Which is the best organization in professional sports?

:censored::lol::worthy:

You guys seriously come up with the Red Wings and Braves as competition for the Cardinals? OMFG I am ROTFLMAO. These teams are sustained losers that get to the playoffs and get run by some upstart every single year.

The Cardinals get the job done and finish the deal. If they didn't have two of the top 10 pitchers in baseball out injured over this extended period, they might be going for their 5th straight tile and you guys say Braves and Red Wings?????? :D:lol::lol:

And I said the Cardinals were the best organization in sports I misspoke. I meant in the history of sports.

'Wings finish the deal... Don't they have 10 SC's or so? How many championships do the Cards have? Not that much more.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lakers in basketball, Steelers in football. Good, for the most part, over long periods of time. Braves SUCKED until Ted got there, so they're a more recent organization. I like what the Colts do, but we'll see what happens after Peyton leaves/retires. They could go back to suckitude.

It's the Buffalo Bills, of course. Just ask Promo.

I think the Bills are being run reasonably well these days. But if I were to vote for a best franchise, I'd pick the San Antonio Spurs. Consistent winner in a smallish market.

PTR

I think the Bills are being run reasonably well these days. But if I were to vote for a best franchise, I'd pick the San Antonio Spurs. Consistent winner in a smallish market.

PTR

As a fan of the Houston Rockets, I want to disagree w/ you, but you have to give credit where it's due. They run a model franchise in San Antonio.

PTR

I wouldn't exactly call it that small - San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US and the 37th largest media market in the US (which doesn't include Austin - about an hour away - but lots of Spurs stuff gets done here too). Its also the 28th largest Metropolitan area (while Austin is the 37th, again, where a respectable chunk of their support comes from)

I wouldn't exactly call it that small - San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US and the 37th largest media market in the US (which doesn't include Austin - about an hour away - but lots of Spurs stuff gets done here too). Its also the 28th largest Metropolitan area (while Austin is the 37th, again, where a respectable chunk of their support comes from)

Media market is the ultimate yardstick. SA isn't small, but it also ain't L.A., New York, or Chicago, or even Atlanta, Houston, or The Bay Area. Yet they manage to field a competitive team year after year.

PTR

Media market is the ultimate yardstick. SA isn't small, but it also ain't L.A., New York, or Chicago, or even Atlanta, Houston, or The Bay Area. Yet they manage to field a competitive team year after year.

PTR

Given the proximity to the Austin market as well, I think its not as small as you think.

Obviously I am biased...so I'll sugest the Red Sox. The ownership is first rate. John Henry is a muti-billionaire who believes in prudent investment- he hedges his bets - and reinvests in facility, draft and player development. Tom Werner is a Hollywood tv and movie mogul who understands value of stars and ceremony and Larry Lucchino is the baseball man. They are ably supported by a first rate GM in Theo Epstein. Jed Hoyer runs their draft- all 4!, count em 4 2005 first round picks ( Ellsbury, Hansen, Lowrie and Buchholz) are or have been on big club this season. Masterson and Bowden( 2006) loom not too distantly. Red Sox are rated 4th best Minor League prospects - not counting youngsters on the team now!

Fenway Park is a destination draw and is no longer just quaint but also increasingly more user friendly. The Red Sox currently have highest per seat price but the season is repeatedly sold out. This season they will break Indians record for consecutive sell outs- somewhere around 450 straight

Obviously I am biased...so I'll sugest the Red Sox. The ownership is first rate. John Henry is a muti-billionaire who believes in prudent investment- he hedges his bets - and reinvests in facility, draft and player development. Tom Werner is a Hollywood tv and movie mogul who understands value of stars and ceremony and Larry Lucchino is the baseball man. They are ably supported by a first rate GM in Theo Epstein. Jed Hoyer runs their draft- all 4!, count em 4 2005 first round picks ( Ellsbury, Hansen, Lowrie and Buchholz) are or have been on big club this season. Masterson and Bowden( 2006) loom not too distantly. Red Sox are rated 4th best Minor League prospects - not counting youngsters on the team now!

Fenway Park is a destination draw and is no longer just quaint but also increasingly more user friendly. The Red Sox currently have highest per seat price but the season is repeatedly sold out. This season they will break Indians record for consecutive sell outs- somewhere around 450 straight

I must applaud you. You made it through an entire Red Sox knob job without bashing the Yankee's :thumbsup:;):blink:

Given the proximity to the Austin market as well, I think its not as small as you think.

There are unofficial boundaries to markets. Of course SA draws from Austin, but Austin doesn't enter SA's official market count. Buffalo is a perfect example: Buffalo TV reaches Toronto. The stations are on Toronto cable. But when it comes to valuing a property, it's still just a Buffalo station, market #50-something-and-falling. The Bills draw from Toronto, Rochester, Syracuse, etc, but the math still says Buffalo = small market.

PTR