Renagotiating contracts

I know theres been alot of talk about Jason Peters contract already but up until now I've never seen anyone more deserving of more $. You look at guys like Urlacher who sign long terms to immediately cash in on big signing bonus just to to get greedy and then pout later on about wanting more or any other of a hundred other whiners who actually signed decent money deals just to want more. This is probably the first guy I've seen who I feel actually has out performed his current deal.

Pay him and keep him!

I don't think it is a choice between the two at all. However, if forced to choose I'd pick Peters. It is more difficult to find pro-bowl LTs than it is to find pro-bowl WRs. Not only that, it is difficult to get the ball to your WRs if you don't have a good LT.

Here's the question: would you rather keep Peters of Evans? Can we afford fat contracts for both players?

PTR

Here's the question: would you rather keep Peters of Evans? Can we afford fat contracts for both players?

PTR

I think we can, we have like $20-$30 million of the cash to the cap left. Besides, i think they will be willing to go over that a little to lock up their nucleus.

I don't think it is a choice between the two at all. However, if forced to choose I'd pick Peters. It is more difficult to find pro-bowl LTs than it is to find pro-bowl WRs. Not only that, it is difficult to get the ball to your WRs if you don't have a good LT.

In the Bills case, it is more difficult than for most teams since they limit their resource spending to 7th round draft picks and UDFA

PTR

Right track. I think it has more to do with Evans,Peters, and Crowell. I think you can keep Evans and Peters. With the money coming in from the toronto deal, + the cap space we have, it's fully possible to keep Evans and Peters. The issue becomes Crowell. While some around here, are fans of his, he's not a guy you break bank for. I'd let Crowell walk, and sign the other 2 to lengthy extensions.

In the Bills case, it is more difficult than for most teams since they limit their resource spending to 7th round draft picks and UDFA

So what are all of the NFL teams with starting quality backup LTs?

I think Peters should have played out one more year on his contract before doing this, in my opinion. He received a significant raise over what he deserved when we signed him two years ago, so I think playing one more season underpaid and then re-negotiating still with two years left is fair.

However, fair never happens in football.

Thanks!

I think Peters should have played out one more year on his contract before doing this, in my opinion. He received a significant raise over what he deserved when we signed him two years ago, so I think playing one more season underpaid and then re-negotiating still with two years left is fair.

However, fair never happens in football.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. So, I'll just add... :lol:

I know theres been alot of talk about Jason Peters contract already but up until now I've never seen anyone more deserving of more $. You look at guys like Urlacher who sign long terms to immediately cash in on big signing bonus just to to get greedy and then pout later on about wanting more or any other of a hundred other whiners who actually signed decent money deals just to want more. This is probably the first guy I've seen who I feel actually has out performed his current deal.

Pay him and keep him!

Absolutely. He's earned it. He worked his tail off and made himself into a pro bowl left tackle. That's the most important position on offence after quarterback. And he's only 26. Why not pay up, give him $30 million guaranteed, keep him happy, and shore up that position with a pro bowl talent for the next eight years. He has a right to want a new contract, he's young and has earned it. 'Nuff said.

This renegotiating thing is weird to me. We rarely see it in baseball. NFL contracts should mean more than what they do. Guarantee the things and put a stop to this pressure to redo this contracts prematurely. Perhaps 2 years or less must remain before any renegotiating? I don't know. I am sure the CBA geniuses will work it out.

This renegotiating thing is weird to me. We rarely see it in baseball. NFL contracts should mean more than what they do. Guarantee the things and put a stop to this pressure to redo this contracts prematurely. Perhaps 2 years or less must remain before any renegotiating? I don't know. I am sure the CBA geniuses will work it out.

Clearly you don't see it in baseball becasue the contracts are guaranteed and players rarely outperform their deals after they sign free agent contracts and they have little leverage before they become free agents. Their arbitration system works well for young players who are going above and beyond but to guarantee contracts in the NFL would screw up the whole system. The rate of injuries which either end careers or reduce a player's ability to perform at their previous level are far more common in football than in baseball. It would be chaotic.