Anyone into Geocaching?

Fezmid

I was just wondering if anyone here is into geocaching.

For those who aren't aware, it's basically a treasure hunt. People hide things in containers, then post the coordinates on a website ( http://www.geocaching.com seems to be one of the more popular sites). You take your handheld GPS, enter the coordinates, and then go hunting for the package. I think you mark in the logbook that you've been there, and you get to take something from the cache and leave something of your own. You can then go to the website to mark that you've found it.

It sounds kinda cool -- something fun to do during the summer. I'm getting a handheld GPS in a few weeks so will probably try it out. Just wondering if anyone else has done it.

That sounds interesting. Bookcrossing.com is something similar. When you are done with a book you stash it somewhere (behind a box of a Wheaties at Wegmans, in a cave in the woods, at a coffeshop under a couch, etc- you get the idea) and leave a message where it is and a card inside saying it is a book crossing book. I haven't done this yet, but met someone the other night who is really into it. Sounds fun!

i did it in college once for some stupid general science class to teach us about triangulation. I will admit to having lots of fun though.

I noticed you were born in 1978... :P Myself ten years earlier... I broke in with the USACE in hydrographic survey... Right on the GPS cusp...

You know what we used to take soundings?... Hand tape out a baseline first (the whole survey ball of wax... etc... etc... ), used a row boat and tagline with a lead line to take the sounding (depth reading)... Further out into the harbors, we would use mutiple taglines which would drop to the bottom when a vessel crossed...

That was our idea of "triangulation"... Later, I was exposed to a one point tracking type sytem...

Now... They just jump in the boat and sweep! :wallbash::wallbash:

I was just wondering if anyone here is into geocaching.

For those who aren't aware, it's basically a treasure hunt. People hide things in containers, then post the coordinates on a website ( http://www.geocaching.com seems to be one of the more popular sites). You take your handheld GPS, enter the coordinates, and then go hunting for the package. I think you mark in the logbook that you've been there, and you get to take something from the cache and leave something of your own. You can then go to the website to mark that you've found it.

It sounds kinda cool -- something fun to do during the summer. I'm getting a handheld GPS in a few weeks so will probably try it out. Just wondering if anyone else has done it.

My bro and his family do this all the time. They love it. I have never tried but it sounds fun!

Not trying to thread crap, but whats the fun/challenge in it? If you have the coordinates, isn't it like putting an address in my cars GPS and driving to the location?

The coordinates get you to the general location - but not to the exact place of the cache. It's like you putting the address into your cars' GPS, driving to the location, but it's a block or two off from where the GPS says the address is so you have to hunt for it from there -- only there's no street addresses telling you where to go :wallbash:

I finally saw this thread. I was out geocaching this afternoon. :wallbash: Yes I'm into it big time. I have the same screen name at the Geocaching.com web site. I have found almost 3700 in a little less than five years. The geocaches can can be anything from pencil eraser sized to ammo can, or even a few 5 gallon buckets in the woods. They are hidden out of sight or camo'ed. I've seen fake bolts, fake dog poop, fake rocks, hollowed out logs and many other types of hides.

GPS receivers are accurate to about 30 feet. If you are near a wall or under a tree it can be off more. Part of the fun is figuring out where someone would hide stuff. You also have to be stealthy while looking so that non-geocachers or "muggles" (borrowed from the Harry Potter books) don't see where they are (they can take them).

Unless you live in the sticks, you probably pass a dozen or so to and from work every day. I have to work all around the SF Bay area, and many times (like Friday) I stay in the area to avoid the traffic and geocache until dark. People of all ages can do it. A lot take the whole family out.

This Memorial Day weekend, I went to the biggest get together in the world for the hobby. They call it GeoWoodstock. It was held this year north of Sacramento and we added 3,000 people for the day to a town that has 2,200 people!

Fezmid, look at the search that Beerball lnked to and PM me for more info.

I finally saw this thread. I was out geocaching this afternoon. :wallbash: Yes I'm into it big time. I have the same screen name at the Geocaching.com web site. I have found almost 3700 in a little less than five years. The geocaches can can be anything from pencil eraser sized to ammo can, or even a few 5 gallon buckets in the woods. They are hidden out of sight or camo'ed. I've seen fake bolts, fake dog poop, fake rocks, hollowed out logs and many other types of hides.

GPS receivers are accurate to about 30 feet. If you are near a wall or under a tree it can be off more. Part of the fun is figuring out where someone would hide stuff. You also have to be stealthy while looking so that non-geocachers or "muggles" (borrowed from the Harry Potter books) don't see where they are (they can take them).

Unless you live in the sticks, you probably pass a dozen or so to and from work every day. I have to work all around the SF Bay area, and many times (like Friday) I stay in the area to avoid the traffic and geocache until dark. People of all ages can do it. A lot take the whole family out.

This Memorial Day weekend, I went to the biggest get together in the world for the hobby. They call it GeoWoodstock. It was held this year north of Sacramento and we added 3,000 people for the day to a town that has 2,200 people!

Fezmid, look at the search that Beerball lnked to and PM me for more info.

Hmm...if I understand correctly, "geocachers" plant stuff on their own property, and others seek it. I have to say, if for example a neighbor of mine say 8 houses away happened to be a participant and I noticed folks poking around his property, I'd do the "neighborhood watch" thing and call the police and report that prowlers were casing his house.

Hmm...if I understand correctly, "geocachers" plant stuff on their own property, and others seek it. I have to say, if for example a neighbor of mine say 8 houses away happened to be a participant and I noticed folks poking around his property, I'd do the "neighborhood watch" thing and call the police and report that prowlers were casing his house.

Naw, not their own property - could be anywhere, in parks, in the woods, etc.

So, on public property exclusively?

Not necessarily - but the large majority of the coordinates I saw when I was looking at it was for areas not in a neighborhood.

For example, here are the geocaching.com rules:

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

* Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

* Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites).

* Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

* Caches near or on military installations.

* Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain this in a note to the reviewer. If you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache page for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache.

In addition, there may be local regulations already in place for certain types of parks in your region (state parks, county preserves, etc.). There are many local caching organizations that would be able to help you out with those regulations. If your area does not have a local caching organization please contact your local reviewer for information on regulations. If you have complied with special regulations by obtaining a permit, please state this on your cache page or in a ‘note to the reviewer’. A reviewer may request that you provide contact information for the person who gave you permission to hide your cache.

If the Geocaching.com web site is contacted and informed that your cache has been placed inappropriately, your cache may be archived or disabled and you may be contacted with any information provided by the individual or organization who contacted us.

There are a very few on a geocacher's front yard. The people who do that explicitly say so and they tell the neighbors.

There are some in parking lots. If you see someone picking up the light skirt (thing at the base of a light pole), they are probably geocaching. Those are called Lame LPC s(Lamp Post Caches).

The geocaches are never buried. We don't want people destroying areas by digging. Also stressed is cleaning up garbage. I went to a park in Oakland last fall and we were removing non native plants from a creekside. The local group adopted a stretch of creek to clean up and June 29 I will be going there to help clean up part of it.

It gets me out of the house. and to see things I would never see otherwise. I got to see the coast from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz by geocaching. I rode with friends and we geocahed along the Pacific Coast Hghway. I know know where every park is within about 10 miles of my house. I's better than sitting at home in front of te TV during non-football Sundays. (At least one thing has a higher priority!)

My father put a cache in the State Park across the street from his house. If I remember correctly, he had to inform the ranger that it was in the park, and he has to change the location about every six months.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found my first cache today! Woohoo! :(

It was a pretty simple one, and I had a good idea where it was before I even got to the area. But I wanted to make sure I tried something simple to start with, just to get the hang of it.

Pretty cool though - and it's pretty cool to find a "hidden treasure" like that. It's also pretty cool thinking about all the other people who have done the same thing you're doing when you look for it and sign the logbook.

Overall, big thumbs up and highly recommended to everyone! :D<_<

i did that for a couple of years here... will probably do that again once my son is big enough to come with me. It's a nice way to discover nice spots you may not know. I'm surprised about the use of GPS you mention... the best part is to find it doing real researchs (on the internet, in books) , some having codes, historic enigmas... the internet site i used (cistes.net) have thousands of those "cache" registrated and i've tried for months to resolve some that are located very near my house...

Well, I found my first cache today! Woohoo! :(

It was a pretty simple one, and I had a good idea where it was before I even got to the area. But I wanted to make sure I tried something simple to start with, just to get the hang of it.

Pretty cool though - and it's pretty cool to find a "hidden treasure" like that. It's also pretty cool thinking about all the other people who have done the same thing you're doing when you look for it and sign the logbook.

Overall, big thumbs up and highly recommended to everyone! :D<_<

Well, whaja find?

:blink:

I looked up the web page of the geocache Fezmid found and a few names below him on the online log, I spot the name of a geocacher I know from here in the SF Bay area!

Well, whaja find?

:D

There was a little roll of stickers in there, but since I didn't bring anything to replace it with, I just left it there. In hindsight, I probably should've taken it as a keepsake for my first find -- but oh well. <_<

i did that for a couple of years here... will probably do that again once my son is big enough to come with me. It's a nice way to discover nice spots you may not know. I'm surprised about the use of GPS you mention... the best part is to find it doing real researchs (on the internet, in books) , some having codes, historic enigmas... the internet site i used (cistes.net) have thousands of those "cache" registrated and i've tried for months to resolve some that are located very near my house...

I looked at the site, and there's none in Wisconsin or Minnesota... In fact, most of the US is empty, except for Tennessee which has 353 for some reason! The next highest is Texas with 19... Why the disaparity?

When I worked in survey... That is how we would find old benchmarks, etc... The 'ole notebook and measuring tape... Usually, they were tied to permanent things like foundations of buildings... Yet, some notes were so old that it would take us a half a day to find some points... Very old points.

I suppose that is all differenet with GPS now!

I looked at the site, and there's none in Wisconsin or Minnesota... In fact, most of the US is empty, except for Tennessee which has 353 for some reason! The next highest is Texas with 19... Why the disaparity?

the site i used is based in France so there's few things overseas and in the US... there's probably lot of US based sites ...

the site i used is based in France so there's few things overseas and in the US... there's probably lot of US based sites ...

That still doesn't explain why Tennessee had so many listed; do people in France always visit TN when they come to the States??? :rolleyes: