It sure would be nice

eball

I read this morning Baltimore signed all of their remaining picks yesterday, as they begin camp today. I'd like to see the Bills similarly get the business end of things taken care of so no camp is missed by McKelvin, Hardy, Ellis, etc. I find it curiously amusing Whitner -- who signed a week into camp as a rookie -- is the guy who has taken McKelvin and Hardy under his wing. I wonder what sort of advice he has given them with respect to getting in on time.

I agree. S'up with that?

The financial format has been set at the top, so why the delay in filing in?? There's expectation that both our top picks will start this year, maybe even on opening day. They'll need to be in camp from the git-go.

There's nothing to worry about until the doors actually open at St. John Fisher. Nobody has expressed some disastrous situation with the negotiations, and virtually all 2nd and 3rd round picks come into camp. They'll be there - McKelvin might be a day or two late, but Whitner got through that okay. It's the month-long holdouts that are trouble.

It could be worse, according to this article, written on 7/9, the bungles had none of their 10 draft picks signed at that point. Found an article from the 15th and they were down to 7, so even the bungles are getting players signed.

We all know how this works, it happens every year. The Player signing pace will pick up rapidly as training camp nears. Once the above and below picks sign, the player is slotted at an in between salary and signing is easy. Be patient, no need to panic yet.....GO BILLS!!!!

Be patient, no need to panic yet.....GO BILLS!!!!

Two of my favorite offseason pastimes: watching people panic because we're not signing free agents that they believe we should sign, and watching people panic because we haven't signed all of our picks going into training camp. Bonus points for comments like "Hell, even Miami is signing it's picks! They're gonna kick our ass this year if we don't get going soon!!"

Some people are maroons. Thank god for maroons.

I read this morning Baltimore signed all of their remaining picks yesterday, as they begin camp today. I'd like to see the Bills similarly get the business end of things taken care of so no camp is missed by McKelvin, Hardy, Ellis, etc. I find it curiously amusing Whitner -- who signed a week into camp as a rookie -- is the guy who has taken McKelvin and Hardy under his wing. I wonder what sort of advice he has given them with respect to getting in on time.

That Whitner is such a problem for the team. He is probably talking all of them into holding out until the Detriot game, just to stick it to cheap old Ralphy.

:blink:

Dude, This happens every year. Most teams wait until the last minute to sign their picks. The Ravens have all their Picks done BECAUSE THEY HAVE STARTED CAMP.

God Friday can't get here soon enough so these posts will stop.

Two of my favorite offseason pastimes: watching people panic because we're not signing free agents that they believe we should sign, and watching people panic because we haven't signed all of our picks going into training camp. Bonus points for comments like "Hell, even Miami is signing it's picks! They're gonna kick our ass this year if we don't get going soon!!"

Some people are maroons. Thank god for maroons.

Not that I really give a crap, but my post certainly wasn't an indication I'm in "panic mode" -- just some musings as we approach the start of camp in three days.

Dude, This happens every year. Most teams wait until the last minute to sign their picks. The Ravens have all their Picks done BECAUSE THEY HAVE STARTED CAMP.

God Friday can't get here soon enough so these posts will stop.

Glad you took the time to type that. A tip for the future -- it's just as easy to skip over threads you're not interested in.

It's so annoying that teams take so long to get their guys signed. I mean they have almost three months after they draft them to sign them.

I certainly understand having to wait a while to determine the "slotting" of the contracts -- nobody wants to be the dumbass who overpays at a certain position -- but it does seem to be a bit silly that we always get down to the last week before significant activity occurs.

Glad you took the time to type that. A tip for the future -- it's just as easy to skip over threads you're not interested in.

I guess i could say the same to you about not looking for similiar topics before posting. Right?

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=68363

There are two reasons why the players tend to not sign until a day or two before training camp.

1) Teams will lowball the contracts and the players will be high. They will meet in the middle. Negiotations take time.

2) Teams have to give out millions in guaranteed money. As soon as the contract is signed they have to hand it over. They don't want to pay the money until they have to.

Get 'er done Brandon... Get 'er Done!

We still have 2 days... not worried yet... :blink:

As was mentioned in the first post - Baltimore finished signing their picks the first day of camp... This is "normal"... And with the termination of the CBA, it muddies all contracts for agents and teams.

Peters is an interesting situation... they've altered his contract once... now, he makes a Pro-Bowl and deserves more, but how much more? The fact he missed all pre-camp work is a bit alarming in terms of "character". He's under contract and should be involved. I'm sort of torn and can see both sides of it.

I guess i could say the same to you about not looking for similiar topics before posting. Right?

There are two reasons why the players tend to not sign until a day or two before training camp.

1) Teams will lowball the contracts and the players will be high. They will meet in the middle. Negiotations take time.

2) Teams have to give out millions in guaranteed money. As soon as the contract is signed they have to hand it over. They don't want to pay the money until they have to.

which is why the league needs to adopt a rookie pay scale where no negotiation is necessary. Drastically reduce the pay at the top of the draft and slot all picks to a fixed scale.

All picks could be signed within a week of the draft, like in the NBA.

Change the rule so players can only attend mini-camp if they are signed and there would not be a problem with delayed signings

Sorry, I've got better things to do than scour generic topics before I post a couple of thoughts. Like I said, you could have easily ignored my thread, and I certainly didn't drag the board to a screeching halt with my post.

You don't say! Thanks for the Negotiations 101 lesson, professor!

That actually makes some sense. Thanks for contributing something of interest to the thread, rather than just being a jackass.