BEST week to be working from home

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first shot of the kicks and you MISS THE NET!?!?!?!?!?!

TWICE, lol...that was some crazy sh--. Turkey is one fugged up team!

The Turkish goalie was terrible on the goal scored by Croatia, then came up HUGE on the offside Free Kick.

His save in the shootout sealed the deal...And he was the backup goalie as Turkey's primary

goalie was booted for two matches.

I am wondering how many players Turkey will have available when they play Germany.

and did you notice how many security personnel ringed the pitch ?

Were they expecting trouble in this particular match ???

I hope the US squad is watching this ROM/ITA game...the Romanians are playing aggressive and physical, and their goalie is all over the place. You can tell they came to win.

And yet the only goal they scored in the whole group was from a dumb error.

And yet they even got lucky by having a goal disallowed that even the ref admitted was onside.

if the Dutch let Romania win, the Italy - France game becomes useless. And the Dutch, sure to finish first in that group, have no reason NOT to rest their starters.

You forget that Huntelaar, Van Persie and Robben are all on the bench. Not exactly low caliber players there...

I don't care for Michael Ballack. He seems like a dirty player to me. Whenever I watch him play he is doing something questionable. At any rate the dude has a rocket for a shot.

True enough, but you can't really blame Ballack on this occasion. 90% of footballers would do the same - it was the ref's job to spot it and he blew the call.

Been a great tournament so far - lots of goals with hardly any bad games. Even Croatia - Turkey, which seemed to me to be one of the most boring games ever, came to life right at the end. Can't wait for Holland - Russia tonight :lol:

Pretty entertaining game today...Dutch vs. Ruskies. The Russians are here to play, for sure. I like their aggression, but MAN do they suck on set pieces. They shouldn't even bother with them...

The Dutch have some guy named "Boularuse" or something like that...this guy is AWFUL. He's got no touch on his crosses, his shots are like half a mile wide of the net, and he's a pansy. :lol:

Pretty entertaining game today...Dutch vs. Ruskies. The Russians are here to play, for sure. I like their aggression, but MAN do they suck on set pieces. They shouldn't even bother with them...

The Dutch have some guy named "Boularuse" or something like that...this guy is AWFUL. He's got no touch on his crosses, his shots are like half a mile wide of the net, and he's a pansy. :lol:

I guess group stage form doesn't necessarily mean knock out stage form. Gus Hiddink has been here before and it shows.

I guess group stage form doesn't necessarily mean knock out stage form. Gus Hiddink has been here before and it shows.

Can't wait to see Italy's "knockout stage form"....They have to be excited, the game starts at 0-0 and a shootout is only 120 minutes away...

Can't wait to see Italy's "knockout stage form"....They have to be excited, the game starts at 0-0 and a shootout is only 120 minutes away...

lol

Once Luca Toni finds the net we will be fine. But of course I can brag all I want being world champs and all for another 2 years.

Cheers

man the Dutch were flat all game. got outplayed since the opening whistle...

you know Boularouze's daughter died this week, right?

3-1. jeeez louise...

i feel like im cursed. oh well. go italy i guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the third goal offisde?

I really feel bad for Holland though. They saved Italy from being humiliated...

Appreciate the support for the Azzurri.

There is no offside on a throw in... (on a ball directly received from the thrower)

I had the same situation in a match I reffed this AM...

No offside on goal kicks or corner kick either

There is no offside on a throw in... (on a ball directly received from the thrower)

I had the same situation in a match I reffed this AM...

No offside on goal kicks or corner kick either

Alright.

I can't wait for the game tomorrow. Torres worries me a lot. David VIlla not so much.

man the Dutch were flat all game. got outplayed since the opening whistle...

you know Boularouze's daughter died this week, right?

No, I didn't know that....that's awful :blink:

Alright.

I can't wait for the game tomorrow. Torres worries me a lot. David VIlla not so much.

Really? I can't say I've been all that impressed with Villa's overall game, but the little dude seems to have a ridiculous knack for getting himself into the right place at the right time. Torres is clearly the better player, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Villa continue his very productive run.

BTW, where is Totti? He injured?

As much as I love the Dutch, I wouldn't count out the winner of France or Italy (assuming Romania lose). Both teams have notoriously slow starts in tournaments.

Romania is no push over either, finishing top in their qualifying group.

The Dutch will rest players, but there isn't alot to choose between some of their starting players and the subs. Robben? Van Persie? Hietigna?

The Dutch are a bit of tragic side....so I'm just waiting for the other shoe to fall. But my favourite European based team, which always costs me heartache.

...and the other shoe fell today!

Really? I can't say I've been all that impressed with Villa's overall game, but the little dude seems to have a ridiculous knack for getting himself into the right place at the right time. Torres is clearly the better player, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Villa continue his very productive run.

BTW, where is Totti? He injured?

Torres worries me because he plays for Liverpool. Winning mentality there.

Totti has taken his retirement from International Football, but anyways he had season ending surgery in May.

Torres worries me because he plays for Liverpool. Winning mentality there.

Totti has taken his retirement from International Football, but anyways he had season ending surgery in May.

That's disappointing...you did such a good job telling me about the guy that I usually look forward to seeing him play. I was hoping he'd be around for this tourney. He's back with Roma after recovery?

That's disappointing...you did such a good job telling me about the guy that I usually look forward to seeing him play. I was hoping he'd be around for this tourney. He's back with Roma after recovery?

Yes. He's Roman for life. Actually the entire midfield should be Roman.

De Rossi Aquilani and Perrotta. Watch out for Cassano, clearly one of the most talented forwards in Europe.

As a supporter of the Dutch, I have to say that the Russians deserved to win. They played inspired and the Dutch were flat. The Russians are going to continue to be dangerous. They have some very good young talent.

As a supporter of the Dutch, I have to say that the Russians deserved to win. They played inspired and the Dutch were flat. The Russians are going to continue to be dangerous. They have some very good young talent.

Yes and no. For sure they have some players who will surely get recruited by some clubs this summer. I think the motivating factor is their coach though. Gus Hiddink has brought out 300% from all his players. Korea in 2002 (although the refereeing scandal ruined it). Australia 2006 and now Russia 2008. He will probably be gone after the summer and I don't know if another coach could get them to play at that level again.

0-0 Spain-Italy in the 60th minute...Italy halfway home to their typical tournament goal of sucking the life out of the game and then reaching PK's...

"I want all 11 of you behind the ball on defense, and if we actually get into their penalty area, GET DOWN AND GRAB YOUR LEG!"

-Every Italy coach since 1982

Well...it's going into extra time....Italians and their negative football....all neutral's should be cheering for Spain, at least they are trying to play positively. As a football purist, the Italians game has been fairly brutal. But all the better teams are falling out...so expect Spain to lose.

Well...it's going into extra time....Italians and their negative football....all neutral's should be cheering for Spain, at least they are trying to play positively. As a football purist, the Italians game has been fairly brutal. But all the better teams are falling out...so expect Spain to lose.

It's so freaking comical that people actually commend them for this type of play too...The nature of the sport of soccer already lends itself to 1-0 games, and yet Italy receives praise for the "tactics" required to sit back on defense, clog up the final third of the field, and hope to win on a dive in the box or PK's.

Pirlo (suspended today) is a great player with serious class, and I realize Italy misses what he brings from the midfield and on set pieces. Still, Italy getting outplayed yet again in a major tournament and yet advancing by sitting back on defense and diving on offense is a death knell for fans of the sport who appreciate ambitious soccer.

Now we know which three teams will get a massive dose of the FLYING POLOCK! My boy Klose is gonna put on a clinic on the way to winning the thing for the Germans :blink: Hopefully Frings is healthy, cause then we'll have our long range bomber in play, too.

It's so freaking comical that people actually commend them for this type of play too...The nature of the sport of soccer already lends itself to 1-0 games, and yet Italy receives praise for the "tactics" required to sit back on defense, clog up the final third of the field, and hope to win on a dive in the box or PK's.

Pirlo (suspended today) is a great player with serious class, and I realize Italy misses what he brings from the midfield and on set pieces. Still, Italy getting outplayed yet again in a major tournament and yet advancing by sitting back on defense and diving on offense is a death knell for fans of the sport who appreciate ambitious soccer.

That was crap. Donadoni referred to the tactics of previous Italian coaches and deserved to go out. Yes Pirlo was missed but I don't think we can't win without him. We didn't play like this in 2006 and it's the reason we won.

Congrats to the Spaniards.

0-0 Spain-Italy in the 60th minute...Italy halfway home to their typical tournament goal of sucking the life out of the game and then reaching PK's...

"I want all 11 of you behind the ball on defense, and if we actually get into their penalty area, GET DOWN AND GRAB YOUR LEG!"

-Every Italy coach since 1982

Actually the catenaccio started from Ariggo Sacchi's era of 1994 to 2004. The difference is, Italians did not have any good players for that era that could score outside of Baggio. This time it was just crap.

That was crap. Donadoni referred to the tactics of previous Italian coaches and deserved to go out. Yes Pirlo was missed but I don't think we can't win without him. We didn't play like this in 2006 and it's the reason we won.

Congrats to the Spaniards.

I think they could've won too...They have talented players, but their (usual) approach to the game I don't agree with. The majority of the time I've seen him, Toni disappears for long stretches of the game. It's like he's in there solely for his height, and Italy will defend until they can maybe get a free kick, and hope to find Toni's head. Del Piero was subbed in for PK's, and then didn't even shoot (likely he was #5?) With the lack of action up top, I would've probably brought him in sooner...Why not?

Pirlo is a smooth player, I like his game a lot and enjoy watching him...

Is there a new rule about stopping play when a player is down? The ref stopped play twice today when Spain had the ball because Italian players were down. I was under the impression that unless it appeared to be a head injury, play on...Usually the opponent will play the ball out of bounds if they feel the injured player is legitimately hurt and needs a trainer...