With Butler getting an extension...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills will have to pay Peters sooner or later. And with salaries skyrocketing annually, giving him a new deal now versus waiting a year might not produce a substantial increase in the total money he gets. And the longer they wait to give it to him, the less happy he'll be.

While I agree with what you're saying... (Peter's should be extended/reworked ASAP)...

There's one problem, he is already showing he's sort of a headca$e with contracts... what's to stop him from being pissy next year when once again all the other LTs are getting raises...

It's a tough go... Based on his performance he deserves a raise - and when you factor in how other players around him are getting raises it only proves his case more... but, they can't continually cave in to contract demands, it's not smart from a business standpoint.

While I agree with what you're saying... (Peter's should be extended/reworked ASAP)...

There's one problem, he is already showing he's sort of a headca$e with contracts... what's to stop him from being pissy next year when once again all the other LTs are getting raises...

It's a tough go... Based on his performance he deserves a raise - and when you factor in how other players around him are getting raises it only proves his case more... but, they can't continually cave in to contract demands, it's not smart from a business standpoint.

Bills could play hardball if they had a bona fide they could play at LT with a straight face -

unfortunately that ship has sailed -- loaded with CBs

The problem is that the Bills set the precedent last year by giving Schobel, a good player but not at Peters' level, a huge new contract despite him having 3 years left on his previous deal, because Kelsay got a fat new contract, all without asking (that we know of). Peters signed his $$3M/year contract when he was playing RT, was moved to LT and became a Pro Bowler, while the guy he replaced at LT (Mike Gandy) signed a $5M/year deal on the market.

And he's going to get a new contract at the latest by next year. But with the way salaries have been skyrocketing, if the Bills give him a new deal now, it probably won't cost them too much more in the long run, seeing as it will cost probably $10M more overall to sign him next year, if he has the year everyone thinks he will.

The problem is that the Bills set the precedent last year by giving Schobel, a good player but not at Peters' level, a huge new contract despite him having 3 years left on his previous deal, because Kelsay got a fat new contract, all without asking (that we know of).

I'm sure the F.O. didnt just give Schobel that deal out of the goodness of their hearts, I assume his agent was making alot of noise behind the scenes.

I'm sure the F.O. didnt just give Schobel that deal out of the goodness of their hearts, I assume his agent was making alot of noise behind the scenes.

You think Peters' agent wasn't doing the same soon after least season ended?

The Kelsay signing forced the new contract for Schobel.

You can't expect a pro bowl LT to line up beside a good OG and make half the money. Remember, Dockery got a huge bonus. In theory, this is your "job security" as an NFL player, because you can get hurt tomorrow, and/or get cut at any time.

Dockery knows how good Peters is. He was on Sirius raving about how strong he is . Kirk Chambers said that Peters is probably the best OL in the NFL, and he is on our team!!! People need to take a step back and realize how lucky we are to have him. The guy was a freaking UFA, which is another reason he wants a big pay day. LTs are top 5 picks year after year, and based on this alone they walk into the league with 15 - 30 million in their pocket. Many of them will never be as good as Peters already is.

Cap space is plentiful. Ralph made money from Toronto. Ticket sales are sky high. You take the Dockery deal, add 2 or 3 million to the signing bonus, and 5 million to the total package and give it to the man. Period.

Cap space is plentiful. Ralph made money from Toronto. Ticket sales are sky high. You take the Dockery deal, add 2 or 3 million to the signing bonus, and 5 million to the total package and give it to the man. Period.

I agree, but also add severe penalties for holding out in the future... then add the period.

I disagree with this. The market dictated schobel's value, regardless of what Kelsay was being paid. There were a number of big time DEs signing huge deals/extensions in the 50-70 million range, guys like kearney, freeney, and guys like allen, charles grant and will smith this year. Schobel was coming off of a 14 sack season, 3rd best in the league, and has averaged 10 sacks a year for his career. he deserved the contract he got. Even if we hadn't signed kelsay, Schobel still would have been in line for a major upgrade/extension. 10 sack a year guys simply make a ton of $.

The same thing with peters. The going rate for a pro-bowl LT is in the 8-10 million per season range right now. Even if dockery was making 2 million a season, Peters would still be inclined to ask for a huge extension, because thats the market value for his position/caliber.

this isnt directed at you, just the board in general, but i cannot for the life of me understand how everyone complains that we let all of our good players go, yet when we sign them to extensions that keep them here, everyone whines that we overpaid for the player.

It seems like the Bills are willing to pay their players more... I hope this extends to Evans and Peters...

I'm a bit disappointed in Peters decision to hold out - seeing as he was just extended (and presumably given a raise) last year... But, he didn't have a Pro Bowl then and deserves a raise, holding out just doesn't impress me... And it could have an effect on his conditioning and ability... many times before holdouts are injured early in a season when they don't show up for training camp. We NEED Peters if we are going to be the team everyone hopes we can be this season.

Didn't someone say that the Peters situation could be resolved in 3 weeks.

I disagree with this. The market dictated schobel's value, regardless of what Kelsay was being paid. There were a number of big time DEs signing huge deals/extensions in the 50-70 million range, guys like kearney, freeney, and guys like allen, charles grant and will smith this year. Schobel was coming off of a 14 sack season, 3rd best in the league, and has averaged 10 sacks a year for his career. he deserved the contract he got. Even if we hadn't signed kelsay, Schobel still would have been in line for a major upgrade/extension. 10 sack a year guys simply make a ton of $.

The same thing with peters. The going rate for a pro-bowl LT is in the 8-10 million per season range right now. Even if dockery was making 2 million a season, Peters would still be inclined to ask for a huge extension, because thats the market value for his position/caliber.

this isnt directed at you, just the board in general, but i cannot for the life of me understand how everyone complains that we let all of our good players go, yet when we sign them to extensions that keep them here, everyone whines that we overpaid for the player.

Good points. It's not like it's our money. To stay competitive in the NFL currently, a team has to pay the going rate to keep good palyers.

Edit: Why hasn't Marshawn leapfrogged Whitner in being run out of town in your sig?

You can't expect a pro bowl LT to line up beside a good OG and make half the money. Remember, Dockery got a huge bonus. In theory, this is your "job security" as an NFL player, because you can get hurt tomorrow, and/or get cut at any time.

Dockery knows how good Peters is. He was on Sirius raving about how strong he is . Kirk Chambers said that Peters is probably the best OL in the NFL, and he is on our team!!! People need to take a step back and realize how lucky we are to have him. The guy was a freaking UFA, which is another reason he wants a big pay day. LTs are top 5 picks year after year, and based on this alone they walk into the league with 15 - 30 million in their pocket. Many of them will never be as good as Peters already is.

Man....this was a very good arguement on why we should just extend Peters and give him his money.....I cant dissagree with any of this.

The problem is in your definition of "good"players.

Schobel may have some stat numbers, but he seems to disappear in many games.

He spends more time running upfield 8 yards out of teh play than making himself a consistent force.

Spending money on what seems to be inconsistent production is the key.

The problem is in your definition of "good"players.

Schobel may have some stat numbers, but he seems to disappear in many games.

He spends more time running upfield 8 yards out of teh play than making himself a consistent force.

Spending money on what seems to be inconsistent production is the key.

obie, DEs who can rush the passer and have speed are at a premium. Not a lot of humans can go up against Jonathan Ogden and do this. Schobel can, and has.

This doesn't mean that Schobel is Bruce Smith/Richard Dent. He isn't. That said, he played much of his career next to not so good DTs, and this is far from being his fault. The Bills let Pat Williams, and even Ron Edwards walk, and focused on defensive backs. This is what the Bills do and this is why we lose.

If Stroud and Poz play as well as we think they can, Aaron Schobel (and Kelsay and Denny for that matter) will be the least of our worries. I am sure of this.

obie, DEs who can rush the passer and have speed are at a premium. Not a lot of humans can go up against Jonathan Ogden and do this. Schobel can, and has.

This doesn't mean that Schobel is Bruce Smith/Richard Dent. He isn't. That said, he played much of his career next to not so good DTs, and this is far from being his fault. The Bills let Pat Williams, and even Ron Edwards walk, and focused on defensive backs. This is what the Bills do and this is why we lose.

If Stroud and Poz play as well as we think they can, Aaron Schobel (and Kelsay and Denny for that matter) will be the least of our worries. I am sure of this.

Good Post.