Celtics/Lakers NBA finals...

Buftex

I cannot believe that people are making a big deal out of ONE foul on poor Paul Pierce......

This series has had lopsided officiated the entire way......the celtics "tough defense" consists of illegal screens by Kevin Garnet on nearly EVERY play, shoves under the basket that would make the Jazz proud, and celtics holding off the ball (and handchecking on the ball) all game to disrupt the flow of the lakers offense.....

And people are crying about one questionable foul?

It doesn't matter.....the officiating bias will swing big time to the celtics next game and it will be over. I just didn't want to lose on my home floor.

Nobody's crying...it was just a pretty blatant foul, at a very pivitol point in the game. It effectively, took any chance the Celtics had of winning the game, at that point, away. Not to say the Lakers wouldn't have won anyways, it just insured it. This was the first call, or non-call, IMO, that was really affected the outcome of one of the games. It wasn't just a lost possession for the Celtics, but also, an easy, uncontested basket for the Lakers. If you think the Celtics defense has been successful merely because of Kevin Garnetts' illeagal screens (which he has been whistled for, at least 3 or 4 times), than all I can say is, "sour grapes". I can't believe the Lakers and their coach made such a big deal about Pierce "faking" an injury.

He has been kicking the crap out of them ever since.

When the Celtics have been dominating the Lakers for large stretches, it has been the result of making them work for every shot. The Lakers have not had very many good, open shots, when the C's have been on their game. It ain't all picks...

As for Garnetts' illegal screens, I dunno. It seems Garnett has been in foul trouble a lot, and the Celtics have been able to shut down Kobe and his boys pretty well, without him.

Personally, I think this series has been called pretty well, all and all. I guess it depends on which team you are rooting for. I think Kobe gets away with a lot. I also think the Lakers and their coach should spend less time worrying about the fouls, and start playing. The Lakers played aggressively the first 2.5 quarters of game 4, and most of last nights game. So, they got away with some fouls. And they kicked the Celtics asses. Not a big deal. That is the way it workls. As Red used to preach "be the attacker, not the attacked!" If the Lakers can find their A game on the road, this could be a great finish...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody's crying...it was just a pretty blatant foul, at a very pivitol point in the game. It effectively, took any chance the Celtics had of winning the game, at that point, away. Not to say the Lakers wouldn't have won anyways, it just insured it. This was the first call, or non-call, IMO, that was really affected the outcome of one of the games. It wasn't just a lost possession for the Celtics, but also, an easy, uncontested basket for the Lakers. If you think the Celtics defense has been successful merely because of Kevin Garnetts' illeagal screens (which he has been whistled for, at least 3 or 4 times), than all I can say is, "sour grapes". I can't believe the Lakers and their coach made such a big deal about Pierce "faking" an injury.

He has been kicking the crap out of them ever since.

When the Celtics have been dominating the Lakers for large stretches, it has been the result of making them work for every shot. The Lakers have not had very many good, open shots, when the C's have been on their game. It ain't all picks...

As for Garnetts' illegal screens, I dunno. It seems Garnett has been in foul trouble a lot, and the Celtics have been able to shut down Kobe and his boys pretty well, without him.

Personally, I think this series has been called pretty well, all and all. I guess it depends on which team you are rooting for. I think Kobe gets away with a lot. I also think the Lakers and their coach should spend less time worrying about the fouls, and start playing. The Lakers played aggressively the first 2.5 quarters of game 4, and most of last nights game. So, they got away with some fouls. And they kicked the Celtics asses. Not a big deal. That is the way it workls. As Red used to preach "be the attacker, not the attacked!" If the Lakers can find their A game on the road, this could be a great finish...

I dont think Kobe gets away with much at all

Congrats to the celtics......the fact is they were the most physical team and when you are a physical team and refs ALLOW you to play physical....you are going to beat a better "execution" team in a 7 game series...which the lakers are minus Bynum

But....this isn't over.....I think these two times are right back here next year and with Bynum this series is going to be much different......

I dont think Kobe gets away with much at all

Congrats to the celtics......the fact is they were the most physical team and when you are a physical team and refs ALLOW you to play physical....you are going to beat a better "execution" team in a 7 game series...which the lakers are minus Bynum

But....this isn't over.....I think these two times are right back here next year and with Bynum this series is going to be much different......

It was a nice win for the Celtics. Very impressive from begining to end. I had a blast with this series...there was a part of me that wanted it to go 7 games...it is becoming more of a rarity that any sporting event gets my juices going, like this series did. I realize it wasn't a "classic" one for the ages, I was hoping the Lakers would have a little more piss and vinnegar tonight. Odom started getting an attitude when the Lakers were down by 30...have to wonder where that was the rest of the series. If I was Kupchek, Odom would be the first guy I would shop around. He has some perceived value, but I think he is not as good as his reputation suggests.

Anyways, like I said earlier, I don't know how many serious championship runs this team has in it. Hopefully they can keep it up next season, but there are some grizzled vets on this team. I really liked the makup of this squad, and I think Doc Rivers deserves a hell of a lot more credit than he is getting.

I do think the Lakers have a good future in front of them, but I think they still need another strong (physically and mentally) forward along with Bynum to contend. To me, I don't think the Celtics are a dirty team, just a team that plays hard. If you think the Lakers are a better team, "execution wise" (something I heard Norm Nixon and Jalen Rose claim before tonights game as well), I can accept that. I would still rather have the championship. I am not sure how much execution means, when you can be completely taken out of your game, at the most important times. I don't think I have seen any team obliterate the triangle offense like the Celtics did in this series. Honestly, and not trying to sound arrogant, or like a cockey Celtics fan, I think the Celtics lapses are the only thing that really gave the Lakers any breath in this series at all. As Kobe said in his post game PC tonight, "you can't win a championship focusing only on the offensive end of the game".

No worries though, unless the Celtics repeat next year, or at least make it to the finals, this team won't go down as an all-time great championship team. I heard on the way home from watching the game tonight, the FOX Sports Radio guy, JT the Brick, putting this in instant perspective: "This Celtics team is not a great team. It took them 26 games to win a championship, longer than any other team in NBA history...this is not a great champion."

I would love to see the Lakers/Celtics rematch, just to shut that kind of crap up...

So much for the "Kobe is as good as/better than Jordan" talk.

The comparisons are a waste of time, but I can understand. People always want to crown the "best" or the "next" in every sport.

Thank you for your official ruling on this matter. However, also understand that Kobe is 30 years old. Jordan was still winning Finals MVP at the age of 36. People seem to forget that Jordan had plenty of struggles before the Bulls got over the Pistons hump. The team defense of those Pistons teams took Jordan out of his rhythm much the same way the great Celtics D just did to Kobe.

To think that Kobe is Michael Jordan (or LeBron or Wade or whomever else people want to compare to Jordan) is so stupid. But it's also pretty rediculous to assume that Kobe is finished. What if he wins four titles in the next six years? Is he better than Jordan then? Who decides that, and why does it matter? What if the Celtics do something the Bulls never did and win four in row? Is Pierce better than Jordan in that event?

Congrats, Celtics fans who went away hiding for YEARS and now 'all of the sudden' are back after a former player hooks them up with a trade...stay true!! 0:)

I never thought of Lakers fans and whiners, but jeez...the Lakers haven't been helped out by lopsided trades over the years at all! Just ask Shaq and Gasol...rooting for the Lakers, if you were not born and raised, is like rooting for the Dallas Cowboys, because they are Americas' team. Lets face it, championship teams, in all sports, are built through trades and free agency. The Lakers haven't been anything without Shaq, who they got for a song, from Orlando...

Wonder why the Staple Center was like a mourge, becuause they don't draw fans, they draw celebrities...I don't need to defend my love of the Celtics to you...I have been following them for nearly 30 years, good and bad.

This assertion that Celtics fans are coming out the woodworks may be true with some...but they still averaged 16,000 a night in an 18,000 arena, with a team that had two competitive seasons in 20 years. :devil: Don't you have some grass to cut!

I never thought of Lakers fans and whiners, but jeez...the Lakers haven't been helped out by lopsided trades over the years at all! Just ask Shaq and Gasol...rooting for the Lakers, if you were not born and raised, is like rooting for the Dallas Cowboys, because they are Americas' team. Lets face it, championship teams, in all sports, are built through trades and free agency. The Lakers haven't been anything without Shaq, who they got for a song, from Orlando...

Wonder why the Staple Center was like a mourge, becuause they don't draw fans, they draw celebrities...I don't need to defend my love of the Celtics to you...I have been following them for nearly 30 years, good and bad.

This assertion that Celtics fans are coming out the woodworks may be true with some...but they still averaged 16,000 a night in an 18,000 arena, with a team that had two competitive seasons in 20 years. :devil: Don't you have some grass to cut!

First of all, I am not a Lakers fan.

2nd, we all know that the Garnett trade was a hook up move from one old Celtic to another, please, lets be real.

How many Celtics fans knew who Rajon Rondo was before this year Show of hands? (Crickets)

NOTE: Last comment not directed at you buftex, and oh it is more then some.

Just happened to go to Game Six last night. The joint was jumpin' and the celebration was fun and semi tame, which is how it should be. The Lakers just werent prepared for a big deciding game on the road. Pretty much everyone was terrible. They got precious few uncontested shots. Kobe did nothing outside of the 3-4 early bombs which were incredible. He was doing a lot of yelling at his teammates, but they deserved it. They stood around and watched the whole game. They didnt get the ball to Gasol when he was hitting his half hook.

Its almost impossible, however, to beat any veteran laden team, at home, when they are hitting their open jumpers with regularity like the Celts were last night. It was quite fun there.

It was a nice win for the Celtics. Very impressive from begining to end. I had a blast with this series...there was a part of me that wanted it to go 7 games...it is becoming more of a rarity that any sporting event gets my juices going, like this series did. I realize it wasn't a "classic" one for the ages, I was hoping the Lakers would have a little more piss and vinnegar tonight. Odom started getting an attitude when the Lakers were down by 30...have to wonder where that was the rest of the series. If I was Kupchek, Odom would be the first guy I would shop around. He has some perceived value, but I think he is not as good as his reputation suggests.

Anyways, like I said earlier, I don't know how many serious championship runs this team has in it. Hopefully they can keep it up next season, but there are some grizzled vets on this team. I really liked the makup of this squad, and I think Doc Rivers deserves a hell of a lot more credit than he is getting.

I do think the Lakers have a good future in front of them, but I think they still need another strong (physically and mentally) forward along with Bynum to contend. To me, I don't think the Celtics are a dirty team, just a team that plays hard. If you think the Lakers are a better team, "execution wise" (something I heard Norm Nixon and Jalen Rose claim before tonights game as well), I can accept that. I would still rather have the championship. I am not sure how much execution means, when you can be completely taken out of your game, at the most important times. I don't think I have seen any team obliterate the triangle offense like the Celtics did in this series. Honestly, and not trying to sound arrogant, or like a cockey Celtics fan, I think the Celtics lapses are the only thing that really gave the Lakers any breath in this series at all. As Kobe said in his post game PC tonight, "you can't win a championship focusing only on the offensive end of the game".

No worries though, unless the Celtics repeat next year, or at least make it to the finals, this team won't go down as an all-time great championship team. I heard on the way home from watching the game tonight, the FOX Sports Radio guy, JT the Brick, putting this in instant perspective: "This Celtics team is not a great team. It took them 26 games to win a championship, longer than any other team in NBA history...this is not a great champion."

I would love to see the Lakers/Celtics rematch, just to shut that kind of crap up...

I consider any team to win a championship to be a great team....nobody should be taking anything away from the celtics in that regard.....

the first thing I look at when it comes to physical vs execution was the way the Celtics outrebounded us....I mean....they KILLED us in that area especially last night. Being able to rebound the ball also means you stop the other teams transition offense and you are able to get your defensive spots better......which we simply could not due with Pao Gaol and Ronny Turiaff....I truly believe we WOULD have been able to due that with Bynum in the game.....

A couple of other notes:

- The celtics were the better team no doubt.....but I dont blame Pao Gasol for this. Gasol is a true PF and should not be playing center. We just didn't have anything else. he was getting moved out of position every time down. if he were playing with Bynum he would not have that problem. Over the series the celtics just beat him down.

- Radmonivich and Luke Walton NEED TO GO. THEY define the definition of soft.

2nd, we all know that the Garnett trade was a hook up move from one old Celtic to another, please, lets be real.

How many Celtics fans knew who Rajon Rondo was before this year Show of hands? (Crickets)

It may be true, but these sort of one sided deals go on all the time, in the NBA. How did the Lakers get Gasol? Hmmm, Memphis GM, old time Laker Jerry West, does his old franchise a favor in giving up Gasol, for certified NBA bust Kwame Brown, another guy nobody cared about, and two future 1st rounders, for one of the best power forwards in the leauge. We all know, in the NBA, first round draft picks have little value, outside the top 5-8 players. Almost every NBA analyst/expert felt that Gasol was the missing link for the Lakers. They likely wouldn't have gotten to the finals without him. The Lakers gave up almost nothing of value for Gasol.

The Celtics at least gave up something for Garnett, a vetran player, whose game, and desire have been in question the last few years. The Wolves got a very good, young, fluid center (a rare commodity in the NBA) in Al Jefferson, two future 1st round picks, and a handful of vetran players with expiring contracts. That is what the Wolves wanted. A chance to get out from under Garnetts' contract, and a chance to clear salary space, and start rebuilding. So, what is different about this than what the Lakers did with Gasol? IMO, the Celtics were taking a much bigger chance, with, albeit, a much bigger upside, if it panned out.

As for Rondo, Doc Rivers is doing a hell of a job with him. The Celtics have had some good young players in the past 20 years, but fools like Rick Pitino and ML Carr were too quick to pull the plug on them, if they weren't superstars right out of the box. Many of them were let go prematurely by Boston, only to blossom elsewhere. Nobody took note of Rondo last season (unless they really followed the team) because 24 win teams don't get a lot of coverage, and as a rookie, his game was very rough. But, McHale wanted the Celtics to throw in Rondo as part of the Garnett deal...so somebody knew he had some value. He is a good basketball player, and getting better.

I have watched at least 70 Celtics games a year since I moved back to Boston in 1998, so I sure as sh-- knew who Rondo was. I survived the Milt Palacio, Chris Herren and Shammond Williams PG eras. I was directly behind the bench at a game 3 years ago when Perkins had 19 rebounds against Philly. Any other questions, smart guy?