$300B In DOD Waste

A short documentary on current weapon systems overspending that costs us $300 billion according to GAO Report. link

Overspending on advanced weapons and program delays are nothing new as anyone who follows defense and government appropriations knows quite well. The percentage of cost overruns and amount of delay is staggering on this one.

I must agree that we are wating untold billions on some (many) of the Defense Contracts. A buddy of mine is a Marine Captain who got out and work for a Defense Contractor in the DC area. He's told me about how they attempt to keep busy without actually performing too much work. He said he was chastised for "working too hard". The fear is that if they complete the project too soon that when it comes time for re-bid they will lose value in the contract.

Another story I've observed is a Major buddy of my in my last unit before I retired. He was tasked with leading a MTT's Team over in Iraq and detached to the MEF to compile the team and begin training. When he got there he had his Marines check out all the supply gear they needed from Supply. He was then told to go to this other building where they force fed him all this off the shelf Blackhawk brand tactical gear. He asked them WTF am I supposed to do with all this crap? They told him to just take it. He came back to the unit and showed us all the schit he was issued which was basically exact duplicates of the standard supply gear, but in black canvas.

The are countless other stories out there. The problem as I see it is the political schitstorm and overreaction to the "Body Armor" issue the Dim's ran with. Sure there were a few issues, but it was NOTHING like they made it out to be. It's the same thing with the MRAP vehicles. I could go on and on unfortunately.

I am in the job market now as my present company is circiling the drain. I am a member of a USMC accociation that help Vets find jobs through networking. It is amazing to me how many Defense Contracting jobs there are in the DC area. It seems to me like the States of Maryland And Virginia are being completely supported by Federal Contracts...it's totally Nuckin Futs!

It seems to me like the States of Maryland And Virginia are being completely supported by Federal Contracts...it's totally Nuckin Futs!

Yep, pretty much.

And don't anyone kid themselves...it's not just the DoD wasting money. They're just the biggest and most visible item in the federal budget. My current non-DoD project has probably wasted about 40% of its funding through gross mismanagement over the past five years.

Hey, don't blame me when the levee breaks!

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,

When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,

Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,

Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

Don't it make you feel bad

When you're tryin' to find your way home,

You don't know which way to go?

If you're goin' down South

They go no work to do,

If you don't know about Chicago.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

All last night sat on the levee and moaned, [X2]

Thinkin' about me baby and my happy home.

Going, going to Chicago... Going to Chicago... Sorry but I can't take you...

Going down... going down now... going down....

I would bet DoD's budget could be reduced by close to half and deliver about the same effectiveness. The problem would be the massive unemployment associated.

You think this is wasteful, wait until the construction of nuclear power plants start ramping up. That is going to make DoD look frugal when it's all said and done.

It seems to me like the States of Maryland And Virginia are being completely supported by Federal Contracts...it's totally Nuckin Futs!

What do you expect being that close to DC? Makes sense for companies to set up shop here.

And here I'm reading that the only reason Pentagon insiders turned on Rumsfeld is because they disagreed with him on Iraq, not because he wanted to cut the place up. Silly me.