NFL Sunday Ticket / Directv / Hi Def?

DPR4444

Do you need to purchase the Super Fan add-on to get the Sunday Ticket games in HD (assuming you are already set up for Directv HD)??

thanks in advance

Don't think so, but you have to purchase the HD package for $99.00 and I think Super Fan is included.

Don't think so, but you have to purchase the HD package for $99.00 and I think Super Fan is included.

The Superfan package IS the HD package, so yes, if you want to see Sunday Ticket games in HD, you have to purchase Superfan.

The Superfan package IS the HD package, so yes, if you want to see Sunday Ticket games in HD, you have to purchase Superfan.

Directv just bleeding you more....for the price of the NFL ticket package HD should be included :thumbsup: !!

Do you need to purchase the Super Fan add-on to get the Sunday Ticket games in HD (assuming you are already set up for Directv HD)??

thanks in advance

Yes, you need the superfan package.

So...even though I already pay a $10/month fee for HD access, I also need to spend $99 per year for the Superfan package, even though I don't care about any Superfan feature other than see the Bills in HD, rather than the stretched out out Silly Putty image on my recatngular screen.

I'm not one to get totally immersed in the whole world of NFL football every hour of Sunday afternoons in the fall. I don't need to see 8 games on the same screen. All I want is to enjoy my Buffalo Bills in the comfort of my own room with a High Def picture (before my aging eyes can no longer appreciate the clarity of high resolution!)

This is the NFL, not Directv who determines pricing.

More NFL greed.

I wonder what they'll do in 2009 if all programming becomes digital/high def and the superfan package is no longer needed for this purpose.

Probably raise the price of the standard NFL ticket.

Yeah, but..

Superfan package also allows you to see 8 games at once with the sliding bracket to move from one to another to listen to the broadcast and select it for viewing. Also provides most teams' regional shows (the Marv Levy Show et al) before the games.

DTV loves me!!

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the $99 SuperFan idea was a DIRECTV thing. But what do I know, I only work on their ad account.

In fact, IIRC, the folks in El Segundo were pretty worried about losing viewers when that whole idea came down the pipeline...plus I thought it was a dumb idea to gouge people who have been faithful customers that are already paying $200+ for NFL Sunday Ticket. Obviously, they listened to me...not.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the $99 SuperFan idea was a DIRECTV thing. But what do I know, I only work on their ad account.

In fact, IIRC, the folks in El Segundo were pretty worried about losing viewers when that whole idea came down the pipeline...plus I thought it was a dumb idea to gouge people who have been faithful customers that are already paying $200+ for NFL Sunday Ticket. Obviously, they listened to me...

They lost me, I will be @ Pt Charlotte Bills Backers Bar for the games this year.

I found this out the hard way. I have had the Sunday ticket for the past three years and last summer got the HD/DVR package added. The first weeks of the Sunday ticket had games in HD which was awesome then in week three those staions were not available and the message on the screen said channel not purchased or something like that. Whwn I called I was told it was a promo and I would need to purchase the HD game pkg. My bill is high enough so I passed.

I found this out the hard way. I have had the Sunday ticket for the past three years and last summer got the HD/DVR package added. The first weeks of the Sunday ticket had games in HD which was awesome then in week three those staions were not available and the message on the screen said channel not purchased or something like that. Whwn I called I was told it was a promo and I would need to purchase the HD game pkg. My bill is high enough so I passed.

It's like any other new(er) technology. When it first comes out, the people most interested in having the technology are willing to shell out the numbers to have it. When DVD players first came out, do you remember how much people were paying for them? Hundreds. Now you can pick up a no-name player for $20 at the local 7-11. But you want Blu-Ray? Hundreds again.

In the end, it's a question of whether you dig the technology. I have a 60" Hitachi that I watch the games on, and to be honest, after watching games in HD, I simply won't accept anything less than HD. It's worth the money to me. But in a year or two, people will be getting their HD signals as their base cable or DSS package after picking up a 42" HDTV at Costco for $200.

DirecTV needs to come out with a "one team" or "one division" package for something like $100 or $125 per season. I'd much rather pay that to get only the Bills games or simply the AFC East games than pay $250 to get the entire NFL. Especially because all of the NFL games are on at the same time. To me, it seems that you'd get a lot more customers. I am a broke ass grad student, so $250 for sunday ticket is too much, seeing how i only spend $10 per week to go watch the games at the bar (which i usually watch 12-13 games).

It's like any other new(er) technology. When it first comes out, the people most interested in having the technology are willing to shell out the numbers to have it. When DVD players first came out, do you remember how much people were paying for them? Hundreds. Now you can pick up a no-name player for $20 at the local 7-11. But you want Blu-Ray? Hundreds again.

In the end, it's a question of whether you dig the technology. I have a 60" Hitachi that I watch the games on, and to be honest, after watching games in HD, I simply won't accept anything less than HD. It's worth the money to me. But in a year or two, people will be getting their HD signals as their base cable or DSS package after picking up a 42" HDTV at Costco for $200.

Amen, brotha. I've had some success getting DTV to waive the $99 fee, by the way, by getting to the "customer retention" department. It probably helps that I've been a customer since '94 and subscribe to just about everything they offer.

Amen, brotha. I've had some success getting DTV to waive the $99 fee, by the way, by getting to the "customer retention" department. It probably helps that I've been a customer since '94 and subscribe to just about everything they offer.

Same here. Been with them since '96, get every channel known to mankind, and they never hesitate to cut a deal on upgrades, etc.

DirecTV needs to come out with a "one team" or "one division" package for something like $100 or $125 per season. I'd much rather pay that to get only the Bills games or simply the AFC East games than pay $250 to get the entire NFL. Especially because all of the NFL games are on at the same time. To me, it seems that you'd get a lot more customers. I am a broke ass grad student, so $250 for sunday ticket is too much, seeing how i only spend $10 per week to go watch the games at the bar (which i usually watch 12-13 games).

I'd totally be on board paying $100 for "one team" or maybe $150 for "one division" instead of paying for a bunch of games that I won't watch.

Since my wife watches the games with me it doesn't make sense to go to a bar to watch - we average around $25 bucks for the two of us plus my one-year-old - so at $250 it's still a better deal than giving the money to Buffalo Wild Wings, but if we went HD and had to pay the extra $99 for the Superfan/HD broadcasts, the gap between ordering Sunday Ticket and going to a bar narrows considerably.

DirecTV needs to come out with a "one team" or "one division" package for something like $100 or $125 per season.

DIRECTV would have to feel comfortable that it wouldn't "cannibalize" their earnings from the full NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ package.

I know I for one would pay less for only the Bills games. The number of potential "new" subscribers would have to outweigh losses from people who choose a lower package. And, from my history from dealing with them, DIRECTV never really properly tests things anyway.

DIRECTV would have to feel comfortable that it wouldn't "cannibalize" their earnings from the full NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ package.

I know I for one would pay less for only the Bills games. The number of potential "new" subscribers would have to outweigh losses from people who choose a lower package. And, from my history from dealing with them, DIRECTV never really properly tests things anyway.

It's not Directv doing the pricing. It's the NFL!

Directv has absolutely no control over the yearly NFL Sunday Ticket subscription price. All they can do is make concessions through other offers or promotions (movie channels, DVRs, etc)

Although the price is a bit steep, it's obviously still worth it for displaced fans like myself. It's my one yearly indulgence and treat to myself. If I were still in Buffalo, I'd probably have season tickets (assuming I could find a decent paying job there).

If left to the available programming here in the Atlanta market, I'd only see the Bills for the Monday night broadcast. The cost of the NFL ticket and HD/Superfan ripoff is still worth the price to be able to sit in my cozy den, with the smell of the pot roast slow cooking, my favorite beverage at my side, total control of the DVR remote so I can pause, FF, RW, adjust the volume, take a nap at halftime, etc.