125 places to have a beer before you die....

102. McSorley’s Ale House, New York, NY

Great place.

Light or Dark?????

Best time I ever had there was after a cops funeral. Crying, drinking, pissing, eventually puking. I don't think any of us in the place paid for a drink the entire day/night.

Love that place. Lots of stories there.

Do you realize women were not allowed in there until the early 80s. And even then, it was a very big deal.

Next time you are in there, check out the chandelier light hanging above the bar. Its one of those lights that has a center light hanging down, two chains hanging off it, connected to two additional lights. Kinda like an upside down trident with chains connection the points. On the chains are wishbones covered with inches of dust. On day I was there in the afternoon, the current owner was there and I asked him about the bones. He claimed that they were put there after a going away party by soldiers for World War I. When the soldiers cam home, they took off a bone. The bones left there are for the soldiers who never made it back. True or not, a pretty cool story.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that place. Lots of stories there.

Do you realize women were not allowed in there until the early 80s. And even then, it was a very big deal.

Are you sure about that? A friend of mine's mom always talks about hanging out there in her younger years, and how they didn't have a women's bathroom. Maybe that was how they "disallowed" women....

Anyway, the first time I went there, this big group was sitting at the table next to us, eating and getting pretty toasted. Then, all of a sudden, the giant wooden table went flying (mostly on us), and these two dudes were brawling. Now, I'm sure thats not unusual at most bars, but at McSorley's, the dude who won the fight got to stay, and the one who lost got booted.

Are you sure about that? A friend of mine's mom always talks about hanging out there in her younger years, and how they didn't have a women's bathroom. Maybe that was how they "disallowed" women....

Anyway, the first time I went there, this big group was sitting at the table next to us, eating and getting pretty toasted. Then, all of a sudden, the giant wooden table went flying (mostly on us), and these two dudes were brawling. Now, I'm sure thats not unusual at most bars, but at McSorley's, the dude who won the fight got to stay, and the one who lost got booted.

Just did some net research...they were forced toa dmit women in 1970, not the early 80s. Apologies for the error.

Dogfish Head brewery . Have not been to DE, but have been to the one in Falls Church VA. (Ale house pub)Very good beer .A good friend of ours built the brewery in DE .

For the people around Saratoga area _ YOU have to stop at The Local Pub and Tea House on the corner of Beekman and Grand . They have had Dogfish on tap . They may have it on tap may 17 .

What is going on in Saratoga that weekend? I live in the metropolitan area now but I am going back up there for a wedding on the 16th.

And I love the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. There is a place (the only place as far as I know) here in Hoboken NJ that has it on tap and it is always a treat to stop by there and have 1 maybe 6 of them

What is going on in Saratoga that weekend? I live in the metropolitan area now but I am going back up there for a wedding on the 16th.

And I love the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. There is a place (the only place as far as I know) here in Hoboken NJ that has it on tap and it is always a treat to stop by there and have 1 maybe 6 of them

Nothing . My son Matt might be coming home that weekend . Mike at the bar wants me to remind him the week before so he can order it in . Let me know and the wife will stop up if you stop .

What's wrong with the Sunset Bar & Grill in Boston? Tons of beers and good food, nothing wrong with that IMHO.

There is nothing wrong with it, but it is one of thousands of similar bars across america. Lots of beers on tap, young college kids all around, bar food etc - just doesn't stick out in my mind.

Just did some net research...they were forced toa dmit women in 1970, not the early 80s. Apologies for the error.

I can confirm that without the research. I grew up about 10 blocks from McSorleys and used to go there frequently starting around the spring of 73 when I was in my senior year of HS No lines, no tourists, sometimes crowded but usually not. They had just begun admitting women but still with only one bathroom. The ladies used the toilet and the men used the urinals. (If you have to take a zhit at a bar you are a goober) I did not know the story behind the wishbones but I remember them. The bartender was a big Irish redheaded guy named Peter Farnan. I knew Peter because he was about 3 years ahead of me in HS (Stuyvesant) and his younger sister was the first girl I ever kissed years earlier when we wer in grade school. Good times.

Walt Whitman :lol: Nice reference!

I cannot stop saying "I" when I try and articulate my position. It is something I try and work on- that is stop saying "I" so much. I also try and work on not posting exclamation points- which I also find easy to do on a message board. I felt defensive when I heard an "Atlas Shrugged" comment in my direction and just did not get it- and would love to hear Cincy explain. Cincy- I think you are a very intelligent man and appreciate your perspective. And I am a big fan of Ayn Rand- and just wanted to see you relate that book to this thread

and like I stated- I aspire to be very humble. I am smart enough to know that I am not that smart, and I am not all that

My words were untoward, Pete. I apologize for my rash harshness.

That place is a hoot!

I just scanned the list, but didn't see McSorley's in NYC. Clearly that belongs on any beer list.

McSorley's is #102. I went there for the first time last August.... GREAT place! I'll be back on August 1st.

The Growler List: 125 Places to Have a Beer Before You Die

3. U Fleku, Prague, Czech Republic

12. The Brickskeller, Washington, DC

13. Rick’s Café, Negril, Jamaica

14. The Market Porter, Stoney Street, London, England

15. Cat’s Eye Pub, Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD

30. The Olde Mitre Tavern, Ely Court, Hatton Garden, London, England

43. Clark Street Ale House, Chicago, IL

44. Tailgating at a Southeastern Conference Football Game

51. The White Horse Pub, Parsons Green, London, England

60. Sierra Nevada Brewing, Chico, CA

72. Au General Lafayette, Paris, France

76. City Tavern, Philadelphia, PA

77. Die Weisse, Salzburg, Austria

84. Goose Island Brewing, Chicago, IL

100. Steamworks Brewing, Vancouver, BC

105. The Church Brew Works, Pittsburgh, PA

114. The Dubliner, Washington, DC

116. Anchor Bar, Buffalo, NY

121. Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington, DC

This my list of attended bars. I would argue however that the Old Ebbit and The Dubliner would not be on my list, but maybe thats because I have been to those places so many times really not special to me.

On the flip side, their were two bars in there in on my honeymoon 13 years ago, and in fact the only souvenir I have lef from that trip is 4 halk pint glasses from the U Fleku in Prague, and I still use them quite often.

I am quite surprised myself that I have not been to McSorleys. In the city quite often, yet I have never been. Kinda odd