Falcons sign #3 pick for more than #1

:rolleyes:

If this doesn't lead to a pre-negotiated contract for every draft position nothing will. In the past it's always been a modest increase from what the same pick number got last year. Well so much for that. The thing they did screw up royally for themselves is the amount of money left in their rookie draft pool. Another one of their draft picks is going to get screwed. This not only makes things harder for every other team to sign their first round pick but also made it harder for the Falcons to sign every other pick they made.

Basically, incredible stupidity on every level.

:rolleyes:

If this doesn't lead to a pre-negotiated contract for every draft position nothing will. In the past it's always been a modest increase from what the same pick number got last year. Well so much for that. The thing they did screw up royally for themselves is the amount of money left in their rookie draft pool. Another one of their draft picks is going to get screwed. This not only makes things harder for every other team to sign their first round pick but also made it harder for the Falcons to sign every other pick they made.

Basically, incredible stupidity on every level.

I think we are about to see a MAJOR CHANGE in the Rookie $$ pool. My understanding is by cutting short the agreement with the players union, the new contract will call for a MUCH lower limit of $$ to be paid to Rookies.

I think we are about to see a MAJOR CHANGE in the Rookie $$ pool. My understanding is by cutting short the agreement with the players union, the new contract will call for a MUCH lower limit of $$ to be paid to Rookies.

Good grief...I sure hope so. Pretty fuggin stupid to have guys who have never set foot on an NFL field be among the most highly paid in the league.

If you look at the guaranteed money (the only number that really matters on current contracts), he only got 2 mil more than Jamarcus Russell did. I dont think the contract is that out of whack, seeing how he is a QB and theres not much difference between #1 and #3.

Atlanta realizes that a good deal of the money will go into the uncapped year and is taking advantage of it. You better believer $nyder, Jones, etc are licking at chops to go uncapped for even one year.

Nice try, but wrong. There are so many limits on both the players and the teams that the uncapped year was justed as a threat to force the 2 sides to the negotiating table. There are limits on the number of free agents playoff teams can sign, each team gets more tags, players cant become free agents until after 6 years instead of 4. An uncapped year would actually limit the amoutn of player movement we'd see.

If you look at the guaranteed money (the only number that really matters on current contracts), he only got 2 mil more than Jamarcus Russell did. I dont think the contract is that out of whack, seeing how he is a QB and theres not much difference between #1 and #3.

That and what's not reported is that Mike Vick agreed to write a check back to the Falcons and pay half of the new guy's salary.

Nice try, but wrong. There are so many limits on both the players and the teams that the uncapped year was justed as a threat to force the 2 sides to the negotiating table. There are limits on the number of free agents playoff teams can sign, each team gets more tags, players cant become free agents until after 6 years instead of 4. An uncapped year would actually limit the amoutn of player movement we'd see.

You're kind of ignoring the possibility of manipulating current (at the time) contracts. It might not benefit teams for the uncapped year, per se, but down the road after a new CBA is agreed upon there could be issues.

Is there anything in place that can stop contract re-negotiations in 2010? Theoretically, say Jason Campbell is due to make 3 million that year and the same amount in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Snyder offers to tear that deal up and offer him 10 million as a 2010 base salary, and 750K as a base for the next 3 seasons. Player gets what amounts to a massive signing bonus...cap hit down the line is made extremely minimal as a result.

An uncapped year is not good for small markets, no matter how it's spinned by fans and media.

You're kind of ignoring the possibility of manipulating current (at the time) contracts. It might not benefit teams for the uncapped year, per se, but down the road after a new CBA is agreed upon there could be issues.

Is there anything in place that can stop contract re-negotiations in 2010? Theoretically, say Jason Campbell is due to make 3 million that year and the same amount in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Snyder offers to tear that deal up and offer him 10 million as a 2010 base salary, and 750K as a base for the next 3 seasons. Player gets what amounts to a massive signing bonus...cap hit down the line is made extremely minimal as a result.

An uncapped year is not good for small markets, no matter how it's spinned by fans and media.

I agree that an uncapped year is no good for anyone involved. If the league actually gets to the point where we have an uncapped year, i think the salary cap is gone for good. Thats why i think the uncapped year is more of a threat or deadline to get things going.

But you are right in that the uncapped year itself isnt the problem, the problem is what happens to the NFL in 2011 and beyond after we hit the uncapped year.

But if you are very close to the cap as Red$ucks are and want to buy more very expensive toys this is only way you can get them without cutting much of the team. The Red$ucks are so close to the cap now they are doing the Butler thing mortgaging the future faster than cap is rising.

A buddy of mine just called me(Rams fan). He's not happy :lol:

I told him I that I could hear Longs agent already.....

"You were intending to pay us a money amount between the 1st pick & the 3rd pick. Why change your plans now?"

If the Rams can get Long to sign for less than the 1st pick then I see this as a potential good step(very small) towards fixing the ridiculous situation that exists with the high 1st round picks. At least it may change to be a little more based upon average money payed to position played.....and not strictly based upon position drafted compared to the previous year. The Dolphins actually helped by paying their Long less than last years #1 Russell.

The top 3 players drafted get paid based on where they were drafted, not by the position they play. (or at least they should). Teams try to make that arguement when signing a non-QB high draft pick. But its all bull.

Teams get to select whoever they want. If they chose a OT, then they obviously felt he was more important to their organization than a QB, and should be paid based on where they were selected.

The ONLY thing Long can say is that he signed a 5 year deal where Ryan signed a 6 year deal. But garenteed money is usually what its all about.

I do not like how they allow teams to sign the 1st overall player before they are actually drafted. The fins had more leverage than the other teams because, if a player didnt agree to the slightly less money than normal, there is a chance he could drop 3-4 slots in the draft costing him even more millions.

Your contract should not play any part of where you are drafted. Its screwed up how they have it now.

and if you want to go more in to it, his agent works for the same agency as some of the other top 5 picks. After long signed the deal, he actually thanked another players agent before his own. There was definatly some shaddy things going leading up to the draft, and I hope they work it out in the new labor deal.

Lol, the Falcons are going to suck for a long long time.

I have a strange feeling that the Falcons are being pretty smart...they are cutting ties to the past, and starting over...as bumbling as they may seem, I think Blank wants to do the right things. They may suck this year, but, IMO, they have skipped the temptation to try to add a few pieces, and think that they are a contender again. They have just jump started their rebuilding. Good move in my opinion.

As for paying Ryan too much, who is to say? Every year we go through this. The Falcons just want to insure that their franchise QB is on board from day one. If I was a Falcons fan, I would be happy with this development. Fug the rest of the league! Not that I care, because the Falcons are one of those 6 or 7 franchises in the NFL that I have absolutely no feelings for, either negative or positive. But lets face it, the franchise has been turned over on its' head from being a borderline playoff contender with a big name franchise player, to being a moribund team, that nobody wants to have anything to do with. They are not only rebuilding the team on the field, but in the court of their fan's opinion as well.