One day, we'll look back and blame the Chiefs for starting it....

Valid point. I would think (hope?) that security is bright enough to figure out the difference between the "average" fan and someone who's being a pain in the ass, but that might not always be the case.

And if some curmudgeon is sitting in the back of the section, missing the entire game because he's furiously firing off text messages to the fan conduct hotline ...

That's the scary part. Never underestimate the power of stupidity. I expect we will hear several ridiculous stories coming out of KC next year just because some security guy decides to exercise no discretion and boot people for any standing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, looks like this is the year the casual fan ruins the NFL.

These people really need to attend a college football game sometime.

Seriously. NFL games are like church compared to a college football game with 90-100K fans packed inside.

Then stay home. I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to enforce a rule like this for the benefit of a few.

Or you could stay home and stand all game. I hate the "if you don't like it stay home" morons. Please explain to me how your enjoyment of the game is increased by standing the whole time. Are you somehow louder when you are 3 feet higher above sea level?

Simply horrible. If you want to sit watching a football game, then stay the hell home.

I really don't care that much 'bout people who prefer to stand all game long. I also realize there are people who pay their good money (some even pay their good season ticket money) that don't care for it. That being the case, I kinda "live and let live" instead of going w/ the "my way or the highway" stance, especially since I don't own the stadium (even if it had my name on it for many years).

That's just me though.

Im not a big fan of the rule, but only because I feel people should already have enough respect for their fellow fans and NOT expect that everyone wants to stand for 3 hours.

My father and I have had tickets in the same section for 20 years now, and anyone standing during play will get a chorus of "down in front"s from the entire section. Now, if it turns into a big play (deep ball or such) then yes, everyone will rise from their seats. But if your standing the whole time because you think it makes you a "better, crazier fan" then you probably should do that one more keg stand that will make you pass out in the parking lot and not ruin the game for everyone around you.

(just for some perspective, im in my 20s too)

We finally found a section that has enough common sense and maturity to know when to stand and when to sit. I cheer as loud as anyone but don't feel the need to force everyone behind me to stand all game.

Or you could stay home and stand all game. I hate the "if you don't like it stay home" morons. Please explain to me how your enjoyment of the game is increased by standing the whole time. Are you somehow louder when you are 3 feet higher above sea level?

Yes, actually. When you stand up straight, its much easier to get full breaths, yell, jump up and down on the bleachers to make noise, etc.

Welp, looks like this is the year the casual fan ruins the NFL.

These people really need to attend a college football game sometime.

Are you kidding me! I'm a casual fan because don't stand all game. I haven't missed a home game in 7 years...how bout you? I arrive at the stadium every game day at 8:00am and set up tents and flagpoles etc. I enjoy the game and cheer and yell and amazingly I have yet to ruin it for the people behind me who may not be able to or want to stand for 3 hours straight.

Yes, actually. When you stand up straight, its much easier to get full breaths, yell, jump up and down on the bleachers to make noise, etc.

Well, I guess in the next stadium design the overall cost can be reduced by not having any seats / bleachers installed. Ha!

Are you kidding me! I'm a casual fan because don't stand all game. I haven't missed a home game in 7 years...how bout you? I arrive at the stadium every game day at 8:00am and set up tents and flagpoles etc. I enjoy the game and cheer and yell and amazingly I have yet to ruin it for the people behind me who may not be able to or want to stand for 3 hours straight.

Come on down to Austin and we'll show ya how its done.

Well, I guess in the next stadium design the overall cost can be reduced by not having any seats / bleachers installed. Ha!

Go to Austin to see bluefire...or go to the big house, or come to doak here in tallahassee, and you'll see how its done. At FSU we pack 90K fans into a stadium, while absolutely beautiful, it about the size of the ralph minus the 300 levels.

When it comes to college games, sitting/standing is a good indicator of wealth. It costs a lot to sit at big time college games.

They were discussing this on Sirius this morning. Both Bob Papa and Peter King didn't think it ment "no standing at all". Personally i think the Chiefs made it vague for legal reasons. Its a judgment call by security if a Fan is standing to much and ruining the experience for others. You make it vague to cover your bases.

there are so many different scenario's in the game to stand in. If the Chiefs tried to list them out they wouldn't be able to cover them all. A fan would then find a loophole, expliot it and then Sue the Chiefs if he/she got kicked out.

People need to seriously wait and let it play out before commenting. It's easy to misinterpret words on a page.

They were discussing this on Sirius this morning. Both Bob Papa and Peter King didn't think it ment "no standing at all". Personally i think the Chiefs made it vague for legal reasons. Its a judgment call by security if a Fan is standing to much and ruining the experience for others. You make it vague to cover your bases.

exactly how i see it being played out. if they at least set the rule and make it public, they can choose when to enforce it and use against a rowdy fan who needs to be addressed.

same with if something happens to a drunk fan, or a guy stands up and gets into a fight. its more of a CYA by the Chiefs, than it is a "sit down, shut up and watch" rule

They were discussing this on Sirius this morning. Both Bob Papa and Peter King didn't think it meant "no standing at all".

It doesn't. From the policy that was linked in the very first post:

CHIEFS FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

The Kansas City Chiefs are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for our fans. When attending a game, the stadium staff will proactively intervene to support an environment where event patrons, their guests and other fans can enjoy the event, free from the following behaviors:

• Foul, obscene, offensive or abusive language or actions

Excessive standing and/or obstructing the view of other fans

• Intoxication or other signs of impairment

• Smoking except in designated areas

• Fighting and unruly or inconsiderate behavior

• Obscene or indecent clothing or signs

• Conduct that endangers spectators or participants

• Harassment of visiting team fans

• Interfering with the progress of the game, going onto the field or

throwing any object onto the field

• Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel

• Selling items or tickets in the stadium or on sports complex grounds

• Attempting to sit in a location other than the guest’s ticketed seat

• Destroying property

Seems reasonable to me. Standing is allowed. Excessive standing is not. It gives them another reason to cite when tossing some obnoxious idiot. Look, I usually lose my voice at the game and stand at the big moments. But do you really to have to stand ALL game because the knucklehead in front of you wants to shout taunts at a player 200 ft away? What if the knucklehead is wearing a Jets or Ravens jersey? Seems like someone intentionally misread the policy to make a radio audience dumber.

See ya in the Ralph

Should they turn down the volume at rock concerts for people that might be a bit sensitive to sound? People stand at football games when they're excited. If you can't stand stay the hell home.

BTW I don't stand the whole game, I probably stand less than most. However, I'd never think to complain because someone was. It's just part of going to the stadium.

Should they turn down the volume at rock concerts for people that might be a bit sensitive to sound? People stand at football games when they're excited. If you can't stand stay the hell home.

BTW I don't stand the whole game, I probably stand less than most. However, I'd never think to complain because someone was. It's just part of going to the stadium.

I'm sure the idiot who pukes all over the kid in front of him uses the same "if you don't like it stay home" reasoning. If you buy a SEAT at a football game, you should reasonably expect to be able to watch the game with out somebody blocking your view all game because he fells like standing the whole time. I would bet you are the guy with his back to the game waving his arms up and down and yelling for everyone to stand up.

unenforceable. also its pretty rare for there to be long periods of standing - and when it seems called for no one will listen to a PA announcer

edit - as Dr. Chicago points out it doesn't seem to cover normal stadium behavior, just a way to get out fans that are drunk a**holes.