BEST week to be working from home

Was wondering where the fug ya were!

Made it home in time to watch my boys in orange stomp those frogs!

4-1 against France, 3-0 against Italy... looks like Netherlands is the team to beat.

you think they rest in their game with Romania? that would make things interesting if they handed one to the Romanians.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made it home in time to watch my boys in orange stomp those frogs!

4-1 against France, 3-0 against Italy... looks like Netherlands is the team to beat.

you think they rest in their game with Romania? that would make things interesting if they handed one to the Romanians.

The Dutch were sharp as hell yesterday. I missed the game against Italy, but they really impressed me against France. Not to keep bringing up the US team, but one of my criticisms of them has been their tendency to clump up like a pee wee team until the ball gets taken away by the other team. The Dutch were amazing at maintaining proper separation from one another, one-touch passing, and keeping the D spread out until they get the shot they're looking for. It was a very nice display of passing and strategy.

On top of all that, they had the orange and powder blues unis, lol...how can you not love that?

Great finish for the Spanish team. Gotta play until the final whistle sounds.

Ole` Villa !!

Yep, that was an awesome goal :cry:

you catch the turkey czech republic game?

holy crap.

no, i missed the game today. (after watching all week the girl got a little sick of soccer being on, and me on the couch watching it)

what happened? this tourny has been intense so far.

no, i missed the game today. (after watching all week the girl got a little sick of soccer being on, and me on the couch watching it)

what happened? this tourny has been intense so far.

I missed it too, but looks like Turkey was down 0-2 with 15 mins left in the match, and came back to win 3-2...wow!

I am rooting for the Dutch..they have a fun country

haha, between all the good times ive had in amsterdam, and just liking their uniforms, thats why i started cheering for them too.

i just imagine the Dutch would really celebrate the win like its supposed to be celebrated.

only 1 game on today? Germany/Austria, 2:30pm on ESPN.

haha, between all the good times ive had in amsterdam, and just liking their uniforms, thats why i started cheering for them too.

i just imagine the Dutch would really celebrate the win like its supposed to be celebrated.

No, there's also Poland vs. Croatia. But for some reason that I cannot comprehend, it's at the same time as the Germany / Austria game. All of the 3rd round games are this way. So you can't watch both games--you have to pick one. I have no idea why they decided to do it this way. I suppose it's so everybody gets to play in prime time in Europe. Still stupid in my opinion.

Poland vs. Croatia is scheduled for ESPN Classic at 2:30 PM

This is group B play. I think they have the games at the same time

so that one team can't 'tank' the match and alter the standings

for advancement.

Similar to the EPL and the last match of the season.

All the games are at the same time for the relegation issue.

I think they have the games at the same time

so that one team can't 'tank' the match and alter the standings

for advancement.

Similar to the EPL and the last match of the season.

All the games are at the same time for the relegation issue.

Ah yes, good point.

No, there's also Poland vs. Croatia. But for some reason that I cannot comprehend, it's at the same time as the Germany / Austria game. All of the 3rd round games are this way. So you can't watch both games--you have to pick one. I have no idea why they decided to do it this way. I suppose it's so everybody gets to play in prime time in Europe. Still stupid in my opinion.

They do it that way to reduce the tentations and possibilities for teams to not play games at full speed, knowing yet they are qualified or need only a tie to qualify. They do that for all last games of group games in the Euros or the World Cups since the famous Austria-Germany scandal of the 1982 World Cup (both teams could reach the second round with a tie as Algeria had won ealier that day, they then "played" a no game at half speed ending with o-o tie).

They do it that way to reduce the tentations and possibilities for teams to not play games at full speed, knowing yet they are qualified or need only a tie to qualify. They do that for all last games of group games in the Euros or the World Cups since the famous Austria-Germany scandal of the 1982 World Cup (both teams could reach the second round with a tie as Algeria had won ealier that day, they then "played" a no game at half speed ending with o-o tie).

Makes good sense. I should have thought of that, or at least remembered it from watching previous World Cups. :wallbash:

I just caught the replay of the Czech/Turkey game. Wow! What an incredible game! The second half was all action. And that winning goal was a rocket! If any non-soccer fan wants to give the sport a fair chance- watch the second half of that Czech/Turkey game.

I spoke to my brother-in-law yesterday (my wife is from the Netherlands). He told me that the entire country is Orange right now.

You have to love the way the Dutch play. As Andy Gray said when the Dutch played Italy when the game was 1-0, thank God the Dutch were up 1-0 and not the other way around. If Italy had been up by a goal, they would have gone into a defensive shell. The Dutch don't know how to play that way. They are going to press regardless.

Hup Holland hup.

yeah, the dutch just keep on comin.

when they were up 2-0 on France, i left to drive to my gf's place.

in the 15-20 minutes i was on the road it went from 2-0 to 4-1. theyve won both games by 3 goals. they just keep scoring.

you have to love when a team gets a lead, then does not go into defensive mode, but keeps bringing the attack- in any sport!

France and Italy today. Should've been a HUGE game. too bad the Dutch have already trounced that Group though! haha!

does this game even matter for either team? having both lost so badly to Netherlands, can either team end up advancing if they win?

what happens if the Dutch decide to rest their guys and hand Romania a win?

France and Italy today. Should've been a HUGE game. too bad the Dutch have already trounced that Group though! haha!

does this game even matter for either team? having both lost so badly to Netherlands, can either team end up advancing if they win?

what happens if the Dutch decide to rest their guys and hand Romania a win?

if the Dutch let Romania win, the Italy - France game becomes useless. And the Dutch, sure to finish first in that group, have no reason NOT to rest their starters.

if the Dutch let Romania win, the Italy - France game becomes useless. And the Dutch, sure to finish first in that group, have no reason NOT to rest their starters.

agreed, other than the fact that they dont seem to know how to turn it off, even when up by 1 or 2 goals :rolleyes:

France and Italy today. Should've been a HUGE game...does this game even matter for either team?...

I think it matters very much. Should be a great game.

The current Group C standings:

NED - 6 points

ROM - 2 points

ITA - 1 point

FRA - 1 point

If Romania wins, they're in. But I don't think they will. It's not like you can rest your whole starting squad. And the Dutch will not let up. There are still a lot of permutations and everybody's still alive. However, I still think that the winner of France vs. Italy will make it through.

As much as I love the Dutch, I wouldn't count out the winner of France or Italy (assuming Romania lose). Both teams have notoriously slow starts in tournaments.

Romania is no push over either, finishing top in their qualifying group.

The Dutch will rest players, but there isn't alot to choose between some of their starting players and the subs. Robben? Van Persie? Hietigna?

The Dutch are a bit of tragic side....so I'm just waiting for the other shoe to fall. But my favourite European based team, which always costs me heartache.

ill tell ya my favorite part of cheering for teams in this tournament:

theyre not the Bills or Sabres.

what a relief it is to not have to live and die with a team and just casually enjoy a sporting event. im pretty good at dealing with Bills/Sabres losses and failures but it still takes a large emotional toll.

being an "outsider" on these games and being able to just sit back and watch all the fans in the stadium take my fanatical place is a nice break.

ill tell ya my favorite part of cheering for teams in this tournament:

theyre not the Bills or Sabres.

what a relief it is to not have to live and die with a team and just casually enjoy a sporting event. im pretty good at dealing with Bills/Sabres losses and failures but it still takes a large emotional toll.

being an "outsider" on these games and being able to just sit back and watch all the fans in the stadium take my fanatical place is a nice break.

Well said...ever since I was a kid, soccer has always been the one sport where I didn't need to know anything about either team. I just loved to watch the game being played. When you factor in national pride and you get to see people rally around their countrymen during these games, it's really something special.

My favorite match this year was easily the Champs League final in Moscow under the lights (wow!!), but I've really enjoyed these Euro '08 games, too. If I can find a way to get myself to South Africa in two years, I'm SO there. I can't imagine how amazing the WC scene must be when you get up close to it :devil:

Vive le futbal!

It's a Schweinsteigger world and we're all just livin' it in, baby!

Germany moves on! :lol:

Typical Germany - dominated for most of the game but make the most of their chances and win the game. Blatant push for the third goal as well.

Typical Germany - dominated for most of the game but make the most of their chances and win the game. Blatant push for the third goal as well.

I don't care for Michael Ballack. He seems like a dirty player to me. Whenever I watch him play he is doing something questionable. At any rate the dude has a rocket for a shot.

I don't care for Michael Ballack. He seems like a dirty player to me. Whenever I watch him play he is doing something questionable. At any rate the dude has a rocket for a shot.

He pushes off whenever he can, for sure. I'm a bit biased, of course, but I'd rather a player try and get away with an advantage over his opponent as opposed to writhing around on the ground until the stretcher comes out like Ronaldo was doing yesterday. I love watching Ronaldo play, but that replay where he's looking around waiting for the ref to look his way, then going into his histrionics for no reason, was just pathetic :lol:

That being said, how about that second goal by Portugal? Talk about a great goal! I can't believe how fast they set that up...perfect cross into the box, perfect header into the net.

Portugal's keeper lost them the game. I'm glad they lost, but that dude was absolutely pathetic.

Turkey's keeper is SICK! Croatia had a beautiful shot bending into the top right corner of the goal, and the keeper went superhero on him and knocked it over the post. Awesome shot, awesome save :lol: