Kawika Mitchell best FA pickup?

Kid languished at Mike backer in KC and still picked up over 100 tackles his last two years, before moving to weak side still and tore it up for Giants last year with 76 total tackles, 71% of those unassisted? Even in Ellison's most productive year (2006) he only registered 51% unassisted tackles. Weak side LB is crucial in pas rush as well and I think Mitchell will help our D up front as much (if not more) than 99 this year......thoughts? :lol:

If he earns a starting spot, the defense will be substantially upgraded. To say nothing of the anticipated upgrades in the front four. A healthy Poz, Whitner in his third season and worthy contributions from McKelvin are necessary to achieve our lofty playoff aspirations.

Much hope! :lol:

Kid languished at Mike backer in KC and still picked up over 100 tackles his last two years, before moving to weak side still and tore it up for Giants last year with 76 total tackles, 71% of those unassisted? Even in Ellison's most productive year (2006) he only registered 51% unassisted tackles. Weak side LB is crucial in pas rush as well and I think Mitchell will help our D up front as much (if not more) than 99 this year......thoughts? :lol:

For the $$ we paid him, he could be a bargain.

big thing for me is he can play runs to the weak side straight up. he can jam a lead blocker, he can just come at the runner even and manhandle him.

our little munchkin wlb's had to run ahead of the backer and cut his legs to make the tackle, and could never take on a block with positive effect. they were just physically outmatched.

kavika not being a liablity in coverage is big too. it means we can do the same type of stuff we like to without giving him massive help, all while having a much bigger and more physical front 7.

If? I think his name has been penned-in on the depth chart as the starter. Same for Stroud.

Stroud is understandable. I'm not raggin' on Mitchell, it's just wise to see if he earns it. He was effective at OLB with other great players around him, but not a pro-bowler. Thus the reasonable contract to prove himself. Ellison is serviceable/effective as well. May the best man win!

Mitchell is much more stout vs. the run and a legit threat on the blitz. I was getting pretty sick of 225-230 LBers. They just don't cut it with all the physical RB's nowadays.

Also, I hope Mitchell can bring the swagger from that NYGiants defense to this defense. This defense at this team does not have natural leaders and hope Mitchell and Stroud can make that contribution.

Sounds random, but I met Michael Strahan this week for work and asked him about Mitchell. He said Buffalo picked up a good player in him. Described in detail one play Mitchell had against the Pats when he sacked Brady and said he was very athletic.

Regardless, he's an upgrade over Ellison.

The most impressive thing about Mitchell is his size. Hes a big dude for a LBer. He's very athletic aswell. I remember him very well last year when the Bills played the Giants and he was all over the place. I actually got sick of seeing him on the field.

Mitchell has been a good linebacker for quite some time. He didn't "languish" in KC on the inside. He played pretty well inside and he plays really well on the outside. He's got good size (6' 1" 250+) and moves extremely well for that size. He's good against the run and he shows a knack for getting to the QB in blitz situations. All that and he's a decent cover linebacker as well. All in all, he's a good linebacker that takes nothing off the table which is what we need. He's not a superstar. He never was and he probably never will be. He's a good all around player and a great pickup for us.