M.Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" Red Band Trailer

Hopefully this one won't be as crappy as his last few "films" have been. Seems like he's done nothing but go downhill since The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Too true. Actually I thought "Unbreakable" had a good concept, but the storyline was weak. The movies after those were bad, real bad (I didn't even see "Lady in the Water.").

Too true. Actually I thought "Unbreakable" had a good concept, but the storyline was weak. The movies after those were bad, real bad (I didn't even see "Lady in the Water.").

Oh no, I really liked Unbreakable. I thought everything afterward was progressively worse. Signs was a bit of a disappointment, The Village was an even bigger letdown, and that Lady in the Water was an atrocity. If I missed any others...........thank God.

So it seems to compensate for not having a scary or cinematic "bad guy", they are just going to make it overly gory.

Ugh.

Just as long as he's stopped writing endings first, then trying to write an entire script to go w/ it. That was getting tired.

Sixth Sense was a damn masterpiece, and on the SECOND viewing I loved Unbreakable. Signs I had more fun with than most, but wasn't as crazy about The Village or Lady in the Water. I'm a big fan of his, though, cause he's passionate about audio quality, and his films make for great demos on my home theater :D

Oh no, I really liked Unbreakable. I thought everything afterward was progressively worse. Signs was a bit of a disappointment, The Village was an even bigger letdown, and that Lady in the Water was an atrocity. If I missed any others...........thank God.

I thought Unbreakable was very good too. The majority on Unbreakable is you either love it or hate it. I have also enjoyed his other films too.

I thought Signs, and The Village were very good movies. Lady in the Water was a weaker film, but I still thought it was decent.

I think that when it comes to Shyamalan is that in his movies he puts fantastical elements in a modern day setting, and people just have a difficult time accepting that. I get tired of people bad mouthing his movies, saying "that would never happen". Yet I find people being far more tolerant of The Sixth Sense. I guess it is more acceptable for a kid to see dead people than it is to accept a grown man who is unbreakable.

If you do'nt like Shyamalan's movies because you do'nt care for the plot or if it is'nt entertaining to you, fine. Still you can't deny that his writing & directing skills are good. And he gets very good performances out of his actors. Not to mention he is one of the people out there that is putting out those original ideas everyone is clamoring for.

I thought Unbreakable was very good too. The majority on Unbreakable is you either love it or hate it. I have also enjoyed his other films too.

I thought Signs, and The Village were very good movies. Lady in the Water was a weaker film, but I still thought it was decent.

I think that when it comes to Shyamalan is that in his movies he puts fantastical elements in a modern day setting, and people just have a difficult time accepting that. I get tired of people bad mouthing his movies, saying "that would never happen". Yet I find people being far more tolerant of The Sixth Sense. I guess it is more acceptable for a kid to see dead people than it is to accept a grown man who is unbreakable.

If you do'nt like Shyamalan's movies because you do'nt care for the plot or if it is'nt entertaining to you, fine. Still you can't deny that his writing & directing skills are good. And he gets very good performances out of his actors. Not to mention he is one of the people out there that is putting out those original ideas everyone is clamoring for.

I have nothing but respect for his talents as a writer and director. In fact, I think his ability with dialogue is one of the absolute best in the business.

He got caught in a bit of a trap by constantly having to one up his films and got labeled as the king of twist endings. That hurt him a bit.

However, having read The Happening, my concern has always been that while it reads great on the page, it's not a movie. There's not a twist or big shakeup. The story at its core is sweet and well told. But the bad guy simply is not something they can make "look" scary or "feel" scary without it coming across as cheesy. I also felt there was no way to make this film without it being a very hard R.

However ... I don't think it needs to be overly gory. Yet, based on the redline trailer, that's where they're going. They're compensating for the lack of a bad guy by upping the gore factor. That turns me off ... but that's just me.

W/ me, it's not the contrast w/ fantasy and the real world. I just do not like the end result of his films since Unbreakable. I think, as I and tgreg99 stated, he did get caught up in customizing his films to fit his "shocking endings". He certainly has talent, which is why I hold out hope that he'll just make a good film.

As for the original idea remark, I am a fan of guys like Mark Pellington (Arlington Road and The Mothman Prophecies were both terrific), PT Anderson (Boogie Nights is a work of art and Magnolia is right up your alley by being unusual but very good), and, of course, the Cohens (I own just 'bout everything they've done; I think The Man Who Wasn't There is VERY underrated). None of them would qualify as run of the mill Hollywood directors.

My favorite movie of his is "Signs."

What I like about it (and his other movies), is that, even though you have these sci fi type events happening all around, that's not what the movies are about. They are simple stories with compelling themes (e.g., losing one's faith) and the characters are well-developed.

It was good until the end. C'mon, tap water hurts the aliens? They weren't rock creatures, so they had to have liquid inside of them. It's a contradiction.

Must have been the atomic make-up of the water that did it--aliens are repulsed by the 2 atoms of hyrogen. :D

But seriously, the ending was great. He built up those flashbacks to the wife's car accident throughout the whole movie and then it all fit together at the end with the whole "swing away, merrill," etc. and then the realization that there were 50 glasses of water around the room.

W/ me, it's not the contrast w/ fantasy and the real world. I just do not like the end result of his films since Unbreakable. I think, as I and tgreg99 stated, he did get caught up in customizing his films to fit his "shocking endings". He certainly has talent, which is why I hold out hope that he'll just make a good film.

As for the original idea remark, I am a fan of guys like Mark Pellington (Arlington Road and The Mothman Prophecies were both terrific), PT Anderson (Boogie Nights is a work of art and Magnolia is right up your alley by being unusual but very good), and, of course, the Cohens (I own just 'bout everything they've done; I think The Man Who Wasn't There is VERY underrated). None of them would qualify as run of the mill Hollywood directors.

You are probably right about the "shocking endings", and I would like to see him get away from that. Still I do'nt think they take away from his movies.

I can not say anything about Mark Pellington as I have not seen Arlington Road or The Mothman Prophecies, but I do agree with you about PT Anderson, Boogie Nights & Magnolia are brilliant movies. As far as The Cohens go, I just can not get into their schtick, I think Fargo is overrated and Big Lebowski is average. Having said that, these particular director's are on a more independent level of filmmaking, where as Shyamalan's movies reach a more mainstream audience, with bigger production costs, and more big name actors. We both agree on a personal level about Boogie Nights & Magnolia, but from a mainstream point of view, Boogie Nights has more of a cult following, and Magnolia was despised by many others.

In the end, I also hope that Shyamalan can continue to make good films.

It was good until the end. C'mon, tap water hurts the aliens? They weren't rock creatures, so they had to have liquid inside of them. It's a contradiction.

Aaaah, but the movie wasn't really about aliens and crop circles at all.

Must have been the atomic make-up of the water that did it--aliens are repulsed by the 2 atoms of hyrogen. :rolleyes:

But seriously, the ending was great. He built up those flashbacks to the wife's car accident throughout the whole movie and then it all fit together at the end with the whole "swing away, merrill," etc. and then the realization that there were 50 glasses of water around the room.

Seriously, I got chills the first time I saw that ending..."tell Merrill to swing away." Fantastic stuff.

And I've never understood all the hate for The Village. That twist had me hook, line and sinker.

Lady In The Water was indeed an atrocity though, no argument here.

All liquids are water based then? Liquid does not equal water. Anything can be a solid, liquid or gas given the right conditions. Mercury is a metal and is liquid at room temperature. Other metals have very low melting points such as sodium which melts at 98 degrees celsius (208 Fahrenheit) and potassium which melts at 63.35 (145 fahrenheit) as opposed to something like iron which melts at 1,535 degress celsius. Your body temp is roughly 37 degrees celsius, water boils at 100.

Given that liquid water can't exist in a vacuum and appears to be exceedingly rare in the universe why would we expect otherworldy beings to be water based? There are many elements on the periodic table that dont like water at all and will

when put into water. If if one of these being happened to be comprised largely of an alkali metal I would say that water would be an excellent weapon. Since, in the movie, the aliens were able to touch people without instantly scalding them they'd have to be based in something like potassium. Liquid lithiuim and sodium are too hot to touch and cesium and francium go boom (not fire, big boom) when wet. A potassium based being could have in internal body temp of 145. Their external temp would obvioulsy have to be lower since they did have a solid skin. Assuming 10 degrees (135 external) that creature could hold a person's bare skin for 15 seconds without burning them. Clothing would add to that time.

Given that, you'd have to wonder why they'd choose a planet that is 2/3 covered by the stuff and has vaporized water in the atmosphere. Water vapor alone would be highly corrosive to them. But hey, if you've got the intergalactic munchies and are stuck this far out in the boonies of the universe you take what you can get.

Given all of that, dude, it's a movie.