Scouts Inc. on the Bills "O"

H2o

But something doesn't add up. If there are 9 defenders in the box and Evans is double covered, that means that Reed was completely uncovered. Even if it was 8 in the box and Evans was double covered and Reed was single covered, then the offense is actually just running against a conventional defense. (There is nothing magical about "8 in the box," other than a S is playing up on the 2nd level -- 4 DL, 3 LBs, and the SS up playing the run.)

This is the NFL. Ralph dropped big bags of bucks on some of these OL. Is it that they can't block or is it that Lynch can't find the holes? Or, is it that the Bills TEs and H-backs suck? Having an H-back that can't block and a TE that can't block is a serious problem; it means the RB has to beat 3 defenders instead of 1.

Didn't mean to imply Evans was doubled when facing 9 man fronts. Of course he was singled and we tried to get the ball to him many of those times but too often didn't have the time with all those rushers coming after the QB when they read pass. Against the 8 man fronts he routinely saw man-over coverage with our other WR singled up. While 8 in the box is nothing new it DOES present numbers problems for the blockers. You can't block 8 guys with 5 Olineman. Forces you to use the TE and H-back to counter. That still leaves someone unaccounted for and that's usually the guy that blows up the play. But the bigger issue is what those 8 man fronts do to the running game. Makes it VERY difficult to operate in crowded space. Again, if we have another WR that can routinely beat single coverage and a TE that can exploit the space given in the middle of the field by those crowded fronts, Ds would loosen up in a hurry. Teams played us the way they did because they knew we didn't have the personnel to exploit it. It was just too easy to force us into unmanageable down/distance situations as a result. Especially when, as you say, your TE and HBack aren't very good blockers and your RB is undisciplined.

Now many would argue that we DID have the personnel and it was Fairchild's fault for not using it. Well, when neither your #2 or #3 WR is an actual WR that makes it difficult. Reed is strong enough but not good at seperation when split wide where the sideline acts as another defender. Parrish is certainly quick enough but is weak against the press and, again, limited by the sideline. Too easy just to push him that way to disrupt his routes long enough to mess up the timing. And again this is all happening with a crowded D front that's just DARING you to do it. Can't run effectively, can't pass effectively.

We had success when spreading the Ds but lacked the personnel to do that consistantly because spread formations make you vulnerable at the edges and you need superior QB play along with your other skill players to be able to recognize their reads. I'm not sure it's wise to do that too often with a rookie QB and guys like Parrish and Royal who often miss their reads. Reed would be ideal in the slot. He's good at reading defenses. As is Evans. That's about it from what I saw last year.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a key problem is that people don't really understand what the head coach actually does. The head coach does not get to work with each unit, nor should they try. Their role is to keep everyone on the same page, and to get the most production possible out of what they have. Unlike in other sports, a head football coach is much like a CEO. This is due to the fact that you just have too many players to work individually with. Yes, they are responsible and accountable for the production of each unit. Unfortunately, that analogy is also why so many of them burn out so quickly, trying to do way too much.

The key problem in your post is that head coaching an NFL football team is nothing like being the leader of a corporation as you suggested. It parallels a military chain of command not the business world. Maybe that's why the Bills have been so freaking pathetic! :blink:

Your right in the sense that being a CEO is exactly how Jauron approaches his job. He hires the subordinates then just oversees the disaster all the while avoiding blame at all costs. Doesn't get his hands dirty.

Well maybe THAT'S why he sucks so bad as a head coach. ALL of the great head coaches were great "Generals" who were great tacticians during "battle". Knowing how best to plan the attack of the opposition and how to adjust "on the fly" so to speak.

Thank you for finally pointing out the main reason why Dick Jauron has been a complete failure as an NFL head coach.

The key problem in your post is that head coaching an NFL football team is nothing like being the leader of a corporation as you suggested. It parallels a military chain of command not the business world. Maybe that's why the Bills have been so freaking pathetic! :blink:

Your right in the sense that being a CEO is exactly how Jauron approaches his job. He hires the subordinates then just oversees the disaster all the while avoiding blame at all costs. Doesn't get his hands dirty.

Well maybe THAT'S why he sucks so bad as a head coach. ALL of the great head coaches were great "Generals" who were great tacticians during "battle". Knowing how best to plan the attack of the opposition and how to adjust "on the fly" so to speak.

Thank you for finally pointing out the main reason why Dick Jauron has been a complete failure as an NFL head coach.

Actually, there are a lot of parallels in all three. Leadership process remains the same, no matter what the task you are trying to accomplish. I was using that as an example because there are so many subordinates that it is nearly impossible to interact with all of them.

You could make a similar analogy between the general formulating a plan of attack to defeat the enemy to a CEO planning on how to dominate a market. In the end, the leader's skill set is very similar, but the task is different.

I can't bank on anything in this post.

You can't bank on the idea that Jauron will be here next year if the defense is top-10, the team plays hard, penalties stay low...and a mediocre offense holds us back? That means the team is playing smart, yet impassioned football, and has a championship-calibre defense. All thats missing is a quality X's and O's guy on the offensive side of the ball. There's no reason to blow that up, unless you want to be to Dick Jauron what Tampa Bay was to Tony Dungy.

There's no reason to think Jauron has some magical flaw that denies him the ability to field a good offense, any more than there was reason to think that about Dungy before Indianapolis hired him.

Again: give Dick Jauron Tom Moore and Peyton Manning and you have a great offense. Give him Steve Fairchild and a quarterback controversy, and you have that thing we saw last year.

There's no magic involved: just find a good coordinator. And if you don't think Jauron is capable of hiring a good coordinator, then take that power out of his hands.

You can't bank on the idea that Jauron will be here next year if the defense is top-10, the team plays hard, penalties stay low...and a mediocre offense holds us back? That means the team is playing smart, yet impassioned football, and has a championship-calibre defense. All thats missing is a quality X's and O's guy on the offensive side of the ball. There's no reason to blow that up, unless you want to be to Dick Jauron what Tampa Bay was to Tony Dungy.

There's no reason to think Jauron has some magical flaw that denies him the ability to field a good offense, any more than there was reason to think that about Dungy before Indianapolis hired him.

Again: give Dick Jauron Tom Moore and Peyton Manning and you have a great offense. Give him Steve Fairchild and a quarterback controversy, and you have that thing we saw last year.

There's no magic involved: just find a good coordinator. And if you don't think Jauron is capable of hiring a good coordinator, then take that power out of his hands.

I think the Bills have about equal talent on both sides of the ball now. This assumes that Hardy can be a difference maker for at least a portion of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see the defense outperform the offense this year since Jauron's teams have almost always ranked better on defense than offense. What I question is Jauron (who has to know himself after coaching for 7-8 years as a head coach) has had poor offenses. Sometimes you have to look yourself in the mirror, know what you are and if you want better results, be willing to do what it takes to get them. To me, that would have been making a comprehensive search for a new OC and chosing the guy that you think would give you the best results. How hard did he look before hiring Turk? Why not bring a bunch of other candidates to town for a look. Turk might be great and at this point we have to give him a chance, but if it doesn't go too well Jauron looks horrible for "taking the past of least resistence".

I think the Bills have about equal talent on both sides of the ball now. This assumes that Hardy can be a difference maker for at least a portion of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see the defense outperform the offense this year since Jauron's teams have almost always ranked better on defense than offense. What I question is Jauron (who has to know himself after coaching for 7-8 years as a head coach) has had poor offenses. Sometimes you have to look yourself in the mirror, know what you are and if you want better results, be willing to do what it takes to get them. To me, that would have been making a comprehensive search for a new OC and chosing the guy that you think would give you the best results. How hard did he look before hiring Turk? Why not bring a bunch of other candidates to town for a look. Turk might be great and at this point we have to give him a chance, but if it doesn't go too well Jauron looks horrible for "taking the past of least resistence".

I really can't disagree with anything in this post. I would hope that if Turk doesn't work out, we don't go burning Jauron at the stake. Instead, we should accept its possible he just doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to hiring offensive coordinators, much like both Tony Dungy and Wade Phillips. If someone else could find him a coordinator, which is exactly what was done for Dungy and Phillips, he could be as successful as those guys have been in their current stops.

I really can't disagree with anything in this post. I would hope that if Turk doesn't work out, we don't go burning Jauron at the stake. Instead, we should accept its possible he just doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to hiring offensive coordinators, much like both Tony Dungy and Wade Phillips. If someone else could find him a coordinator, which is exactly what was done for Dungy and Phillips, he could be as successful as those guys have been in their current stops.

maybe if he just interviewed one or two that actually had experience as an OC, he might have a better idea as to what they do. :thumbsup:

It seems like the concept of surrounding oneself with the best people to improve the chances for success should not be a novel concept. The default hiring of Schonert was a move made to maintain the general status quo (given Jauron's own statements), which is troubling in that the status quo was terrible and dramatic improvement is obviously necessary. In fact, maintaining the status quo flies in the face of what some Jauron die-hards argue in his defense: the hiring of Fairchild and the installation of the Martz offense was a major mistake. The off-season approach to the offense, basically to add no free agents of note at all and a 2nd round WR, also speaks to the notion that the brain trust believes the offense will flourish with a few minor tweaks.

Maybe not. It never helped Phillips find an offensive genius here. Maybe some guys just don't know enough about offense to make a quality hiring.

If Jauron has yet ANOTHER year of a pathetically predictable, conservative low scoring offense which is the cause of this team not making the playoffs for the ninth straight season then THAT is on him. Throwing your hands in the air and saying "I don't know offense" is not an excuse anymore when every team except one of the seven season's he's been a head coach has ranked near the bottom of the league in offense. Why there's such a tight unwavering bond with Bills fans and this loser I will never know.

So you're going to have confidence he'll get it right in his NINTH season as a head coach in '09 as long as someone smarter than him chooses to take over the OC hiring duties???? That's an amazing leap of faith. He's an ok NFL defensive coordinator, he's NOT head coaching material, period.

If Jauron has yet ANOTHER year of a pathetically predictable, conservative low scoring offense which is the cause of this team not making the playoffs for the ninth straight season then THAT is on him. Throwing your hands in the air and saying "I don't know offense" is not an excuse anymore when every team except one of the seven season's he's been a head coach has ranked near the bottom of the league in offense. Why there's such a tight unwavering bond with Bills fans and this loser I will never know.

So you're going to have confidence he'll get it right in his NINTH season as a head coach in '09 as long as someone smarter than him chooses to take over the OC hiring duties???? That's an amazing leap of faith. He's an ok NFL defensive coordinator, he's NOT head coaching material, period.

I see similarities between Jauron and Tony Dungy. Other than running the same defensive system, they're both laid-back guys who like to promote a family environment, rather then cracking the whip on their players' backs. Players love playing for both of them. If not knowing enough about offense didn't hold Dungy back, and he was able to rise above mediocrity when paired with a savvy offensive coach, I don't see why Jauron wouldn't be able to do the same. Do you?

Your entire post could be addressed to a Bills fan who was loyal to Wade Phillips after Homerun Throwup. Yet we've seen Phillips go on and have success when the delegation of the offensive coordinator was taken out of his hands.

If Schonert fails, its time to consider the possibility that Jauron is another one of these guys.

I see similarities between Jauron and Tony Dungy. Other than running the same defensive system, they're both laid-back guys who like to promote a family environment, rather then cracking the whip on their players' backs. Players love playing for both of them. If not knowing enough about offense didn't hold Dungy back, and he was able to rise above mediocrity when paired with a savvy offensive coach, I don't see why Jauron wouldn't be able to do the same. Do you?

Your entire post could be addressed to a Bills fan who was loyal to Wade Phillips after Homerun Throwup. Yet we've seen Phillips go on and have success when the delegation of the offensive coordinator was taken out of his hands.

If Schonert fails, its time to consider the possibility that Jauron is another one of these guys.

You mean the same Tony Dungy that lead Tampa to the playoffs in 4 out of 7 years? This is who you are comparing Dick Jauron with? Yes, they are exactly the same head coach if you don't compare how many winning teams and playoff appearances they've both had. You act as if Jauron is the second coming of Dungy, yet Jauron is both older and has been coaching in the league longer than Tony and had only one lucky charmed winning season out of seven. In terms of head coaching, Dungy left Jauron in a cloud of dust long ago. It's over for Jauron. How in the world can you compare the two and act as if Jauron can still have the same success of Tony Dungy when nothing in his history indicates that this ever going to happen? It's unfortunate that the Bills are going to have to change the staff yet again after another disappointing season in '08 but that is what I am fully expecting. You can hope and wish for better coordinators all you want, but if the head guy can't ever get his team over the hump then it's time to own up to the big mistake of thinking Jauron is the next great coach of the Bills. He may be a good guy, but Jauron is and always will be a loser head coach.

You mean the same Tony Dungy that lead Tampa to the playoffs in 4 out of 7 years? This is who you are comparing Dick Jauron with? Yes, they are exactly the same head coach if you don't compare how many winning teams and playoff appearances they've both had. You act as if Jauron is the second coming of Dungy, yet Jauron is both older and has been coaching in the league longer than Tony and had only one lucky charmed winning season out of seven. In terms of head coaching, Dungy left Jauron in a cloud of dust long ago. It's over for Jauron. How in the world can you compare the two and act as if Jauron can still have the same success of Tony Dungy when nothing in his history indicates that that is ever going to happen? It's unfortunate that the Bills are going to have to change the staff yet again after another disappointing season in '08 but that is what I am fully expecting. You can hope and wish for better coordinators all you want, but if the head guy can't ever get his team over the hump then it's time to own up to the big mistake of thinking Jauron is the next great coach of the Bills. He may be a good guy, but Jauron is and always will be a loser head coach.

Actually, I think Dungy has been in the league longer- he had all those years in Minnesota. After Jauron's 13-3 season, they lost quite a bit of the defense that got them there- and Jauron wasn't too pleased about that. He has worked with Cade McKnown, Jim Miller, JP Losman, Trent Edwards and a few other world beaters at QB.

Fans typically call for the QB or head coach to be out when a team don't win. The fact is both of our lines are average at best, and that is a generous assessment. Better than before does not equal good.

You mean the same Tony Dungy that lead Tampa to the playoffs in 4 out of 7 years? This is who you are comparing Dick Jauron with? Yes, they are exactly the same head coach if you don't compare how many winning teams and playoff appearances they've both had. You act as if Jauron is the second coming of Dungy, yet Jauron is both older and has been coaching in the league longer than Tony and had only one lucky charmed winning season out of seven. In terms of head coaching, Dungy left Jauron in a cloud of dust long ago. It's over for Jauron. How in the world can you compare the two and act as if Jauron can still have the same success of Tony Dungy when nothing in his history indicates that that is ever going to happen? It's unfortunate that the Bills are going to have to change the staff yet again after another disappointing season in '08 but that is what I am fully expecting. You can hope and wish for better coordinators all you want, but if the head guy can't ever get his team over the hump then it's time to own up to the big mistake of thinking Jauron is the next great coach of the Bills. He may be a good guy, but Jauron is and always will be a loser head coach.

Way to rip apart the Bills head coach like that in the middle of a damn good offseason. With what he has had to work with the past two seasons in Buffalo, I think he has done quite well for himself and I expect this year the Bills will make a strong push for the playoffs and Jauron will be a big reason for it. No head coach can come in and rebuild a franchise in ruins in a matter of just a few off seasons. And I realize he doesn't have a great track record but for MY record I'm backing the guy this season all the way and I hope his legacy starts this season. I know we are all entitled to our opinions but is it necessary to call the head coach of the team you pull for a complete and total loser?

Now come on man, get behind your team, get behind your coach, have a little faith and join the rest of us in believing that this is the year things finally start to turn around. Let's ditch this negative attitude and get ready for the road to the playoffs my friend!

Go Bills!

Way to rip apart the Bills head coach like that in the middle of a damn good offseason. With what he has had to work with the past two seasons in Buffalo, I think he has done quite well for himself and I expect this year the Bills will make a strong push for the playoffs and Jauron will be a big reason for it. No head coach can come in and rebuild a franchise in ruins in a matter of just a few off seasons. And I realize he doesn't have a great track record but for MY record I'm backing the guy this season all the way and I hope his legacy starts this season. I know we are all entitled to our opinions but is it necessary to call the head coach of the team you pull for a complete and total loser?

Now come on man, get behind your team, get behind your coach, have a little faith and join the rest of us in believing that this is the year things finally start to turn around. Let's ditch this negative attitude and get ready for the road to the playoffs my friend!

Go Bills!

Yes, I'm entitled and I wish I had a different outlook on the man's abilities as a head coach. Just so you know, I will be goofy for Buffalo Bills football come the season opener, hope everything that you say is true and that Dick Jauron makes my statements look awfully foolish.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm entitled and I wish I had a different outlook on the man's abilities as a head coach. Just so you know, I will be goofy for Buffalo Bills football come the season opener, hope everything that you say is true and that Dick Jauron makes my statements look awfully foolish.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

that's what I'm talking about my friend! I hope my words don't let you down. I'll be giddy with you and I just have this feeling that this year is gonna be different......

that's what I'm talking about my friend! I hope my words don't let you down. I'll be giddy with you and I just have this feeling that this year is gonna be different......

I hope you are right, but I don't think we are good enough on either line at QB or WR. You don't improve that much in one offseason- but if we are heading in the right direction, I will be satisfied with that.

I hope you are right, but I don't think we are good enough on either line at QB or WR. You don't improve that much in one offseason- but if we are heading in the right direction, I will be satisfied with that.

we should be in the playoffs by 2015!

we should be in the playoffs by 2015!

Well, I don't think we're that far. I think we definitely need a center on the O-line, and some better DE's. I reserve judgement on the DT's until I see Stroud play. At WR, I have said before, I'd like to see a trade for Michael Jenkins who is being wasted in Atlanta- he is an upgrade in the slot, and may be able to play outside at times if we get good QB play.

We need to stick with Trent throughout his development, no matter how poorly he plays at times, if he has a down season every now and then...whatever.

We just can't keep starting over, or we will be waiting at least that long

You are making a big assumption that Jauron would accept having an OC pushed on him. He may not.

Yet, it only took three different teams to finally figure that out.

And honestly, do you think Wade had any leverage to buck that decision?

If Schonert fails, how much longer do you give Jauron to hang himself?