Weather babe files sexual harassment suit against coanchor

Pete

agreed. especially with severe weather. When there are active hurricanes in the atlantic/gulf, the weather channel is on all the time at my place. (it also helps that my girlfriend is a meteorologist)

I knew there was a reason I liked you! :devil: FSU grad? I work with several at my office. Is she working in the field?

I knew there was a reason I liked you! :devil: FSU grad? I work with several at my office. Is she working in the field?

yah shes an FSU grad. right now, shes looking for something until i can get the hell out of here in less than a year.

You know, the first time I saw this thread, I was wondering what that SOB Jim Cantore had done now. :rolleyes:

Jim Cantore has one of my dream jobs. Wherever the bad weather is- he reports from it, on the scene. Perks include weatherbabes. I would love Cantore or Russ Brandon's job!

Serious question - What do meteorologists do besides read reports from the National Weather Service? Do local meteorologists do any work at all to produce your local forcast, or are they just glorified teleprompter readers?

The reason I ask is that on numerous occasions here in RI and when I lived in NYC, when the local weather people completely screwed up (which was often), the first thing they would do is blame erroneous reports from the NWS.

I remember back in around 2001 or so THE STORM OF THE CENTURY was coming to NYC and its all those idiots talked about for 2 weeks. The entire metro area shut down for a day in anticipation of a humongous storm and you couldn't find anything on grocery store shelves.

When the day came, we got less than an inch of snow. They got it 100% wrong and cost the city and people millions because of the hype. What was their excuse? The National Weather Service models were incorrect. Pathetic. What other job can you completely screw up at and then have the excuse "Well, thats the weather for ya!"

So what the hell do you have to go to school for if you are just reading what someone else is spitting out?

RTB

Serious question - What do meteorologists do besides read reports from the National Weather Service? Do local meteorologists do any work at all to produce your local forcast, or are they just glorified teleprompter readers?

The reason I ask is that on numerous occasions here in RI and when I lived in NYC, when the local weather people completely screwed up (which was often), the first thing they would do is blame erroneous reports from the NWS.

I remember back in around 2001 or so THE STORM OF THE CENTURY was coming to NYC and its all those idiots talked about for 2 weeks. The entire metro area shut down for a day in anticipation of a humongous storm and you couldn't find anything on grocery store shelves.

When the day came, we got less than an inch of snow. They got it 100% wrong and cost the city and people millions because of the hype. What was their excuse? The National Weather Service models were incorrect. Pathetic. What other job can you completely screw up at and then have the excuse "Well, thats the weather for ya!"

So what the hell do you have to go to school for if you are just reading what someone else is spitting out?

RTB

Now apply the same thing to Global Warming...

RTB

what kind of meteorologists are you talking about? i'll assume that you are talking about jim jones that does the weather on the local 6pm news. from what the girlfriend has told me, they all get forecast models and such that the NWS issues and the basically interpret them and come up with a weather forecast. you dont need a degree to do that. pass the test and you can get a job as a weatherman. you just need a little bit of ability and a lot of "TV market appeal."

RTB

In some areas I've found the local guys seem to be more accurate than the national broadcasts, and in others it seems that the national guys have a better handle on the weather systems than the local guys do. Purely perception, of course - but it just seems that way to me. For the longest time it seemed the local guys in WNY had a better handle on the lake effect snow machine than the TWC guys did.

I do remember when we lived in Orlando and Hurricane Charley was coming up Florida's east coast, and nearly every meteorologist had forecast had the storm making landfall in Tampa, but one of the local guys in Orlando broke with his updated forecast track, saying it was going to turn early before making it to Tampa and make landfall south of Tampa and pass over Orlando. In that case he got it right and gave us in Orlando a fighting chance to get home and get ready or get to shelters.

what kind of meteorologists are you talking about? i'll assume that you are talking about jim jones that does the weather on the local 6pm news. from what the girlfriend has told me, they all get forecast models and such that the NWS issues and the basically interpret them and come up with a weather forecast. you dont need a degree to do that. pass the test and you can get a job as a weatherman. you just need a little bit of ability and a lot of "TV market appeal."

I think that's the difference between the OCM (on-camera meteorologist) and the "weather anchor" like Kevin O'Connell on WGRZ - good on camera but not formally trained/educated in meteorology.

Never understood this logic. If you are single, there is no better place to meet women than at work. Of course you might want to avoid banging your direct subordinate, but otherwise I always found work to be a target rich environment.

I read an article about sexual harassment in the work place written by a woman. She stated that her husband had asked her to dinner at least three times before she agreed. Today that would be considered sexual harassment.

I find the strangest part being that people actually watch TWC long enough to know the personalities. Once they flash the 5-7 day forecast for your area, what else do you need to know?

I was thinking the same thing. In Rochester R News has weather on the 9's.

Now apply the same thing to Global Warming...

You're one of the last holdouts on that. Even the Republican's have come around to it.