Anyone else find this amazing?

Rubes

The Bills were #1 in punt coverage last year, which is a pretty amazing accomplishment, allowing only 5.3 yards per punt return.

They did this with two gunners on the outside, both of whom were new to the team last year, one a rookie and the other an undrafted free agent who did zero his first three years in the league before being sent to NFL Europa.

I guess you could say the one good thing to come from Homerun Forward Pass is Bobby April.

The Bills were #1 in punt coverage last year, which is a pretty amazing accomplishment, allowing only 5.3 yards per punt return.

They did this with two gunners on the outside, both of whom were new to the team last year, one a rookie and the other an undrafted free agent who did zero his first three years in the league before being sent to NFL Europa.

I guess you could say the one good thing to come from Homerun Forward Pass is Bobby April.

Also a great, Pro Bowl punter who 's adept at landing punts inside the 20 and typically great hang time.

The problem I see is that the Bills released / cut half of the ST'ers

I don't see that as a problem as long as April is at the helm. He'll have that unit clicking come September. Don't forget that DiGiorgio, Ellison, and some good rookie corners & receivers will be at his disposal.

Another amazing thing is that the current punter, kicker, punt returner, and kickoff returner are all the Bills' all-time best statistically. (Source: Athlon)

And we're not even counting McKelvin in this yet.

That's the point. April took two guys, one a rookie and the other a new undrafted guy we picked up from NFL Europa, and made them the #1 unit in the league.

I don't see that as a problem as long as April is at the helm. He'll have that unit clicking come September. Don't forget that DiGiorgio, Ellison, and some good rookie corners & receivers will be at his disposal.

True. The draft had a marked emphasis on FINE special teams players...

Moorman for MVP!

I love it when we chant MVP for him when he makes a good play.

Also, Wendling is the best gunner in the NFL. He covers punts so freaking well it's ridiculous.

I agree Wendling is a very good gunner. Justin Jenkins didn't do too shabby either in the little bit of time he saw last year either.

well, I know our special teams were considered very good overall for the league in general, but I can't help being a little disappointed in them. Kick Returns especially just seemed like McGee got tackled way more times inside the 30 than normal. I guess we are just so spoiled by seeing the best ST in the league, when it tails off a little, we can notice it...

Imagine what all the other teams must be like??

I agree Wendling is a very good gunner. Justin Jenkins didn't do too shabby either in the little bit of time he saw last year either.

Yeah, I thought Jenkins was absolutely terrific on ST last year...would be a real shame if they let him go...

well, I know our special teams were considered very good overall for the league in general, but I can't help being a little disappointed in them. Kick Returns especially just seemed like McGee got tackled way more times inside the 30 than normal. I guess we are just so spoiled by seeing the best ST in the league, when it tails off a little, we can notice it...

Imagine what all the other teams must be like??

McGee ripped off several nice returns to around mid-field. But, I agree, he seemed to do better before last year when he had Fletcher or Peters or Banaan (if I remember right) as a big body on the return wedge. He really tore up the opposition when one of his blockers blew a hole in the initial wave coming at him. Last year it looked more like they had trouble getting out of his way, and he had more short returns when he couldn't get that initial 5 yards untouched.

Another amazing thing is that the current punter, kicker, punt returner, and kickoff returner are all the Bills' all-time best statistically. (Source: Athlon)

That is amazing. Especially at kicker. Lindell has done better than Norwood & Christie?

I have asked many Bills fans, who have been fans since the 60's, if they recall the Bills ever having a kick returner as good as McGee has been. Their answer has always been "no".

Wait, are you blaming that on Bruce DeHaven? :devil:

We've had great ST play since the 80's to the present except of course that hiccup with Ronnie Jones there.

Hold your horses there pard but I seem to recall a certain Steve Christie who did this franchise proud for many years. Lindell isn't there yet.

Hold your horses there pard but I seem to recall a certain Steve Christie who did this franchise proud for many years. Lindell isn't there yet.

maybe so in terms of clutch kicks and so on, but statistically lindell is tops.

good unit all around. imo with mccorner in there we will have the fresh legs to vie for #1 in both punt and kick returns.