2009 Draft

I'm interested in 2 early trends from my munch of 2009 mock drafts:

1. We draft later. :thumbsup:

2. We draft DE, CB, LB, and TE. :blink:

Most mocks I've seen suggest that Fine wasn't the TE we were looking for (keep an eye on Brad Cottam, as he was available with our 3rd pick). Also they suggest that the Kelsay-Denney-Schobel-Ellis quartet ends on a sour note. The CB mockers are just plain wrong. Linebacker will end up being a strength as well, so won't be a first day pick either.

Names I see out there:

Ryan Purvis, TE, Boston College

Chase Coffman, TE, Mizzou

Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss

Michael Johnson, DE, GT

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

Astro

The Dude in my avatar FS William Moore :blink:

I did see William Moore on one mock draft, and he's certainly Day 1 (likely Round 1) material.

I suppose this will depend on our Safeties this season as to whether they need Day 1 safeties.

With the 32nd pick in the draft, the Buffalo bills select http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/m...ack_alex03.html.

Fowler is on the last year of his contract (I think) and Mack is the top prospect at C. And unlike this year, theres a center actually worth a high pick.

I think Mack was more the reason Justin Forsett was even drafted this year. It wasn't Forsett, IMO.

Mack would be an answer to a position the Bills haven't gotten right since 1986. Hull played 11 years, 121 games-- 8 winning seasons with Hull at Center. Could be the same with Mack.

A top TE from the draft is definitely one point of separation between us and the best teams in the league.

The problem with opening the subject now is that the same idiots who demanded pre-draft this year that we reach for a WR with the 11 pick will be on some other bonehead bandwagon because they simply can't grasp the clear patterns the best teams use to get to and stay on top.

Most mocks I've seen suggest that Fine wasn't the TE we were looking for

You might as well have said, "Most fortune tellers I have seen say that Fine wasn't the TE we were looking for."

Internet mock drafts are a dime a dozen. Maybe Fine will succeed, maybe not- but to suggest that it may happen based on the "mock drafts" is kind of putting too much faith in the power of having a website.

With the 32nd pick in the draft, the Buffalo bills select http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/m...ack_alex03.html.

Fowler is on the last year of his contract (I think) and Mack is the top prospect at C. And unlike this year, theres a center actually worth a high pick.

He blocked for Lynch as well? I say heck yeah, draft him in the first round.

You might as well have said, "Most fortune tellers I have seen say that Fine wasn't the TE we were looking for."

Internet mock drafts are a dime a dozen. Maybe Fine will succeed, maybe not- but to suggest that it may happen based on the "mock drafts" is kind of putting too much faith in the power of having a website.

Across the board, 2008 Mock Drafts proved no more reliable than 50% of know-nothings on this board insisting on a WR with our first pick. On the other hand, teams did a whole heck-of-a-lot better than media/fans because they pay attention to things like the track record of positions, the draft strategy of opponents, etc. Not a single NFL team was stupid enough to draft a 2nd round quality WR with their first pick.

The nearly total disconnect between the idiots who write up mock drafts and the not-so-confusing draft day actions of the best organizations in the league offer some easy rules to follow. Among those is to pull the lever if you have quality at TE on your draft board at the top of the draft. There's other rules- like the 20% differential of the best teams that favors drafting Defense over Offense in the first two rounds. Much of this is easy enough to see, but apparently the mock draft folks are as inept as casual fans in putting 2+2 together when it comes to the way a good organization handles themselves on day one and beyond.

I'm interested in 2 early trends from my munch of 2009 mock drafts:

1. We draft later. :thumbsup:

Most mocks I've seen suggest that Fine wasn't the TE we were looking for (keep an eye on Brad Cottam, as he was available with our 3rd pick). Also they suggest that the Kelsay-Denney-Schobel-Ellis quartet ends on a sour note. The CB mockers are just plain wrong. Linebacker will end up being a strength as well, so won't be a first day pick either.

Names I see out there:

Ryan Purvis, TE, Boston College

Chase Coffman, TE, Mizzou

Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss

Michael Johnson, DE, GT

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

Astro

Depending on how his season goes, I would take Travis Beckum with a late 1st round pick, after what I have read on him and seen of him.

He was a finalist for the Mackey Award, which is for the nations best tight-end.

Trust the Mayock. He said he didn't have a first round grade on any receiver in the draft.

Mayock is as good as you get on the media side- but many of the mocks still showed that clearly the class of WRs was poor this year at the top. It was hardly a secret that it would have been throwing a pick away to draft a WR at 11, but the record of those who were "insisting" on it as a "need" pick on this board is comprehensive. It's typical- the most reasonable voices drowned out by the hysterical.

I thought this was supposed to be about the 2009 draft, not a bunch of posts from people who want to say "I told you so" even though they didn't. Anyway, I think the Bills are finally in a position where they can draft like those better teams and take the best players available at both the OL, DL, LB and TE positions. I would not be surprised if the Bills drafted a top DE with their first round pick last year. I think Ellis and Schobel will be the starters by the fifth week of the season, and while they are good we need another DE in that rotation who is better than Denney and Kelsay. They can get one next year.

I also would not be shocked if the Bills tried to get a C in the first round, provided we aren't drafting too early again. We need a better option at C than Melvin Fowler and next year has a couple of good prospects that can come in right away and replace him. We have had a hell of a time replacing KH.

And lastly, I was one of those folks who thought that a WR would have been a fine pick in the first round. I didn't say there weren't other options, but I wouldn't have been unhappy with such a selection. Certain people on this board seem to think that every draft pick should be OL or DL and that the rest of the positions don't matter. The fact is, if you draft only the best linemen, and have no skill players behind them, your team is still going to suck. You have to also draft good skill players. That being said, I was happy with the Bills' draft this year, and look forward to a more line-focused draft next year, as those will be the positions we likely will need to bolster.