, and somehow (by the grace of God, I'm sure) I was able to figure out how to fill out a registration form for my new address. If these idiots can't figure out how to do that simple thing, their vote SHOULDN'T count.