did josh hamilton really hit 28 HRs in round 1 of HR Derby???

The Poojer

Tell you what...if the Reds didn't get Volquez in that trade, this city may have imploded by now...especially tonight

Cause a guy can hit meatball pitches out of the park?

Isn't that kind of like Kyle Boller being able to throw the ball 50 yards from his knees or Coy Wire being able to jump out of a pool?

Because he's excelling in the spotlight of MLB...not just tonight, the guy is having an incredible season. Regardless, as a Reds fan, and from talking TO Reds fans, its typically harder to find a stud pitcher than it is to find a guy who can drive in runs...

Because he's excelling in the spotlight of MLB...not just tonight, the guy is having an incredible season. Regardless, as a Reds fan, and from talking TO Reds fans, its typically harder to find a stud pitcher than it is to find a guy who can drive in runs...

I'll take your word for it. I know nothing about MLB. :ph34r:

Isn't that kind of like Kyle Boller being able to throw the ball 50 yards from his knees or Coy Wire being able to jump out of a pool?

Josh Hamilton is one of the best natural talents to play baseball that I have ever seen. Reily said tonight that the sound the ball makes off Hamilton's bat is the same as Bo Jackson. Michael Young of the Rangers (an all star himself), said that he had only played with one guy whose swing was as good as Hamilton's swing...Arod. This is guy is legit, in that park down in Texas, you could really be looking at a true triple crown candidate once he gets a little more experience (remember, this guys has only played 183 big league games, just over one full season).

Saw him play at Athens High in Raleigh when I lived there. My dad and I just looked at each other in amazement when we saw his swing. Too bad he got caught up in the wrong crowd and screwed up 3-4yrs of his life and career. I hope he can just keep playing the way he is right now for a long time. And, somewhere else other than the bb vacuum of Texas.

If it so easy to hit a meatball pitch out of the park, why isn't everybody cranking 28?

Saw him play at Athens High in Raleigh when I lived there. My dad and I just looked at each other in amazement when we saw his swing. Too bad he got caught up in the wrong crowd and screwed up 3-4yrs of his life and career. I hope he can just keep playing the way he is right now for a long time. And, somewhere else other than the bb vacuum of Texas.

What's the over/under that he's subject of a ESPN/Hallmark/Lifetime "Movie of the Week" in two years?

If it so easy to hit a meatball pitch out of the park, why isn't everybody cranking 28?

Not to mention nearly all of them were 450'+ bombs. When you see his peers on the side looking on in slack-jawed amazement, then you know you are watching something special.

it was fun to watch...

For the lack of "star power" in the derby last night, this was a perfect opportunity to get this guys incredible story out to the casual fan.

It really was fun to watch. Mrs. Bullpen (no, not Tanith Belbin, the REAL Mrs. Bullpen) and I watched it last night and she's a casual fan at best and she really seemed into it and wanted to know more about Hamilton. She mentioned something that most people haven't yet, that Morneau really handled the night with a lot of class and recognized that regardless of the winner, Hamilton was the star of the show.

Side note: everything was better when Morgan played ball, that's a long standing given, but it seemed like Boomer kind of toned his schtick down a bit last night. :ph34r:

For the lack of "star power" in the derby last night, this was a perfect opportunity to get this guys incredible story out to the casual fan.

It really was fun to watch. Mrs. Bullpen (no, not Tanith Belbin, the REAL Mrs. Bullpen) and I watched it last night and she's a casual fan at best and she really seemed into it and wanted to know more about Hamilton. She mentioned something that most people haven't yet, that Morneau really handled the night with a lot of class and recognized that regardless of the winner, Hamilton was the star of the show.

Side note: everything was better when Morgan played ball, that's a long standing given, but it seemed like Boomer kind of toned his schtick down a bit last night. :ph34r:

Morneau is a real class act. He played his AAA ball here in Rochester so we got to see his act up close on the field and in the community.

Watching that kid here, then making the show after everything he's gone through is quite amazing.

BTW I cant stand JM. Anytime he opened his trap I muted him. I'd like to see Pete Rose kick his ass. <_<

and the fact that he brought his old american legion coach to pitch to him was awesome, what a treat for that 71 year old who has probably given his life to youth baseball...a great story all around....

hbo real sports had an episode about josh hamilton about a year or two ago...... if you can find it, watch it........gives you the complete picture on what a waste case this guy was, and it's amazing where he is now.