With Butler getting an extension...

It seems like the Bills are willing to pay their players more... I hope this extends to Evans and Peters...

I'm a bit disappointed in Peters decision to hold out - seeing as he was just extended (and presumably given a raise) last year... But, he didn't have a Pro Bowl then and deserves a raise, holding out just doesn't impress me... And it could have an effect on his conditioning and ability... many times before holdouts are injured early in a season when they don't show up for training camp. We NEED Peters if we are going to be the team everyone hopes we can be this season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see something getting done with Lee relatively soon. I think Peters will have to wait one more year whether he likes it or not.

I concur, seems to be a likely scenario to me

3 different scenarios. Butler was a minimum wage young player who proved his worth as a starter & had his pay aligned as such, much like Peters' situation a few yrs ago. Peters already had his original cnt renegotiated; his situation (like other premiere players) is that the mkt price keeps going up each yr. Evans was a 1st round draft choice (& had a cnt to match) w/ that original cnt set to expire & when/if it does, he will be paid on an elite level.

3 different scenarios. Butler was a minimum wage young player who proved his worth as a starter & had his pay aligned as such, much like Peters' situation a few yrs ago. Peters already had his original cnt renegotiated; his situation (like other premiere players) is that the mkt price keeps going up each yr. Evans was a 1st round draft choice (& had a cnt to match) w/ that original cnt set to expire & when/if it does, he will be paid on an elite level.

Just curious as to why you think Evans will get an "elite" contract?

I disagree. Now that they've given Butler almost $3M a year, they HAVE to redo Peters' deal. Butler was a 5th round pick, which isn't too far off from an UDFA. And Butler had a couple years left being owned by the Bills seeing as how he'll be a 3rd year player, meaning EFA after the season, then RFA the following year. Not redoing Peters' deal would be unconscionable and would smack of racism, i.e. they'll do it for the white players.

I disagree. Now that they've given Butler almost $3M a year, they HAVE to redo Peters' deal. Butler was a 5th round pick, which isn't too far off from an UDFA. And Butler had a couple years left being owned by the Bills seeing as how he'll be a 3rd year player, meaning EFA after the season, then RFA the following year. Not redoing Peters' deal would be unconscionable and would smack of racism, i.e. they'll do it for the white players.

Nice. You fling accusation against a business organization - the NFL - whose well-paid employees are what - 75% black? :D

Evans will get an elite contract not because he is an elite player but because somebody will pay him "elite" money just because he will be the best WR available. Did anyone in their right mind think Berneard Berrian was a 7mil a year WR? I sure as hell didnt. In the NFL today you dont make what you are worth compared to similar players at your position you get paid based on what other options are out their for teams that year. If Evans hits the FA market regardless of the fact that he has never been to a pro bowl he will most likley be the best WR on the FA market. When a team is desperate for a WR they will overpay to make sure they get the guy...... then the following year another WR will start the negotiations at that number. There is a reason that Larry Fitz makes so much more than Anquan Boldin and its just because his contract was gonna end first not because hes SOOOO much better of a player.

If the Bills are smart they will realize two things

1. Pay Evans because anyone you would try and sign to replace him you will have to overpay anyways so you may as well keep the guy that you already know is talented.

2. Pay Peters whatever he wants plus a free fruit basket to make sure hes happy because he is THE single most important player on this team, and because you are going to set this franchiseback ten years if you lose him.

Evans will get an elite contract not because he is an elite player but because somebody will pay him "elite" money just because he will be the best WR available. Did anyone in their right mind think Berneard Berrian was a 7mil a year WR? I sure as hell didnt. In the NFL today you dont make what you are worth compared to similar players at your position you get paid based on what other options are out their for teams that year. If Evans hits the FA market regardless of the fact that he has never been to a pro bowl he will most likley be the best WR on the FA market. When a team is desperate for a WR they will overpay to make sure they get the guy...... then the following year another WR will start the negotiations at that number. There is a reason that Larry Fitz makes so much more than Anquan Boldin and its just because his contract was gonna end first not because hes SOOOO much better of a player.

1. Pay Evans because anyone you would try and sign to replace him you will have to overpay anyways so you may as well keep the guy that you already know is talented.

2. Pay Peters whatever he wants plus a free fruit basket to make sure hes happy because he is THE single most important player on this team, and because you are going to set this franchiseback ten years if you lose him.

Good post.

I agree. Good post.

Welcome aboard!

Nice. You fling accusation against a business organization - the NFL - whose well-paid employees are what - 75% black? :rolleyes:

That's how it appears. The first excuse was that he had 3 years left on his deal. Well so did Schobel. Then it was "he was an UDFA who should be thankful to the Bills..." And then they give Butler almost as much money, despite him not being near the level of Peters.

The Bills will have to pay Peters sooner or later. And with salaries skyrocketing annually, giving him a new deal now versus waiting a year might not produce a substantial increase in the total money he gets. And the longer they wait to give it to him, the less happy he'll be.

You have lost ALL credibility with that statement! No wonder you don't think Lynch was drinking!

You have lost ALL credibility with that statement! No wonder you don't think Lynch was drinking!

LOL! For the guy talking about the court of public opinion, you sure are hypocritical. Again the Bills have no problem giving early extensions to Schobel and Butler, but with Evans and Peters it's taking time and both players are sitting out as a result.

Pay the men!

LOL! For the guy talking about the court of public opinion, you sure are hypocritical. Again the Bills have no problem giving early extensions to Schobel and Butler, but with Evans and Peters it's taking time and both players are sitting out as a result.

Pay the men!

FYI, Schobel's mother was African American-there goes your theory!