Just give Peters his money.

Ok, I know this is not new news, but the lack of Bills things to talk about is getting to me, so here goes.

This guy is the only person not at the OTAs, not good. While he hasn't been vocal about his contract situation, his absence sends a loud message. Peters started as a long shot to make the team, contributed on STs and spot duty at TE, then he made a switch to learn LT. Wow. That can't be easy now huh?

McNally coached this guy into a beast. The young man was regarded as an up and comer at LT in '06 and then last year he emerged and made the Pro Bowl.

You need not look too hard to realize that LT is one of the most premium positions in the entire NFL. Look at how many teams draft these guys so high. After QB, LT is the most important position in football.

Peters is an elite LT and already a Pro Bowler, and he's only 26, let me repeat that, hes ONLY 26 AND ALREADY AN ELITE PRO BOWLER!!! Just give him a six-year extension, $30 million guaranteed and not have to worry about the LT position for the next ten years. You need this guy on your line, protecting Trent's blind side. Buffalo struck gold with Jason, he did all they asked and is now a star, so pay up, geez.

I know we gotta sign Evans and Crowell, but we need to get this Peters distraction out of the way. He has a right to be pissed.

LT is too important a position and Peters is too good a player to not do this.

C'mon!

PhUCK him... what do you do when you extend him for 6 years, The Bills still haven't made the playoffs and he starts not showing up to camps and OTA's again in 2010, because he knows you caved in the 1st time. It's like a cancer, you don't want to feed it. Is it any coincidence he had a "Pro Bowl" year playing next to Derrick Dockery? Not Knocking hs skills, just bringing up the point, what would he look like playing next to Tutan Reyes, or Bennie Anderson?

he can wait......take care of the actual free agents to be, not a dude with 3 years left on his contract.......he'll be there come game 1 and i could care less if he's happy or not

interesting.... Per Bucky Brooks on SI.com

• After earning his first Pro Bowl nomination at the end of 2007, Bills left tackle Jason Peters is currently boycotting all team activities to express his dissatisfaction with his contract situation. Peters, a former undrafted college tight end who successfully transitioned to offensive tackle, is currently ranked third on the Bills' offensive line in compensation, and he contends that he has outperformed his current deal, given the market for top tackles.

While Peters has a legitimate gripe regarding his stature on the team, the Bills run the risk of setting a bad precedent by renegotiating his deal at this time. "There is a growing trend by players of wanting to return to the table, if their team signs a free agent at their position to a big contract," said a NFC personnel executive. "Players fail to recognize that the respective player went through the free agent process and several factors could've contributed to the size of the deal." In this case, the Bills proactively identified Peters as a budding star at the position and rewarded him with a five-year, $15.5 contract in 2006. Thus, heading back to the table only two years into the deal would encourage several of his teammates to voice their displeasure about their contracts.

The Bills must handle the Peters' situation correctly to prevent an onslaught of holdouts from their promising young players. The best scenario for the Bills would be for Peters to play this season under his current deal with the notion of renegotiating the contract at the end of the year. This would allow the Bills to accurately assess the market and offer a deal commensurate with Peters' stature as one of the top tackles in the league.

interesting.... Per Bucky Brooks on SI.com

• After earning his first Pro Bowl nomination at the end of 2007, Bills left tackle Jason Peters is currently boycotting all team activities to express his dissatisfaction with his contract situation. Peters, a former undrafted college tight end who successfully transitioned to offensive tackle, is currently ranked third on the Bills' offensive line in compensation, and he contends that he has outperformed his current deal, given the market for top tackles.

While Peters has a legitimate gripe regarding his stature on the team, the Bills run the risk of setting a bad precedent by renegotiating his deal at this time. "There is a growing trend by players of wanting to return to the table, if their team signs a free agent at their position to a big contract," said a NFC personnel executive. "Players fail to recognize that the respective player went through the free agent process and several factors could've contributed to the size of the deal." In this case, the Bills proactively identified Peters as a budding star at the position and rewarded him with a five-year, $15.5 contract in 2006. Thus, heading back to the table only two years into the deal would encourage several of his teammates to voice their displeasure about their contracts.

The Bills must handle the Peters' situation correctly to prevent an onslaught of holdouts from their promising young players. The best scenario for the Bills would be for Peters to play this season under his current deal with the notion of renegotiating the contract at the end of the year. This would allow the Bills to accurately assess the market and offer a deal commensurate with Peters' stature as one of the top tackles in the league.

No doubt he came from nowhere and is now a top 10-15 LT but one year does not make a "an elite LT."

He was not a blue chip top 5 draft pick, no pedigree. He earned his position and was happy to sign a deal paying him

3 Mil/yr. Teams that bring along a player like this are supposed to be rewarded with loyalty and to have them for a time

at lower than market price. Now, if he improves on last year I would say he deserves top 10 money but until then

he needs to dominate and do his talking on the field...

But what do I know, I'm just a caveman.

No doubt he came from nowhere and is now a top 10-15 LT but one year does not make a "an elite LT."

He was not a blue chip top 5 draft pick, no pedigree. He earned his position and was happy to sign a deal paying him

3 Mil/yr. Teams that bring along a player like this are supposed to be rewarded with loyalty and to have them for a time

at lower than market price. Now, if he improves on last year I would say he deserves top 10 money but until then

he needs to dominate and do his talking on the field...

But what do I know, I'm just a caveman.

Watch him closer this year Gash Man. Jason Peters is very good at all phases of LT, and I'm not sure if he has started 20 games or not.

Peters is a monster on the inside run, and has the speed and agility to get outside. He is even better against the pass. He stays step for step with rushers, and is so strong that he can push them off merely by extending his very long arms. Jason might be the strongest player on the team, and he doesn't get out muscled on bull rushes. As he gains experience, his game will probebly get even better.

I say give him a slightly higher deal than Dockery (this would be a discount), and guarantee him 20 million.

I just don't get the whole " I want a new deal" deal? You signed a contract, it was good enough for you to sign then and now it's not good enough. I really like Peters and think he will be a great player for us but he has a contract already.

GO BILLS!

Watch him closer this year Gash Man. Jason Peters is very good at all phases of LT, and I'm not sure if he has started 20 games or not.

Peters is a monster on the inside run, and has the speed and agility to get outside. He is even better against the pass. He stays step for step with rushers, and is so strong that he can push them off merely by extending his very long arms. Jason might be the strongest player on the team, and he doesn't get out muscled on bull rushes. As he gains experience, his game will probebly get even better.

I say give him a slightly higher deal than Dockery (this would be a discount), and guarantee him 20 million.

I dont doubt his skills, I have watched his play closely back to when he was the wedge buster on ST...He

just knocked people the "F" out. Truly he is a gifted athlete. My point is that, to renegocitate two years in is

too soon. Give me one more great year, progress from last year and you have your bank breaker contract.

I get the whole "he's only two years into a five year deal", but in only his first full season at LT he made the Pro Bowl and is regarded as one of the best LTs already. Right now it's just his athletic ability that is carrying him, once he gets more experience and learns the nuances of the position he's gonna be an absolute monster.

He's just looking around at other top LTs and the obscene contracts they get, he just wants a piece of the pie.

I still think Buffalo should pay him, but the Bills are definately at an advantage because they have him locked up for three more years. And yes, it's true you don't wanna set a precedent by giving him a huge deal while in the middle of a contract, setting the table for other vets to gripe for money (see Chad Johnson and Brian Urlacher).

I just keeping looking at how good he is, how much better he's gonna get, how young he is, how important the position is, and that he's not a character concern.

There would be no discussion of paying Peters the proper amount for a LT IF the Bills were not forced to pay obscene amounts to the LG.

If that money was paid to Peters, there would be no uproar.

But not to worry, the Bills have converted another TE (Murphy) to LT to take Peters place. :thumbsup:

Maybe some day they will actually draft some OL to play the interior of the line so they won;t be paying megabucks to the wrong OL positions.

There would be no discussion of paying Peters the proper amount for a LT IF the Bills were not forced to pay obscene amounts to the LG.

If that money was paid to Peters, there would be no uproar.

But not to worry, the Bills have converted another TE (Murphy) to LT to take Peters place. :thumbsup:

Maybe some day they will actually draft some OL to play the interior of the line so they won;t be paying megabucks to the wrong OL positions.

1. Top LTs around the league make 50+ million. Peters is going to get the same amount of money regardless of how much dockery was paid.

2. Guards are being paid more than ever before. Dockery was paid the going rate. To ignore this is to keep your head in the sand.

3. Which NFL teams have starting quality backup LTs?

Ok, I know this is not new news, but the lack of Bills things to talk about is getting to me, so here goes.

This guy is the only person not at the OTAs, not good. While he hasn't been vocal about his contract situation, his absence sends a loud message. Peters started as a long shot to make the team, contributed on STs and spot duty at TE, then he made a switch to learn LT. Wow. That can't be easy now huh?

McNally coached this guy into a beast. The young man was regarded as an up and comer at LT in '06 and then last year he emerged and made the Pro Bowl.

You need not look too hard to realize that LT is one of the most premium positions in the entire NFL. Look at how many teams draft these guys so high. After QB, LT is the most important position in football.

Peters is an elite LT and already a Pro Bowler, and he's only 26, let me repeat that, hes ONLY 26 AND ALREADY AN ELITE PRO BOWLER!!! Just give him a six-year extension, $30 million guaranteed and not have to worry about the LT position for the next ten years. You need this guy on your line, protecting Trent's blind side. Buffalo struck gold with Jason, he did all they asked and is now a star, so pay up, geez.

I know we gotta sign Evans and Crowell, but we need to get this Peters distraction out of the way. He has a right to be pissed.

LT is too important a position and Peters is too good a player to not do this.

C'mon!

The Bills locked him up by giving him a nice lucrative deal as a young player still developing (the Eagles are great at this) and now Peters wants a new deal less then halfway through that deal after his one and only pro bowl berth. Lets face it the guy is good but he hasnt reached the level of Pace or Ogden when they were in their prime....if he gets paid now he will most likely want a new deal if and when he reaches that level as well

The fact is you dont just give a guy a new contract simply because he wants one and thinks he deserves one....Peters got paid early and should honor that deal for at least this year if not the next two years

the Bills only have one no show for OTAs, how is that anything but positive...yes you would like to see everyone there but there isnt a team in the league that wouldnt take that kind of attendance

3. Which NFL teams have starting quality backup LTs?

CIN - Andrew Whitworth, their 2006 #2.

Their OL coach Paul Alexander is one of the best in the business ...which helps them a lot. He's a master at teaching versatility. Whitworth plays guard and tackle. Franchise player Stacey Andrews plays guard and rt. tackle. Under Alexander, Steinbach played guard, left tackle and filled in more than admirably at center when called on.

When G Mike Goff left to go to success with SD, B'gals acquired RG Bobbie Williams from PHI. But generally, they like to draft OLs and groom them.

B'gals have an OL entering his 3rd year under Alexander - Nate Livings from LSU. If CIN cuts him, BUF should grab him.

I say that you tell him to play this season and that at the end, they can entertain a renegotiation. That allows the Bills see him play a whole season uninjured (hopefully). It also gives Peters a contract season, so to speak. Hopefully, he'll shine even more this year with the hopes of a new contract and more money, the rest of the team doesn't see the Bills give in to contract demands (even though they ultimately will be restructuring, it isn't just folding outright which is important), and the Bills get a probowl LT on the cheap ($3M) for an extra year.

The problem with this scenario is that, assuming Evans doesn't sign a new contract this offseason, it will leave Crowell, Evans, and now Peters looking for new contracts at the end of what could be one of the best seasons in awhile for the Bills.

The Bills can use the Dockery contract as a point of reference, and wind up getting a discount of sorts. That would make it a win/win situation. With 3 years to go, they are in the drivers seat, and need to tie up Peters long term. You think Clements got a big contract? Peters, as a UFA, would break the bank. Let's hope it never reaches that point.