Underrated Comedies

slothrop

I know it's only partially a comedy.....but Trainspotting is one of my all time favorite movies.

Anyone remember this scene?:

Renton: Brilliant gold taps, virginal white marble, a seat carved from ebony, a cistern full of chanel number five, and a flunky handing me pieces of raw silk toilet roll. But under the circumstances I'll settle for anywhere.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of movies mentioned above are pretty mainstream and not really underrated in my opinion, one that is not is Cable Guy. I know most people hate it but in my opinion it's hilarious.

I'm going chick flick for underrated comedy...Notting Hill

Cable Guy (stiller and carey's best work, great dark comedy)

Wet Hot American Summer (cast of the State/Reno 911)

I thought I was the only one that enjoyed that one. But I don't remember Stiller in it, It was Matthew Broderick with Jim Carrey in the lead, Jack Black played his friend

I probably wouldn't have liked it as much if Stiller was a lead in it, Theres only one Stiller that makes me laugh and its Jerry

Another one that I liked was Death to Smoochy

I thought I was the only one that enjoyed that one. But I don't remember Stiller in it, It was Matthew Broderick with Jim Carrey in the lead, Jack Black played his friend

I probably wouldn't have liked it as much if Stiller was a lead in it, Theres only one Stiller that makes me laugh and its Jerry

Stiller directed it.

I know it's only partially a comedy.....but Trainspotting is one of my all time favorite movies.

Anyone remember this scene?:

Renton: Brilliant gold taps, virginal white marble, a seat carved from ebony, a cistern full of chanel number five, and a flunky handing me pieces of raw silk toilet roll. But under the circumstances I'll settle for anywhere.

Great F-ing movie and a better book. Best use of music in a movie, ever - especially Lou Reed's "Perfect Day." Here are some of may favorite quotes from the movie:

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: [narrating] Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a !@#$ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of !@#$ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the !@#$ you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing !@#$ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, !@#$ up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

TOMMY: Doesn't it make you proud to be Scottish?

RENTON: I hate being Scottish. We're the lowest of the !@#$ing low, the scum of the earth, the most wretched, servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world will not make any !@#$ing difference.

1st Interviewer: Mr. Murphy, do you mean that you lied on your application?

Spud: No! Uh. Yes. Only to get my foot in the door. Showing initiative and that like.

1st Interviewer: But you were referred here by the department of employment, there was no need for you to get your "foot in the door," as you put it.

Spud: Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.

2nd Interviewer: Mr. Murphy, what attracts you to the leisure industry?

Spud: In a word: pleasure. It's like, my pleasure in other people's leisure.

Tommy: Useless mother!@#$er, that's what she called me. I told her, I'm sorry, but these things happen. Let's put it behind us.

Spud: That's fair enough.

Tommy: Yes, but then she finds out I've bought a ticket for Iggy Pop the same night.

Spud: Went ballistic?

Tommy: Big time. Absolutely !@#$ing radge. 'It's me or Iggy Pop, time to decide.'

Spud: So what's it going to be?

Tommy: Well, I've paid for the ticket.

The other quotes I could not find that I really liked was teh one where Begbie says he looks down on anyone addicted to drugs as he gulps down his beer (he is a fierce alcoholic).

The other one I like is when Renton talks about how his mother is a legal drug addict (valume).

And played the brothers accused of murder throughout the story

I knew I forgot something. I also liked it when I realized that the guy who opens up a book when the tv goes out was Kyle Gass.

Bingo! We have a winner! :)

At first I thought I was in the overrated thread when I saw people listing Jim Carey and Ben Stiller movies. :thumbsup:

Election

Great call here. Election is an outstanding dark comedy.

And from the '80s cheese files, you can't go wrong with Summer School. :lol:

A lot of movies mentioned above are pretty mainstream and not really underrated in my opinion, one that is not is Cable Guy. I know most people hate it but in my opinion it's hilarious.

loved cable guy. jim carey was unbelievable in that.

I'll also second election - reese was awesome. I saw that on a first date and it got a bit uncomfortable 5 minutes into the movie directly after Mathew Broderick says "There is one thing you need to know about Tracy Flick..."

(anybody remember what line comes next?)