What type of cell phone does your teenager have?

tmk-nj

Or electricity....or indoor plumbing.

I just don't get why people actually utilize new technology. :D

We're talking a kid here. I have a friend who bought his 12 year old daughter a $350 phone. He got it for $60. Well guess what the 12 year old did. She got it wet and now it needs to be replaced. Can he get it replaced for $60? Nope, they sent him a new phone and a bill for $350. Why does a 12 year old need a phone? Well according to him so when she is done with school he can call her to see if she needs a ride home or to find out what time she'll be home. What ever happened to a conversation with your kid at breakfast. "Will you need a ride home?" "Have a great day, be home by six for dinner."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're talking a kid here. I have a friend who bought his 12 year old daughter a $350 phone. He got it for $60. Well guess what the 12 year old did. She got it wet and now it needs to be replaced. Can he get it replaced for $60? Nope, they sent him a new phone and a bill for $350. Why does a 12 year old need a phone? Well according to him so when she is done with school he can call her to see if she needs a ride home or to find out what time she'll be home. What ever happened to a conversation with your kid at breakfast. "Will you need a ride home?" "Have a great day, be home by six for dinner."

You don't have teenage kids do you. You wouldn't ask that question if you did.

No I don't have a teenage kid. Tell me why a 12 year old needs a phone. Or a 15 year old for that matter.

How about a 10 year old, like my nephew just got. Luckily it's one of those "pay per minute" deals, since he already went through 200 minutes out of 800 in the first three days.

How about a 10 year old, like my nephew just got. Luckily it's one of those "pay per minute" deals, since he already went through 200 minutes out of 800 in the first three days.

Ten years old? Holy crap. The inmates are now officially running the asylum.

No I don't have a teenage kid. Tell me why a 12 year old needs a phone. Or a 15 year old for that matter.

What is all this "need" crap? People "want" cell phones. Adults, kids, everyone. And if someone wants to shell out the money for one, who the hell cares?

Ten years old? Holy crap. The inmates are now officially running the asylum.

When my brother gave us his birthday wish list and minute cards were on it for the phone, we refused to buy him any. I think even 12-13 is questionable.

get her the cheapest verizon phone without a camera. If she wants an upgrade, she'll have to pay for it, or buy on credit in return for getting a job/doing the yard for the summer/etc. In this day and age, i wouldn't let me 15 year old daughter not have a phone, and i won't want it with a camera. I'd hate to find her on facebook somewhere other than on her own account.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...tedPhoneId=3137

that's a freebee without a camera. If you do get a camera, make sure you disable outgoing picture messaging. That way you can do devious things like set up some logging of removable media (the mini sd card that goes into the phone) and see what she's actually taking pictures of. And privacy folks, don't badger me with silly arguments of violation of privacy. if we're age 25+ and we asked our parents to pay for photo developing, they sure as sh-- looked at hte pictures we were taking.

What is all this "need" crap? People "want" cell phones. Adults, kids, everyone. And if someone wants to shell out the money for one, who the hell cares?

So are you saying you just "want" a telephone? I mean sure, I probably could live without one....if I lived on an off-the-grid farm in Idaho and removed myself from modern society. For the rest of us, almost everything from getting a driver's license to getting a job requires a phone number. I'm willing to bet that you do have a telephone. I don't "want" one, I "need" one, and you do too.

In need of a new cell phone? Shouldn't this be about the time that a teenager gets their first?

Do it like they do at my work (the federal gov't)... All the peons get the hand-me-down IT stuff... Now go out and get yourself a nice leather chair, new computer, and cell phone... And give your daughter your old crap!

:thumbsup::(

Don't forget to mention the $100+ bill the 12 year old racks up blabbing with her friends all day.

But we're supposed to feel real sorry when the same guy defaults on his mortgage.

Stuck in Cincy? :(:thumbsup:

Because it's a !@#$ed up world out there full of freaks... 911 saves lives.

So get a tracfone or something to be used in emergencies. My kid will hate me, but they're not getting a phone to use all the time. I'll get them something like a Disney phone when they're young and a prepaid when they get older. Use up the minutes, tough, 911 will still work.

To each is own I guess, but in my world no kid needs a high tech phone.

And that is the reason why the average savings rate in the U.S. is negative. Party up now folks because your retirement is going to suck. :thumbsup:

Becasue it is not 1980 anymore. Why does an adult need a cell phone?

Adults don't NEED one. My wife has quite a nice life without one. As a matter of fact she enjoys the fact that she's not reachable at the push of a button. Nothing and no one is that important.