US Open

Wacka

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, back to golf terminology; you can not MISS an ace. It either drops in the hole or it doesn't. It can be classified as missing the cup or just nearly missing the hole. I have been playing golf for twenty five years and I have never heard anyone say that they just missed an ace.

From the Associated Press, the world's leading news organization:

"Mediate flipped his club to the front of the tee box when he came within inches of an ace on the par-3 third."

What a pack of idiots! Can you believe somebody would write something that stupid! :rolleyes:

From the Associated Press, the world's leading news organization:

"Mediate flipped his club to the front of the tee box when he came within inches of an ace on the par-3 third."

What a pack of idiots! Can you believe somebody would write something that stupid! :rolleyes:

Yep, within inches of an ace. Not he just missed an ace. An ace is positive. It sounds like you botched something saying missed an ace.

An ace is a rarity for non pro's. You don't often come close to an ace. I am done explaining golf.

Get out there and earn an ace. I have one and I will be as candid as possible; I hit an abysmal shot, caught it really thin, but it was tracking towards the pin. It bounced once and I had no idea where the ball was; I couldn't see the bottom of the flag/cup from the tee. When we got up to the hole I didn't see the ball on the back of the green. My friend walked up to the hole and told me there was a ball in the cup; I was like oh jeeez not with that f#c&ing shot. What can you do, it was total luck. I was fortunate to make 2 eagles on two par fours that make me forget that tragic hole in one. Basically two shots (two different rounds) that were around 140-160 yds. fell into the cup. I felt worthy after watching those shots find there was to the bottom of the cup!!

Yep, within inches of an ace. Not he just missed an ace. An ace is positive. It sounds like you botched something saying missed an ace.

No. You can say he came within inches of the cup, or the pin, or the jar or the flag.

But an ace is a score and you can't say he came within inches of a score.

That's just stupid.

An ace is a rarity for non pro's. You don't often come close to an ace.

In my last two rounds I've had 4 tap-ins for a 2. I'd say that qualifies for "often" coming close to scoring an ace.

Notice I said coming close to "scoring an ace", not coming close to an ace, because it's just a score. You can come close to a cup or a flag or a pin, but not an ace.

No. You can say he came within inches of the cup, or the pin, or the jar or the flag.

But an ace is a score and you can't say he came within inches of a score.

That's just stupid.

In my last two rounds I've had 4 tap-ins for a 2. I'd say that qualifies for "often" coming close to scoring an ace.

Notice I said coming close to "scoring an ace", not coming close to an ace, because it's just a score. You can come close to a cup or a flag or a pin, but not an ace.

Umm, it seems as though you're being awfully nitpicky here, and technically incorrect as well. Although one definition of the word "ace" is the number one, an equally acceptable definition of the term in the golf context is the act of making a hole-in-one, and not simply a "score."

"Ace" is used in precisely the same way we use the terms par, birdie, eagle, and bogey -- it's just that when we say ace, we know the score must be a one.

There's nothing stupid about saying "missed an ace by inches."

An ace is a rarity for non pro's. You don't often come close to an ace. I am done explaining golf.

Get out there and earn an ace. I have one and I will be as candid as possible; I hit an abysmal shot, caught it really thin, but it was tracking towards the pin. It bounced once and I had no idea where the ball was; I couldn't see the bottom of the flag/cup from the tee. When we got up to the hole I didn't see the ball on the back of the green. My friend walked up to the hole and told me there was a ball in the cup; I was like oh jeeez not with that f#c&ing shot. What can you do, it was total luck. I was fortunate to make 2 eagles on two par fours that make me forget that tragic hole in one. Basically two shots (two different rounds) that were around 140-160 yds. fell into the cup. I felt worthy after watching those shots find there was to the bottom of the cup!!

go out and get laid...

Umm, it seems as though you're being awfully nitpicky here, and technically incorrect as well. Although one definition of the word "ace" is the number one, an equally acceptable definition of the term in the golf context is the act of making a hole-in-one, and not simply a "score."

"Ace" is used in precisely the same way we use the terms par, birdie, eagle, and bogey -- it's just that when we say ace, we know the score must be a one.

There's nothing stupid about saying "missed an ace by inches."

May I suggest you run some diagnostics on your sarcasm detector?

Double break in his left leg and he needs another knee surgery. That is heart, stupid and he is pretty damn good.

Yep. He's gonna miss the rest of the golf season, according to ESPN.com.

Think about this: He won the U.S. Open, probably the world's toughest tournament, on a bad knee and a broken leg. :devil:

Think about this: He won the U.S. Open, probably the world's toughest tournament, on a bad knee and a broken leg. 0:)

In a specialized Nike knee brace and a chemically-designed Gatorade pain killer sports drink. :devil:

Think about this: He won the U.S. Open, probably the world's toughest tournament, on a bad knee and a broken leg. :devil:

Golfers are pussies [/Darin]