Value of a kick returner

Saw this another message board.

talking about return skills raising one's draft stock.

Pretty surprising, though, is the low rating on McKelvin as a CB-

If these scout opinions are accurate, he may not be starting at CB week 1

Call it the "Devin Hester Effect." The Chicago Bears took a calculated gamble two years ago by drafting Hester in the second round almost entirely because of his kick-return skills. Hester has responded by returning four punts and seven kickoffs for touchdowns in his first two seasons. Now teams across the NFL are searching for players with similar game-changing ability on special teams.

And it helps explain why Troy cornerback Leodis McKelvin could get taken as early as the first round in April. McKelvin returned seven punts for touchdowns in his college career, including three during his stellar senior season. "There are some issues with him playing corner," said Frank Coyle of www.draftinsiders.com, referring to questions about McKelvin's technique and level of competition in college. "But he's going to come in and return punts and kicks and do it well. So I think that in itself has to move him up one or two rounds." Coyle rates McKelvin as the No. 43 overall prospect in this draft class, and other draft boards have him going late in the first round. Boise State offensive tackle Ryan Clady, UCF running back Kevin Smith and Houston wide receiver Donnie Avery – another potential special-teams demon – are the only non-"Big Six" league players rated ahead of McKelvin.

McKelvin isn't the only senior who should benefit from the NFL's increased emphasis on special teams. The days of return men with Cribbs' potential going undrafted probably have ended for the foreseeable future. Utah State wide receiver Kevin Robinson isn't in Mobile this week, but he should catch the eye of any NFL scout looking for an elite returner. Robinson averaged 16.2 yards on 401 touches to set an NCAA career record for all-purpose yards per play. He led the nation in punt return average (18.9) this past season, ranked sixth in kickoff returns (29.3) and scored two touchdowns – one on a punt return and one on a reception – in last week's East-West Shrine Game.

While Robinson won't be playing in the Senior Bowl, there a few other potential NFL return men joining McKelvin in Mobile. Avery and Purdue wide receiver Dorien Bryant each returned kickoffs for touchdowns this past season. Notre Dame safety Tom Zbikowski scored on three career punt returns, and Virginia Tech wide receiver Eddie Royal returned two punts for scores in '07. East Carolina running back Chris Johnson ranked 18th in the nation in kick-return average this season and set an NCAA bowl record with 408 all-purpose yards in the Pirates' Hawaii Bowl upset of Boise State. Johnson has wondered how the success of Hester and Cribbs might help his own pro prospects, but he also believes he could offer NFL teams an even greater dimension. "I look at those guys, and they really don't have a primary position," Johnson said. "And I've got a primary position. To have (special teams) as an asset is going to make my draft stock even higher."

But no matter how well these guys play on offense or defense, it's their game-changing ability on special teams that could separate them from the pack. That's particularly true of McKelvin, who is generally regarded as the top return man in this draft class. McKelvin led his team with 1,022 all-purpose yards last fall despite not taking a snap on offense. Wherever McKelvin ends up in the NFL, he ought to shake Cribbs' hand or buy Hester a dinner the first time his team faces the Browns or Bears. After all, those two guys are going to end up helping McKelvin make more money than if he'd entered the league a couple of years earlier.

link

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=765256

judging how we don't have any overt plans to make him return kicks this year and didn't have obvious deficiencies in the return game when we drafted him, I'd say we judged he was the best cornerback, and his ability to return kicks is just a nice bonus.

judging how we don't have any overt plans to make him return kicks this year and didn't have obvious deficiencies in the return game when we drafted him, I'd say we judged he was the best cornerback, and his ability to return kicks is just a nice bonus.

One would hope.

What elevated McKelvin's status more than anything was his play at the Senior Bowl (played AFTER the article was written). He was clearly the best DB out there and more than held his own against the superior kind of competition Coyle suggested he never saw in college (the 2006 game against Georgia Tech and Calvin Johnson notwithstanding). The combine solidified his status as the best DB prospect in the draft. So the paradigm shifted from his being a return guy that could help as a CB to being a CB who could help as a return man.

He will be our #1 CB far sooner than later. He's much more physically gifted than anyone else we currnently have at the position.

GO BILLS!!!

"There are some issues with him playing corner," said Frank Coyle of www.draftinsiders.com, referring to questions about McKelvin's technique and level of competition in college. "But he's going to come in and return punts and kicks and do it well. So I think that in itself has to move him up one or two rounds."

On the Troy schedule in 2007 (including their national ranking at the time Troy played them):

@ (21) Arkansas

@ (4) Florida

vs. Oklahoma State

@ (10) Georgia

2006:

@ (9) Florida State

@ Georgia Tech

@ (23) Nebraska

To his point though, DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora REALLY seemed to struggle with the upgrade in competition upon entering the NFL out of Troy. :rolleyes:

And the 2nd corner taken, Rogers-Cromartie, was also a mid-level collegian, playing in the Ohio Valley Conference for Tennessee State.

Given the draft the past few years, I trust our scouting department WAY more than some dude behind a keyboard employed by collegefootballrivals.com.

True. Interesting though, Hester's holding out at Chicago while under contract, wanting big money for his specialty. There's no apparent status quo for return guys to compare to. They hope he'll become a WR but he's not worthy of that positions' best pay. I heard on NFL Network that it's kind of a dilema for the Bears, but they'll fine him every day he's out.

Maybe a contract laden with incentives, like for instance, TD returns after 3 will pay $350k per to 6 scores. After 6, $500k.

Just a thought. The writer is probably right that teams will now look for these special guys in the draft. They are few and far between but they're game-changers.

I had been meaning to post this but keep gettin sidetracked...oh well

What is the opinion of those who have actually seen Leodis play? The Bills COULD NOT HAVE drafed him for kick/punt returns when we are already stocked at that position.

They must have seen something to think he would be a dominant corner....not a "pretty good" corner but at the 11th pick a DOMINATING corner

True. Interesting though, Hester's holding out at Chicago while under contract, wanting big money for his specialty. There's no apparent status quo for return guys to compare to. They hope he'll become a WR but he's not worthy of that positions' best pay. I heard on NFL Network that it's kind of a dilema for the Bears, but they'll fine him every day he's out.

Hester and Booker are will likely going be the Bears #1 and #1A receivers this year. He scores (what seems like) about 70% of their TD's. I would think he's entitled to a raise above what he was originally paid to be their nickel CB and returner.

Good kick returners are only necessary for teams with a weak defense that allow the opposing teams kicker on the field too often.

I had been meaning to post this but keep gettin sidetracked...oh well

What is the opinion of those who have actually seen Leodis play? The Bills COULD NOT HAVE drafed him for kick/punt returns when we are already stocked at that position.

They must have seen something to think he would be a dominant corner....not a "pretty good" corner but at the 11th pick a DOMINATING corner

Absolutely. No way we draft him there with his return skills as the main factor. We already have two of the best returners in the league. He was drafted to be a solid #1 corner, his return abilities are gravy.