Jay Cutler has Type 1 Diabetes

Type 1 is much worse than 2. At least with 2 you can cut back on the donuts and get some exercise and try to control it, but with 1 you're screwed.

I wouldn't say he is screwed. I have had it for 20 years and was very active in sports through high school and have continued a (somewhat) active life with surfing and other outdoor sports in my adult years. It would suck to get it that old and to have sports be your livelihood because it takes time to learn to regulate it and no matter how hard you try to control it, you will have some highs and lows. He may want to look into getting a pump.

I wouldn't say he is screwed. I have had it for 20 years and was very active in sports through high school and have continued a (somewhat) active life with surfing and other outdoor sports in my adult years. It would suck to get it that old and to have sports be your livelihood because it takes time to learn to regulate it and no matter how hard you try to control it, you will have some highs and lows. He may want to look into getting a pump.

Curious about how the pump would work for someone involved in a "high impact" sport like football. My understanding was that you pretty much had to wear it continuously, and I'm not sure that would be very safe to have on during a game filled with such violent collisions.

In any event, I wish him all good luck in dealing with this while continuing his career, both for himself, and to serve as a model for others dealing with diabetes, especially kids.

GO BILLS!

Curious about how the pump would work for someone involved in a "high impact" sport like football. My understanding was that you pretty much had to wear it continuously, and I'm not sure that would be very safe to have on during a game filled with such violent collisions.

In any event, I wish him all good luck in dealing with this while continuing his career, both for himself, and to serve as a model for others dealing with diabetes, especially kids.

GO BILLS!

I am a Type II. The key is constant monitoring. Most of the health teams within football organizations have a real good handle on it. I'm sure the Broncos have a great health team. It's way unusual for someone to be diagnosed with Type 1 this late in life. But it's possible. I think his athletic lifestyle probably masked the symptoms. I just hope this isn't a case of being diagnosed really late as opposed to recently developing the disease.

The pump is just a way to deliver insulin boluses on demand. He doesn't need to (and probably shouldn't) wear one during a game. They just need to monitor his BGs during defensive series.

C

I know Adam Morrison has it... I remember when he played basketball for Gonzaga he would inject himself with insulin during games if he thought he needed... not sure what he does now that hes in the NBA... I imagine Cutler probably does the same thing. Most people with type 1 have a pretty good handle on it and no how to make it work, but yah, it is really rare to develop it this late in life

yeah, is that an exhaustive list? not entirely high profile.

I'm sure the list is far from exhaustive, but it includes a hockey HOFer, a NPOY college basketball player, and a 5 time Olympic gold medalist. How high profile are you looking for?

Where's Tedy Bruschi when you need him. C'mon Tedy, stop being so stingy with the healing...

Tedy sent a vial of his super-insulin-producing blood to Jay...expect a miracle report henceforth.

As a father of two children with Type 1 diabetes and a board member of the local chapter of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. It is possible to get Type 1 up to the age of 40. Being a Type 1 diabetic is not as bad as it used to be, they have better and more accurate blood glucose monitors and the newer long acting insulins like Lantus and Levimer allow diabetics to lead a more normal life with only taking shots of the fast acting insulin when they need to eat. The insulin pump is another device that helps better manage blood glucose levels but these can't be worn during sporting events. Jay should be just fine with the help of his endocronologist and the team doctors.

high profile = pros people know about today.

the HOF hockey player would fit that bill a few decades ago, and the other names are fine, but i figured there'd be more of them

As a father of two children with Type 1 diabetes and a board member of the local chapter of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. It is possible to get Type 1 up to the age of 40. Being a Type 1 diabetic is not as bad as it used to be, they have better and more accurate blood glucose monitors and the newer long acting insulins like Lantus and Levimer allow diabetics to lead a more normal life with only taking shots of the fast acting insulin when they need to eat. The insulin pump is another device that helps better manage blood glucose levels but these can't be worn during sporting events. Jay should be just fine with the help of his endocronologist and the team doctors.

Hell of a first post sir. Nice. Welcome aboard!! :wallbash:

high profile = pros people know about today.

the HOF hockey player would fit that bill a few decades ago, and the other names are fine, but i figured there'd be more of them

Ron Santo is another one. Most people know him as the Cubs' broadcaster, but he was a terrific third baseman for some pretty wretched Cubs teams in the 60s.

Santo no longer has his legs because of the diabetes...and he's had the disease since his teen years. He wasn't supposed to live past 45. Santo is now 68.

If you've never seen the terrific documentary about him called This Old Cub, I highly recommend it. It's yet another reason to root for the guys on Chicago's North Side.

Thank you for one of the few intelligent posts on this serious topic. I hope your children live long, healthy lives.

Great post sir! The Buffalo story I know of an athlete who found out about, managed his diabetes and then exceled as a pro is former Buffalo Bison and then longtime MLB player Dave Hollins. He used to work out at Body Blocks downtown when he was in town with the Bisons (I think he was from Orchard Park originally) on his trips up and down to the MLB.

His trainer, Bob Bateson (an accomplished college LB with Corltland St. who got brief tryouts with the Bills, Dolphins, etc and was a player a couple of years in NFL Europe) worked with him in his up and down days and like many workouts it was the usual struggle. Bob had to go to the airport and wrestle Hollins off a plane when he got word of an incredibly high blood sugar.

The great thing is that Hollins became a better and more accomplished athlete after his diagnosis. One they knew what was going on and could manage it through Hollins taking his blood sugar more consistently and learning how particular sugar levels felt so he could stabilize them while working out like a demon, Hollins got things under control.

Like many MLB players he bounced around, but was able to hit over .300 on a somewhat consistent basis and maintained a journeyman MLB career for at least 5 years after diagnosis. He was good enough that he was able to catch on fairly consistently with Cleveland and Toronto which allowed him to maintain a close relationship with Body Block and Bob as the place he worked out (either traveling to Buffalo from 2-3 hours away when his schedule allowed or even more consistently when he ended up at Cleveland's AAA Bison franchise when he was in th minors or on rehab.

He certainly demonstrated to me that it is certainly doable to operate as a professional athlete (even with the instability of the typical journeyman status as it is incredibly rare for an athlete to stay with one team throughout their career and it is not rare at all for a player to maintain a career by playing for multiple teams.

In the end, none of us gets out of this life alive. However, thanks to increased knowledge, modern medicine, and most important diligent efforts by the diabetes "victim" this disease though critically in need of a cure is not a death sentence for a person, or even a condemnation to a life without sports.