American's number one in the world

Pete

why not? Instead of putting users in jail (1 in 3 people behind bars is a drug crime), instead of wasting billions fighting a drug war we cannot win, instead of allowing gangs and punks to get rich from selling drugs on street corners- how about you legalize everything and tax it? The revenue would be on par with alcohol sales, probably higher

I've always found it confusing that the government realized prohibition didn't work because people drank anyway, but bootlegging made the mafia more powerful, so basically it created a new problem without solving the original one. However, with drugs its the exact same thing, tougher laws haven't slowed down use and they've made street gangs more powerful, but this time the government hasn't realized that outlawing them hasn't worked. Can someone explain this to me.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's already the case. If I'm stoned and run you off the road and kill you, I will be prosecuted.

I said instead of simply everyone who has it. If you're not stoned and run someone off the road, and you have a gram of weed on you, you'll be prosecuted for both.

A question: Say drugs are legal? What happens? Plenty of folks have no qualms about driving with booze in them.

It is trivially easy to obtain marijuana. Anyone who has a desire to do so is already smoking it.

The War on Drugs has done NOTHING to discourage the use of the drug. Nothing. Its a waste of time and money, only serving to make government larger.

Granted, MJ is not the same. But does MJ cloud judgment? Certainly does. Would a medical person having a few saulatory tokes over lunch - it's legal now, remember - give the same scrutiny to your MRI as without? The argument about alcohol doing the same - alcohol use is obvious. One reeks of it by the time in clouds the mind. Take some tokes, walk back to work.

You think its hard to spot people who are stoned? :thumbdown:

I said instead of simply everyone who has it. If you're not stoned and run someone off the road, and you have a gram of weed on you, you'll be prosecuted for both.

It is trivially easy to obtain marijuana. Anyone who has a desire to do so is already smoking it.

The War on Drugs has done NOTHING to discourage the use of the drug. Nothing. Its a waste of time and money, only serving to make government larger.

You think its hard to spot people who are stoned? :thumbdown:

OK. End the "War". Make it all legal.

What do you think will happen?

Should we dissolve the nation and let our overseas betters manage us? :thumbdown:

No, it's much better to stand in defiant ignorance, asserting "we're the best" and have nothing to learn from anyone else.

Some of the things this country believes are important, and others it doesn't, boggle my mind. Maybe if we pray harder to make-believe people in the sky everything will get better.

No, it's much better to stand in defiant ignorance, asserting "we're the best" and have nothing to learn from anyone else.

Some of the things this country believes are important, and others it doesn't, boggle my mind. Maybe if we pray harder to make-believe people in the sky everything will get better.

What issues, what things do we need to be taught about, and by who? :thumbdown:

What issues, what things do we need to be taught about, and by who? :thumbdown:

The moment you stop believing you have something to learn, is the moment you begin fading away. If you really believe the U.S. knows it all and does everything better than everyone else, you are the true definition of a "homer."

The moment you stop believing you have something to learn, is the moment you begin fading away. If you really believe the U.S. knows it all and does everything better than everyone else, you are the true definition of a "homer."

You didn't answer my question.

And you also put words into my mouth in oblique fashion, and proceeded to draw a conclusion on same.

Not good.

You've built a straw man argument: ending the war on drugs doesn't necessitate making drugs legal.

Ending the "War on Drugs" could be as simple as decriminalizing the possession and private use of small amounts of drugs. Such an act alone would save the US billions.

You've built a straw man argument: ending the war on drugs doesn't necessitate making drugs legal.

Ending the "War on Drugs" could be as simple as decriminalizing the possession and private use of small amounts of drugs. Such an act alone would save the US billions.

And where does the individual get those small amounts for private use?

Well, you realize that marijuana was legal in this country from its inception through the end of the 1930s right? And the people who supported Prohibition of alcohol and lost, then turned their efforts to marijuana. Thats the only reason it became illegal here in the first place.

Does it matter?

I would think there would be legal issues with someone purchasing something from someone who is holding something illegally. Now my question is are you talking legalizing all drugs or just marijuana?

I would think there would be legal issues with someone purchasing something from someone who is holding something illegally.

Here is where we both show that IANAL. However, I think it'd be possible to make the purchase of it legal, but the distribution point illegal (supplying it is illegal, using it and buying small quantities is not).

Now my question is are you talking legalizing all drugs or just marijuana?

Just Marijuana alone would save the country billions, and would be a good step to take. I also wouldn't oppose the legalization of shrooms or ecstasy either.

Just Marijuana alone would save the country billions, and would be a good step to take. I also wouldn't oppose the legalization of shrooms or ecstasy either.

I'm with ya there. I'm ok with pot but the other "harder" drugs need to be kept illegal (cocaine, meth, crack, heroin etc.) Those are all highly addictive and very destructive drugs. There is a probably a large number of people that do not do those drugs only because they're illegal. As tax payers it is our job to take care of people who cannot take care of themselves. I do not want to pay to take care of people who cannot take care of themselves because of their own doing. That is the only thing I have against legalization of "hard" drugs.

Regarding legalizing ecstasy I can't say. It's probably the only drug I have not tried due to it's becoming fashionable long after I stopped taking drugs. I've got some free time over the long weekend to conduct some "research" however and I'll get back to you. :pirate:

I'm next to you on the Interstate, stoned out of my mind.

Before I weave into you, slam into you causing you to flip and roll and die, it's important that you realize that after all...it's a victimless crime. :pirate:

You're much more likely to kill someone after a 6 pack than a dimebag

Does anyone believe the Republicans would EVER allow certain drugs to be legal? Republicans are FAR more antagonistic toward decriminalization. It's a bread-and-butter "crime" issue that will never change unless a very prominent Republican has a "Nixon goes to China" moment. Sure you can call Democrats pussies for not standing up for what they believe but its not like decriminalization would ever pass without Republican support.

Does anyone believe the Republicans would EVER allow certain drugs to be legal? Republicans are FAR more antagonistic toward decriminalization. It's a bread-and-butter "crime" issue that will never change unless a very prominent Republican has a "Nixon goes to China" moment. Sure you can call Democrats pussies for not standing up for what they believe but its not like decriminalization would ever pass without Republican support.

I still dont understand why legalizing drugs is thought of as liberal. A true conservative could be tough on crime (crime meaning people hurting other people), but would think that the government shouldnt have conrol over what people do to their own bodies. Is there anything that says big government more than the government telling you what you do and dont have permission to put into your own body.