Draft pick signings

With training camps starting next week, only 3 1st round picks have signed with their teams. Is this a concern or will there be a big signing splurge over the next few days?

As for the Bills, they have to sign 5 draft picks in 9 days. Any reason for concern?

Of course there is. You always want all your guys in camp on time. It's paramount to your team's development and success. I wish the NFL would do like the NBA and have set contracts for each draft slot. No arguing, no debating, no negotiating. Players know what they're getting and just sign and get into training camp. That's it.

Of course there is. You always want all your guys in camp on time. It's paramount to your team's development and success. I wish the NFL would do like the NBA and have set contracts for each draft slot. No arguing, no debating, no negotiating. Players know what they're getting and just sign and get into training camp. That's it.

the NBA has a better system for the draft picks IMO. Seriously, an unproven commodity shouldn't be worth 70 million :lol:

I might understand a first rounder not signing, but Hardy, Ellis, Bowen, and Omon being unsigned this deep into the summer is slightly concerning to me. I know there are franchises that haven't signed their picks, but I'd expect the pace to pick up in the days leading up to camp. Hopefully.

I might understand a first rounder not signing, but Hardy, Ellis, Bowen, and Omon being unsigned this deep into the summer is slightly concerning to me. I know there are franchises that haven't signed their picks, but I'd expect the pace to pick up in the days leading up to camp. Hopefully.

Every year around this time someone brings up this concern & every year the guys are all signed by the first weekend. My guess is 1 or 2 guys will sign this weekend & the other guys will sign early next week. Mckelvin will be in camp by the end of the first weekend. I would be very surprised if there was a holdout.

Every year around this time someone brings up this concern & every year the guys are all signed by the first weekend. My guess is 1 or 2 guys will sign this weekend & the other guys will sign early next week. Mckelvin will be in camp by the end of the first weekend. I would be very surprised if there was a holdout.

Doc Walker made an excellent point about why NFL teams seemingly wait until the 11th hour to sign their picks. They don't want these kids riding around with pockets full of new money for too long a period before the start of their first training camp. He spoke from the perspective of his and his peers' experience when they were rookies. Made perfect sense the way he explained it.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, but we're not talking about the NBA. The NBA draft is a countdown of the best projected players, period. The NFL, on the other hand, is all position specific, so one could make the argument there is a stronger perception of NEED when a guy is picked in the NFL.

Paul Posluszny signed July 25th, 2007, for comparison's sake. Virtually no picks outside of the first round hold out at all, so until we here a strident agent in the press or camp actually opens, I'm not worried about anyone besides McKelvin.

As far as he goes, well, let's wait and see what happens when #10 and #12 sign. Until then, it's always going to be touch and go.

Paul Posluszny signed July 25th, 2007, for comparison's sake. Virtually no picks outside of the first round hold out at all, so until we here a strident agent in the press or camp actually opens, I'm not worried about anyone besides McKelvin.

As far as he goes, well, let's wait and see what happens when #10 and #12 sign. Until then, it's always going to be touch and go.

FWIW, CIN has signed or is close to signing their crop of 5th, 6th, 7th rounders.

No doubt most of the 2nd through 4th rounders will soon ink their papers.

Doc Walker made an excellent point about why NFL teams seemingly wait until the 11th hour to sign their picks. They don't want these kids riding around with pockets full of new money for too long a period before the start of their first training camp. He spoke from the perspective of his and his peers' experience when they were rookies. Made perfect sense the way he explained it.

GO BILLS!!!

Makes sense, but I'm not sure if I buy it completely. One of my good friends in college was a projected 1st-2nd round pick and he signed with an agent a few months before the draft. Based on his grading and draft projection, the agency loaned him a *substantial* amount of "start up" money (I'm not talking about a few grand to buy some clothes and a PS2). And this was before he was even drafted. Now that these guys have been drafted and slotted, their salaries are all but determined. I believe all of the guys in first few rounds (1st round at the least) have been walking around with quite a few benjamins to burn for some time now.

But perhaps the situation I described was atypical.

I think because if a new CBA is not signed, players have to wait 6 years to become an UFA. This could affect the length of contracts rookies will sign.

But aren't the length of rookie contracts already determined. I believe the 1st round(it maybe the 2nd round too can sign 5yr deals & everything after that can sign maximum 4yr deals. I could be wrong though. I have read after the uncapped year you can not become an unrestricted free agent to after 6yrs of service.