What is the definition of chocolate cake?

Steely Dan

Chocolate Cake  

72 members have voted

1. 1. In my opinion the classic chocolate cake is defined as...

• A yellow cake mix with chocolate icing.
    • A chocolate cake mix with any icing.
    • A chocolate cake mix with chocolate icing only.
    • Other - Please define.

My brother and brother in law think of chocolate cake as a yellow cake mix with chocolate icing. IMO, this is nuts. I define chocolate cake as a chocolate cake mix and any icing, but especially chocolate icing.

They both say that chocolate cake mix is also chocolate cake but the first thing they think of is yellow cake with chocolate icing. They call that the "classic" chocolate cake.

What's your definition?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother and brother in law think of chocolate cake as a yellow cake mix with chocolate icing. IMO, this is nuts. I define chocolate cake as a chocolate cake mix and any icing, but especially chocolate icing.

They both say that chocolate cake mix is also chocolate cake but the first thing they think of is yellow cake with chocolate icing. They call that the "classic" chocolate cake.

What's your definition?

Your family is stupid! :thumbsup: Chocolate cake is by definition....chocolate CAKE. I will add that anyone who puts anything but chocolate icing on a chocolate cake is a communist. :unsure:

Chocolate cake is chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Technically if it is chocolate cake mix with any other icing it's still chocolate CAKE but how often to you see chocolate cake with vanilla icing? He has no logical argument and it never ceases to amaze me as to why I respond in these threads.... :rolleyes::blush:

Chocolate cake is chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Technically if it is chocolate cake mix with any other icing it's still chocolate CAKE but how often to you see chocolate cake with vanilla icing? He has no logical argument and it never ceases to amaze me as to why I respond in these threads.... :rolleyes::blush:

It's a poll that I'm keeping them apprised of. Theys nuts.

Now in an effort to save face after informing him of the poll results my brother said to ask you guys what you would call a yellow cake mix with chocolate frosting on it. My answer is a yellow cake. He says yellow is not a flavor and cake is defined by the icing.

I know, my kin is really stupid.

So now the question is what do you call a yellow cake with chocolate icing? :rolleyes::blush:

BTW, my brother will stick to an argument no matter how dumb he looks when he's proven wrong and continues to argue.

Now in an effort to save face after informing him of the poll results my brother said to ask you guys what you would call a yellow cake mix with chocolate frosting on it. My answer is a yellow cake. He says yellow is not a flavor and cake is defined by the icing.

I know, my kin is really stupid.

So now the question is what do you call a yellow cake with chocolate icing? :rolleyes::blush:

BTW, my brother will stick to an argument no matter how dumb he looks when he's proven wrong and continues to argue.

Is marble a flavor?