Matt Jones could get cut by the Jags

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Jones stinks and the Jags are finally realizing you cant win in the NFL with a bunch of big receivers like him...big receivers are nice in the redzone but how about the rest of the field? you need guys that can get off the line and catch the 10 yard pass over the middle on 3rd and 9

Matt Jones stinks and the Jags are finally realizing you cant win in the NFL with a bunch of big receivers like him...big receivers are nice in the redzone but how about the rest of the field? you need guys that can get off the line and catch the 10 yard pass over the middle on 3rd and 9

yeah big WR's suck, just look at Randy Moss, TO, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Larry Fitzgerald, Marques Colston, Plaxico Burress, Brandon Marshall. Why the hell would anyone want a big WR like them on their team?

yeah big WR's suck, just look at Randy Moss, TO, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Larry Fitzgerald, Marques Colston, Plaxico Burress, Brandon Marshall. Why the hell would anyone want a big WR like them on their team?

You're not saying Jones belongs in that group?

it would be nice if you knew how to read....at what point did I say big receivers suck, please find that in my post....I said you cant win in the NFL with a bunch of big receivers like Jones and that big receivers are nice in the redzone but you also need receivers that can go across the middle and catch a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 9

next time get a clue before bringing your internet tough guy act out to play

He would not crack our top 4.

And if you're not one of those 4, you'd better be an excellent ST player as the 5th guy... Matt is not that either. I'd rather have a guy to play special teams like Jenkins than Jones, who wouldn't see the field anyway.

I would give a conditional 7th round pick to the JAX (if Jones makes the roster) and bring him into camp and see what he has....May be he is better than Josh Reed......Our WR corps is still way unproven.....The only known factor is Lee Evans.

why not bring him in for a look? What could we lose? Jones is an athletic freak. DelRio has many in his doghouse- I am not sure why Matt is there. Funny, Wilford was in DelRio's doghouse and many were clamoring for us to sign him- and Jones has more upside. The rumor I heard was Jones was soft- which I loathe in a football player. But why not see first hand what he can bring to the team?

Not for nothin, Jones was in Del Rio's doghouse almost all season too. The only reason he was getting game snaps towards the end of the year was injuries. During the pregame radio show the day the Bills played the Jags last year that was one of the main topics. The big knocks were poor work ethic, poor practice habits, and lack of heart.

While a change of scenery can be good fro some players, I'm thinking I agree with those who think the Bills should pass if this "opportunity" comes up.

why can't he be a gunner?

I think many posters are blinded by thoughts of the concept of position play when actually the key to whether any 4 string WR (and actually most 2nd string players) is how well they play ST. It is the very rare player who makes his living pretty much due to his redzone play (there was a Bills TE a few years back who was notable in this regard. Hardy's potential future as a Bill has a lot more to do with whether he can replicate the success of Sam Aiken rather than whether he could team with Hardy to be redzone terrors.

In order to become a very good gunner, a player would need to demonstrate:

1. Great tackling ability (not a hallmark of many receivers).

2. Great ability and discipline in running the designated ST coverage routes (not something which has been heralded as a Jones strong suit as his work ethic has been questioned).

3. Speed (which is essential for a gunner whose often has the job of beating two block on punt coverage and get down the field to be the first one to the receiver or if you are a Cadillac ST player like Steve Tasker even catch the punt on the goalline to down it- Jones is known for having deceptive speed for a big man but is not mistaken by anyone for Peerless Price world class speed).

I also have heard nothing beyond the mutant height which got Jones picked early to indicate that he has the elusiveness as a runner and great hands to be a return guy or the self-sacrificing ethic to be a wedge guy on return duty or a wedge buster on coverage.

Jones certainly could team with the tall Hardy to create difficult mismatch issues in the redzone, but this benefit seems to pale in significance compared to what simply a very good ST player would give us on a dozen plays during a game to what a mutant redzone threat would give us a couple a times (4 plays would be a lot) in a game.

I doubt we could afford to have any one dimensional player at 4th string WR even if that player was great at the one dimension of redzone play.

I would definitely love to see the Bills to take a chance on Jones. Consider that it takes most receivers about 3 years to adjust to the NFL game. Moulds was thought of as a bust at one time. Jones has never played receiver in his life and still put some decent numbers on a run-first team. I'd be all over Jones if he was available.

You'd be "all over him" huh? I thought this was a football message board, not a dating site...

Totally missed the point, dude. Size doesn't matter (no doubt you've heard these encouraging words before.) He lacks the ability to consistently make plays. You can be the tallest, strongest, fastest guy in the world and it wouldn't matter if you can't catch the ball. Rob Johnson was big, had a cannon arm and was very mobile and athletic...need I say more?

Now...

If they cut Jones, we should look at him and see if he has anything to offer at a reasonable price. If he wants too much or has nothing to offer, no loss on our part.

The thing about Jones is that he became this big name because he was "that guy" in the draft. All the freakish athleticism got grown men warm in spots that have nothing to do with football (see example above.) He's a gimmick guy because he's A)6' 6" B) Has 4.4 speed C) He is A & B + white. Everyone made a big deal out of him and he flopped. This happens all the time.

Don't believe the hype!

You'd be "all over him" huh? I thought this was a football message board, not a dating site...

Totally missed the point, dude. Size doesn't matter (no doubt you've heard these encouraging words before.) He lacks the ability to consistently make plays. You can be the tallest, strongest, fastest guy in the world and it wouldn't matter if you can't catch the ball. Rob Johnson was big, had a cannon arm and was very mobile and athletic...need I say more?

Now...

If they cut Jones, we should look at him and see if he has anything to offer at a reasonable price. If he wants too much or has nothing to offer, no loss on our part.

The thing about Jones is that he became this big name because he was "that guy" in the draft. All the freakish athleticism got grown men warm in spots that have nothing to do with football (see example above.) He's a gimmick guy because he's A)6' 6" B) Has 4.4 speed C) He is A & B + white. Everyone made a big deal out of him and he flopped. This happens all the time.

Don't believe the hype!

Any particular reason why you seem to find some sort of sexual overtone in a couple of posters' comments about Strahan, and make it a point of your post?

You need to take a long look in a mirror, pal... :D

I like how the standard answer when someone get's cut is "he sucked in _______, why would we sign him?" Does this not seem a LITTLE extreme? He's 6'6 and runs like a mid 4.3. The argument against him playing TE after college was, why add 30 lbs and play with average speed when he's so big and could excel outside. I think that argument is out the window. The problem I have with the guy is he doesn't have good hands. He played QB in college so there's really nothing leading me to believe he can block, so unless he learns to catch soon I see him as a 4th-5th receiver at best.

According to Rotoworld.com.

"Matt Jones has not been running among the Jaguars' top four wide receivers during Organized Team Activities. Troy Williamson is a fourth receiver at the moment and will be pushed by Mike Walker, who recently got healthy. Jags.com writer Vic Ketchman expects the team to keep five receivers. It doesn't look like Jones will be one of them."

For the most part, Jones has been pretty underwhelming. Only showing off his true potential just about once a year. Week 17 2007 8-138 1TD, Week 13 2006 6-128 1TD, Week 10 2005 5-117 1TD.

If he gets released, anyone think we should give him a look as our 5th receiver? You know, the whole "new team, new chance" cliche.

At 6-6, 232 and still only 25 years old, he would create even greater mismatches with Hardy in the red zone. And a 4 WR set of Evens, Hardy, Parrish and Jones would create speed and size mismatches all over the field.

Just a thought.

Who wants to be the first one to write the obligitory "I've heard of him" reply?

I think the Bills are in good shape at WR. We don't need Jones. He plays like Shirley Jones.