Question for hunters

Rule #1, Make sure the saftey is on until ready to fire the weapon.

Safety or no...you can't kill something the muzzle isn't facing.

And yes always hand over an empty gun with an open action.

Remember guns don't kill people, stupid does.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need an assault weapon to hunt then maybe hunting isn't your thing.

Why don't you tell us everything you know about "assault" weapons. Try and stay off the tubes while formulating your answer. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably not much.

I don't know what they were hunting but for the life of me I can't figure out why you'd be transporting a hot weapon. I've never done that while hunting (sidearms excluded).

Why don't you tell us everything you know about "assault" weapons. Try and stay off the tubes while formulating your answer. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably not much.

I don't know what they were hunting but for the life of me I can't figure out why you'd be transporting a hot weapon. I've never done that while hunting (sidearms excluded).

Educate me AD. Tell me what you know. I believe they can only be shot by pulling the trigger for every bullet. They can fire off rounds a lot faster than any other legal gun. Tell me the rest you wise man and then tell me why they are necessary in hunting. :thumbsup:

Educate me AD. Tell me what you know. I believe they can only be shot by pulling the trigger for every bullet. They can fire off rounds a lot faster than any other legal gun. Tell me the rest you wise man and then tell me why they are necessary in hunting. :thumbsup:

If only one round can be "shot" per every trigger pull, how exactly is an "assault weapon" different from any other semi-automatic hunting rifle? How would it be possible to "fire off rounds a lot faster than any other legal gun"?

Thanks for exposing yourself as another ignoramus who'll regurgitate whatever is pitched at you by the mass media.

If only one round can be "shot" per every trigger pull, how exactly is an "assault weapon" different from any other semi-automatic hunting rifle? How would it be possible to "fire off rounds a lot faster than any other legal gun"?

Thanks for exposing yourself as another ignoramus who'll regurgitate whatever is pitched at you by the mass media.

You certainly hit the nail on the head there!

I'm not a hunter but many hunters I know have a 1 shot rule to keep it sporting. If they miss, the animal wins

Black powder is where it's at. I'm not much of a hunter anymore, but I've always wanted to try that. Might be worth picking one up just for the range.

In regards to the AK-47, isn't it a 7.62 or some such? If I remember right, that round is on par or slightly "weaker" than the accepted .30-06 or 300 Win. Mag. cartridges that a lot of deer hunters use. Lots of 'assault rifles' were largely designed with a bit of a smaller round in order to reduce recoil (and controllability) when playing in full-auto or burst.

I'm all for keeping guns out of of the hands of the mentally retarded, but AD's right with respect to the assault weapons thing. Especially that ban that recently expired. It really only succeeded in banning guns that look scary.

In regards to the AK-47, isn't it a 7.62 or some such? If I remember right, that round is on par or slightly "weaker" than the accepted .30-06 or 300 Win. Mag. cartridges that a lot of deer hunters use.

The round is equivalent to .308 Winchester.

Everything else you said is correct.

I asked you to educate me on them. Is it possible the facts make it sound bad? Why don't you feel like educating people about the weapon?

Since you don't seem to want to share your knowledge about this weapon I wonder how much you actually know. This should help.

BTW, I knew that would be your exact response and that you wouldn't provide any information. You went all out when somebody knocked NASA and I'm curious why you don't feel like defending these weapons the same way.

So no one knows why this guy was carrying an AK-47? I mean that is a lot of firepower just to get dinner off a few turkeys.

That's the point I was making a few posts ago. It's actually *not* a lot of firepower. The round it uses is no more powerful than a hunting rifle. My .30-06 is more powerful than an AK-47. Those guns are also known for being extremely reliable. He was probably a collector, honestly. If he'd have accidently fired a .454 at him (which *is* a lot of fire power), no one would think twice.

Being in texas at this time of year, with a round like that, I'd guess they were probably just hunting wild pigs. I know that there's no season on them here in GA as they're considered "nuisance animals."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_assault_weapons_ban

It's a WP article, but I think it covers it somewhat fairly.

I asked you to educate me on them. Is it possible the facts make it sound bad? Why don't you feel like educating people about the weapon?

How about because it's not my job? How about because with the internet available, it'd take 2 seconds for you to educate yourself? How about because I think you're a complete waste of time?

Since you don't seem to want to share your knowledge about this weapon I wonder how much you actually know. This should help.

Hmmm. I was in the military for 12 years. I've owned an AK-47 for probably 20. I've forgotten more about small arms than you'll ever learn.

BTW, I knew that would be your exact response and that you wouldn't provide any information. You went all out when somebody knocked NASA and I'm curious why you don't feel like defending these weapons the same way.

I didn't go "all out" in the NASA thread. I copied and pasted a post from a few years ago, when I was still patient enough to spend time educating the terminally stupid.

How about because it's not my job? How about because with the internet available, it'd take 2 seconds for you to educate yourself? How about because I think you're a complete waste of time?

Hmmm. I was in the military for 12 years. I've owned an AK-47 for probably 20. I've forgotten more about small arms than you'll ever learn.

I didn't go "all out" in the NASA thread. I copied and pasted a post from a few years ago, when I was still patient enough to spend time educating the terminally stupid.

If you are going to ask me how much I know on the subject and I man up and tell you, even though I know you'll just ridicule the answer, then you man up and tell me. If you're going to ask a question like that then you need to supply your information. I believe the reason you won't write anything is because it will make my statement about an assault weapon being something a hunter really doesn't need very valid. Just clip and paste if you have to. I already supplied you with the link you'll need.

Hunting is a joke. The most you should be able to use is a very basic bow and arrow combination. The guns/bow/arrows these guys use now is ridiculous. There is not much "sport" about it.

How about just a knife and a short piece of rope? Make it a real challenge.

What type of hunting do you do that you only load the weapon upon seeing the game to be shot at ? I used to walk around looking for game with a loaded shotgun because you never knew what would flush out around you.

What type of hunting do you do that you only load the weapon upon seeing the game to be shot at ? I used to walk around looking for game with a loaded shotgun because you never knew what would flush out around you.

A real man carries his weapon in a locked case and only assembles it when he smells the deer among the pines.

Just about anything. Deer, moose, caribou, turkey etc. I'm not a "flush something out" hunter. I'm a "go in the woods and do your homework, pick the spot the animals travel" hunter. Once I get to my spot, I chamber my round and wait for my moment.