For crissake, Matthews

eball

What a maroon; he embarrasses himself with his lack of insight. This article is a dandy -- he suggests the Bills are "desperate" at TE and should give up their 2009 1st rounder for Shockey.

I'm not questioning Shockey's talent -- it's his brain I don't want anywhere near Orchard Park. This Bills team appears to be pretty tight-knit and a "big-time pass catching TE" who's a head case isn't the answer. Royal is a good player (and was apparently hampered by a bad wheel last year), and Schouman appears to be developing good chemistry with Edwards, judging from OTA reports.

Besides -- we need that 2009 1st rounder so Jauron can draft a safety. 0:)

What a maroon; he embarrasses himself with his lack of insight. This article is a dandy -- he suggests the Bills are "desperate" at TE and should give up their 2009 1st rounder for Shockey.

I'm not questioning Shockey's talent -- it's his brain I don't want anywhere near Orchard Park. This Bills team appears to be pretty tight-knit and a "big-time pass catching TE" who's a head case isn't the answer. Royal is a good player (and was apparently hampered by a bad wheel last year), and Schouman appears to be developing good chemistry with Edwards, judging from OTA reports.

Besides -- we need that 2009 1st rounder so Jauron can draft a safety. 0:)

We need to make a move because Hardy isn't really a "non-head case", and Marshawn might be on the pine for September.

Josh Reed is going to be the leading receiver on this team unless we get another threat in to open Evans up.

I do agree that Schouman might be a wildcard, but just the fact they cut him last year scares me. Heck, I thought Brad Cieslak was a solid passcatcher.

Beyond being an ego-maniac, I've seen Shockey drop WAAAY too many passes for my liking. The Bills offense of recent years have a difficult enought task just staying on the field after 3rd down, to add someone who routinely drops passes throw right into his gut.

No thanks!

I do agree that Schouman might be a wildcard, but just the fact they cut him last year scares me.

The Bills cut a TE a few years ago named Jason Peters. Some years before that they cut Jay Riemersma. Both ended up on the practice squad (although the Giants worked out Peters before he joined the Bills PS). They almost lost Schouman on a waiver claim by the Packers, but GB put in multiple claims & ended up with a different claimed player on their roster. If a team thinks they can sneak a late rounder, who doesn't figure to play much, onto the practice squad, they'll do it. Years ago GB waived their 6th rd pick, Matt Hasselbeck, and put him on the practice squad.

Beyond being an ego-maniac, I've seen Shockey drop WAAAY too many passes for my liking. The Bills offense of recent years have a difficult enought task just staying on the field after 3rd down, to add someone who routinely drops passes throw right into his gut.

No thanks!

Not to mention, he drops the pass, then makes a big spectacle about it and throws a fit on the field or sideline. Then in the press conference after the game, he'll blame either the QB or the refs for the drop.

We need to make a move because Hardy isn't really a "non-head case", and Marshawn might be on the pine for September.

Josh Reed is going to be the leading receiver on this team unless we get another threat in to open Evans up.

I do agree that Schouman might be a wildcard, but just the fact they cut him last year scares me. Heck, I thought Brad Cieslak was a solid passcatcher.

Even if the DA proves Marshawn was driving and he's charged with the misdemeanor, there is no precedent suggesting the NFL will suspend him for such an offense. Hardy is a rookie and should not be expected to be a "major" contributor to the offense early in the season under any circumstances. I don't believe the recent police blotter events carry any relevance in this discussion.

I don't understand the concern if Josh Reed is a big part of the offense. The guy runs like a Mack truck after he catches the ball, and it appears he is finally coming into his own and has established chemistry with Edwards. I don't view that as a problem. Similarly, I don't understand why it matters what happened last year if Schouman is playing lights out THIS year.

I'll be very surprised if the Bills make any additional moves to bring in more pass-catchers. Even if you disagree on that point, my original point remains; it is asinine to suggest they should give up next year's 1st rounder for Shockey.

The Bills cut a TE a few years ago named Jason Peters. Some years before that they cut Jay Riemersma. Both ended up on the practice squad (although the Giants worked out Peters before he joined the Bills PS). They almost lost Schouman on a waiver claim by the Packers, but GB put in multiple claims & ended up with a different claimed player on their roster. If a team thinks they can sneak a late rounder, who doesn't figure to play much, onto the practice squad, they'll do it. Years ago GB waived their 6th rd pick, Matt Hasselbeck, and put him on the practice squad.

Wasn't Schouman just drafted last year ?

Besides -- we need that 2009 1st rounder so Jauron can draft a safety. :w00t:

Hey, don't kid yourself- Shockey would have put the Giants over the top against the Patriots :lol:

What a dumb article. A 1st rounder for shockey? No way.

Matthews is kind of a doofus. Here's a guy who has trouble sparring with Fred Smerlas, who is a good football player but NOT a smart guy. His radio show is mediocre. He spends a ton of time on the "sport" of horse racing, and I'd say like 3% of the listening audience might actually care.

Besides -- we need that 2009 1st rounder so Jauron can draft a safety. :lol:

Wasn't Schouman just drafted last year ?

He was drafted in 2007, waived, Green Bay put in a claim, but chose not to use the claim after a claim on another player came through. He then signed with the Bills practice squad, later he was elevated to the roster.

PRO: Drafted with the 12th pick of the seventh round (222nd overall) in the 2007 draft…the 11th tight end drafted…was one of four Boise St. Broncos drafted…the third player from Boise State drafted by the Bills, the first since 1976.

2007: Played in three games, with one start… Tallied three catches for 19 yards… Spent first five weeks of the season on the practice squad, before being promoted to the 53-man roster… Placed on injured reserve on Nov. 8, 2007… Made NFL debut vs. Bal. (10/21)… Recorded first NFL reception at NYJ (10/28), for nine yards… Had two catches for 10 yards vs. Cin (11/4)

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122760

He was drafted in 2007, waived, Green Bay put in a claim, but chose not to use the claim after a claim on another player came through. He then signed with the Bills practice squad, later he was elevated to the roster.

PRO: Drafted with the 12th pick of the seventh round (222nd overall) in the 2007 draft…the 11th tight end drafted…was one of four Boise St. Broncos drafted…the third player from Boise State drafted by the Bills, the first since 1976.

2007: Played in three games, with one start… Tallied three catches for 19 yards… Spent first five weeks of the season on the practice squad, before being promoted to the 53-man roster… Placed on injured reserve on Nov. 8, 2007… Made NFL debut vs. Bal. (10/21)… Recorded first NFL reception at NYJ (10/28), for nine yards… Had two catches for 10 yards vs. Cin (11/4)

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122760

I didn't recall him being waived, thanks.

I wish he would stop writing, period.

No way - his weekly picks column never gets old.

Best Bet: "[insert biggest road favorite of the week] has more talent. Lay the 8.5."

Footnote: The 'best bet' is 3-9 after 12 pt favored Pittsburgh failed to cover in Houston last week.

What a dumb article. A 1st rounder for shockey? No way.

Matthews is kind of a doofus. Here's a guy who has trouble sparring with Fred Smerlas, who is a good football player but NOT a smart guy. His radio show is mediocre. He spends a ton of time on the "sport" of horse racing, and I'd say like 3% of the listening audience might actually care.

Not to mention the same 15 or so people call his show daily. Horse racing, soccer, golf, baseball, then whatever he has time for. I do like listening to his show just because it is so bad and you never know what loony nugget he'll come up with. He's also the only person I've heard who can say "Rochester, New York" in 3 syllables.

PTR

No thanks!

Shockey is head and shoulders above any TE we have on the roster. Now, is he worth a first rounder with all his baggage? No! But if they can pull something off and give up a 3rd (if we have one we may have gave that away for Stroud) or a package of mid round picks or maybe even a 2nd, we would be crazy not to make that move.

He would be a huge upgrade and especially for a quarterback who consistently checks it down to a back or tight end.