Does Anyone Actually See JP Pushing Edwards.....

H2o

During his entire stay here, I was thinking that some day he would put it all together. I wouldn't have been shocked to see him develop into a very good qb at Tampa, or even on Washington. Then, I was at RWS when the Skins brought him in against us and he was nearly killed. :lol:

Nice. It would've been great to see that one in person.

TOTAL NON-SEQUITOR: one thing I was always waiting waiting waiting for was a long scramble from JP, and it just NEVER happened. Everyone kept saying it was because SF made him stay in the pocket, stay in the pocket. But I distinctly remember situations where Trent would tuck it when they needed 4-6 yards, and get the first down. This was something that used to ENRAGE me about JP. When you stand and stand and stand, unless the defense has two LB's spying (in which case SOMEBODY has to be open), there's got to be room somewhere (especially for a quick-footed, slippery guy like JP) to get those 5 yards and keep the chains moving. But it just never happened.

I am trying to understand your point. You were waiting for JP to have a LONG scramble but in comparison you remember Trent scrambling for short - medium yardage when required. Some stats:

JP in 37 games rushed 91 times for 419 yards: 2.46 rushes/game at a 4.6 yard/rush

TE in 10 games rushed 14 times for 49 yards: 1.4 rushes/game at a 3.5 yard/rush

JP attempted to rush more times and gained more on average per rush.

Because he can throw a deep fastball with little air under it. He doesn't have Bledsoe/Marino arm strength mind you, but he can zip it in as if he is throwing a baseball.

I was surprised when I first saw him run as well. He can motor, and has more than 1 gear (sorry to talk in cliches). :lol:

That is not true. The deep balls I remember he puts a ton of air under the ball. He throws it a long way, I will give you that.

That is not true. The deep balls I remember he puts a ton of air under the ball. He throws it a long way, I will give you that.

No doubt JP can throw the deep SIDELINE pass. Incredible arm strength. Well above average.

Problem is the deep SIDELINE pass is the EASIEST pass to take away from an offense especially when an offense has only one consistent threat to beat them with it and NOBODY else to beat single coverage consistently.

Gee, where have we seen just that?

GO BILLS!!!

I am trying to understand your point. You were waiting for JP to have a LONG scramble but in comparison you remember Trent scrambling for short - medium yardage when required. Some stats:

JP in 37 games rushed 91 times for 419 yards: 2.46 rushes/game at a 4.6 yard/rush

TE in 10 games rushed 14 times for 49 yards: 1.4 rushes/game at a 3.5 yard/rush

JP attempted to rush more times and gained more on average per rush.

Those are interesting stats, and keep in mind I'm going on memories here.

I was WAITING for Flutie like scrambles, would have settled for EFFECTIVE, 4-5 yard scrambles for firsts, but never seemed to get either, especially in situations- like Gordio pointed out- when the opportunity seeeemed to be there. And in those situations where he stood and stood and stood and stood (see my first post here for what I have to assume must have been going on downfiled with the defense), only needing 3-6 yards he ultimately spiked it off Royal's feet three yards away, chucked one deep or sent a laser sailing by 5 would-be receivers (3 of them defenders).

I also operate under the mantra that "stats don't tell the tale" so I'll take your numbers with a grain of salt, not to be stubborn, but just because I distinctly remember Trent being a more EFFECTIVE scrambler. I remeber it being that way because it seemed backwards at the time (and still does).

Of course JP is going to push Edwards. Does anyone think that Edwards is just going to take it for granted that the backup QB is the former starter, very popular with his teammates, and has at least SOME ability? Yes, JP will have to do that pushing with far less reps with the first unit (just like Edwards pushed JP last pre-season) but there is nothing in JP's work ethic to suggest he won't at least give it his best shot.

I look for JP to push Edwards A LOT. Both on the field and in the classroom. Maybe even in the food line at dinner, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Those are interesting stats, and keep in mind I'm going on memories here.

I was WAITING for Flutie like scrambles, would have settled for EFFECTIVE, 4-5 yard scrambles for firsts, but never seemed to get either, especially in situations- like Gordio pointed out- when the opportunity seeeemed to be there. And in those situations where he stood and stood and stood and stood (see my first post here for what I have to assume must have been going on downfiled with the defense), only needing 3-6 yards he ultimately spiked it off Royal's feet three yards away, chucked one deep or sent a laser sailing by 5 would-be receivers (3 of them defenders).

I also operate under the mantra that "stats don't tell the tale" so I'll take your numbers with a grain of salt, not to be stubborn, but just because I distinctly remember Trent being a more EFFECTIVE scrambler. I remeber it being that way because it seemed backwards at the time (and still does).

It's not news that Jauron wanted JP to stay in the pocket more and not run often. Jaron would be frightened by a QB that played anything like Flutie.

The one against the jests was as you described; this is true. Still, JP is able to throw some bombs without much air. Remember the passes in 06 vs. the phish?

Bledsoe and Marino could throw 30 yard out patterns from their bent elbows. They would fick their wrists and do it. This is virtually impossible. Elway threw across the field on the run. Again, this is barely possible.

JP throws a fastball. He has an extremely strong arm. As you surely know, I prefer Trent as a quarterback. I am merely trying to give JP due credit.

JP might be in the better position of the 2 QBs. Trent right now is betting his career on a coaching staff with zero history of developing a QB into a decent one. Statistically speaking, JP's 2006 season might be the best ever by a Jauron coached QB. JP may end up next year in a better coaching situation and end up having himself a nice career as a starter, fueled in part by the tremendous motivation that the Bills will leave on him.

Dream on homie. JP may start for a team with other scrubs at the qb position but is not a capable NFL starter.

Dream on homie. JP may start for a team with other scrubs at the qb position but is not a capable NFL starter.

You're awfully sure of yourself. Time will tell. Never count a guy out who has the ability to do something, a great desire to do it and people who say he can't. The world is full of people who have overcome obstacles such as this and the NFL has its share.

I hate when people compare Losman to Johnson.How many times did Johnson have 20 td seasons ?I also get a kick out of the people who say that he can't complete short passes when his only year as a starter our number two receiver[P.Price] average 8.2 yards a catch and that was with 49 catches.He did complete around 63% of his passes,they couldn't be all long passes.I think 2006 showed that he is able to be a starter in the N.F.L.He did good that year with P.Price was our number two reciever, the worst starting reciever in the NFL and Royal starting at te.I can see why he looked for Evans alot.

I hate when people compare Losman to Johnson.How many times did Johnson have 20 td seasons ?I also get a kick out of the people who say that he can't complete short passes when his only year as a starter our number two receiver[P.Price] average 8.2 yards a catch and that was with 49 catches.He did complete around 63% of his passes,they couldn't be all long passes.I think 2006 showed that he is able to be a starter in the N.F.L.He did good that year with P.Price was our number two reciever, the worst starting reciever in the NFL and Royal starting at te.I can see why he looked for Evans alot.

JP's combined completion percentage for '06 and '07 is the same as Trent's for attempts of 1-10 yards and higher than Trent's in every other (longer pass) category. Apparently though when you bounce one off the carpet, fans weigh that higher than when you throw it behind the receiver or over his head. JP loses "style points" for short passes based on this. JP had a higher rate of throwing for first downs last year than Trent (33% vs 30%) but Trent's cost per first down is much less due to his lower salary which helps to keep ticket prices down. Lastly, JP attempted 14 passes of 31 yards or more last year to Trent's 10 even though Trent had 50% more attempts. JP also completed 42% of these passes putting him among the league leaders in this category, but long passes make Jauron nervous. Apparently Jauron did not feel that changing the QB alone would reduce the risky long passes so a new coordinator that would emphasize the short pass (using basic geometry such as a triangle) was chosen as well.

You're awfully sure of yourself. Time will tell. Never count a guy out who has the ability to do something, a great desire to do it and people who say he can't. The world is full of people who have overcome obstacles such as this and the NFL has its share.

I agree with you taking the challenge of Mr. Wonderful as I think JP is by tangible measures in better shape than Edwards at this moment. The reasons are thus:

1. Contractually, JP has one season to go til he is an FA and Edwards has another 3 or maybe 4 til he hits FA and this puts Losman on the face of it in a better position contractually.

2. JP basically as the #2 faces three general contract possibilities:

A. His play in a limited role simply sucks but even under these circumstances he likely scores not the biggest but still a pretty substantial FA deal. He is a former starter at QB in the NFL and a relatively young one at that. Even if he sucks this season the Bills will play him as little as possible if he is ineffective so his QB rating number s will still be pretty good for a player. All he needs is to sign one contract and someone likely will talk themselves into JP being their savior and accept most of the excuses for his bad plays. Even if he sucks JP likely still makes a significant FA killing even if a lot of it is conditional.

B. More likely, JP will play the way he has before as a sub and just like him coming off the bench and winning the Jets game and actually stringing together a series of wins, he if he plays should give someone a real reason for hope and he makes a killing. Sure someone can claim they can see the future of his play and he will never be good, but beyond these simple opinions if JP performs off the bench like he did last year he makes a killing.

C. The third case is that he gets in (due to injury or a sophomore slump by Edwards and he plays great, If so he writes his own ticket,

Contractually even if he is bad he still makes huge bucks.

Contractually Edwards on the other hand showed good stuff last year but he needs to put together several impressive years before he can be deemed to be in great shape contractually,