Another CB !!? with the 4th pick... WHY!!

BILLS #1

I NEVER said that corners weren't important. I was just telling you what the people who were trying to downplay Clements leaving were saying. However, two corners this high, with William James signed, seems like a bit of overkill. What about some O-Line depth? a TE? a FB?

Agreed. I have absolutely nothing against the guy they picked, but they need a lot of help offensively, and while a 3rd-7th rounder won't immediately start, they certainly won't 2-3 years down the line if you don't draft them at all!

This is what frustrates me about it. A guy picked this late probably won't start this year, but the Bills are giving themselves NO options 2-3 years down the road, either, by ignoring these positions.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I have absolutely nothing against the guy they picked, but they need a lot of help offensively, and while a 3rd-7th rounder won't immediately start, they certainly won't 2-3 years down the line if you don't draft them at all!

This is what frustrates me about it. A guy picked this late probably won't start this year, but the Bills are giving themselves NO options 2-3 years down the road, either, by ignoring these positions.

I am frustrated as well. After the end of last season, we kept saying 'wait for FA' which came and went by without any additions to offense. Then we said 'wait for the draft'. Felt good after adding Hardy but then 'wait for 3rd round for a TE' ...... and so on and so forth. We have added one player to the offense and expect it to be better due to a rookie OC, more experienced existing players etc. Give me a break. We absolutely loaded up on D, continue to do so and expect people to rationalize the shortage of talent on O. The only way this offseason can be salvaged if we trade future picks for an established TE

You don't fill needs on day 2. You take the best player on your board. You fill needs & the TE or C you take busts in training camp. You have to stick with the board and if a guy sticks out on your board, you trade up & get him rather than waiting your turn. Day 2 is a total crapshoot & you never pick by position this late-that's why you pay your scouts & don't go on the internet to find out who the fans want. Anyone who is criticizing a 4th round pick or lower is being ridiculous.

So when do we get a pass receiving TE then?

With this logic we could be drafting 5 more CB's before the draft is over, but at least they will be the best player availiable.

The only thing I can figure is that they know Mckelvin will be gone in 4 to 5 years. So they groom this guy in that time and get him to resign cheap because he won''t have that much playing time in.

I am frustrated as well. After the end of last season, we kept saying 'wait for FA' which came and went by without any additions to offense. Then we said 'wait for the draft'. Felt good after adding Hardy but then 'wait for 3rd round for a TE' ...... and so on and so forth. We have added one player to the offense and expect it to be better due to a rookie OC, more experienced existing players etc. Give me a break. We absolutely loaded up on D, continue to do so and expect people to rationalize the shortage of talent on O. The only way this offseason can be salvaged if we trade future picks for an established TE

I don't love the Corner, Corner pick but why is it so hard to understand that they just didn't feel any of the TE's there were very good? When did this become the most important position on offense? When you have a good pair of WR's (assuming Hardy can play), a good RB, and a decent OL (in pass-protection anyway) the lack of a TE isn't going to be the reason your offense sucks. Either Trent Edwards can start in this league or he can't - there is no sense in pretending that any other single factor is as remotely important as it relates to how good/bad our offense will be next year.

I don't love the Corner, Corner pick but why is it so hard to understand that they just didn't feel any of the TE's there were very good? When did this become the most important position on offense? When you have a good pair of WR's (assuming Hardy can play), a good RB, and a decent OL (in pass-protection anyway) the lack of a TE isn't going to be the reason your offense sucks.

:thumbsup:

I think most people here were looking for that Gates/Clark type of TE -- a tall pass-catcher -- and I'm sorry to say, but that guy wasn't in this draft...and maybe the Bills think Teyo Johnson can be that guy. There was, however, a 6'5 1/2" WR, and we got him.

11:33, Sunday, April 27th 2008:

Buffalo Bills War Room

One Bills Drive

Orchard Park, NY

Jauron: Mr. Wilson, we need to get our pick in, we have 45 seconds left - should we go with the center from Oklahoma, or do you want to look at another defensive back?

Ralph: Whad'ya say?

Jauron: Would you like a Center or a Corner?

Modrak: 30 Seconds...

Ralph: Center or what now, son?

Jauron: CORNER!

Modrak: 15 SECONDS!

Ralph: Coroner?

Jauron & Modrak: CORNER!!!

11:38 Radio City Music Hall

NFL 2008 Draft

NY, NY

Goodell: And with the 114th pick the Buffalo Bills select...

:thumbsup:

I don't love the Corner, Corner pick but why is it so hard to understand that they just didn't feel any of the TE's there were very good? When did this become the most important position on offense? When you have a good pair of WR's (assuming Hardy can play), a good RB, and a decent OL (in pass-protection anyway) the lack of a TE isn't going to be the reason your offense sucks. Either Trent Edwards can start in this league or he can't - there is no sense in pretending that any other single factor is as remotely important as it relates to how good/bad our offense will be next year.

Its just an awful lot of frustration built up over the last several years. I'm sick and tired of seeing this team lose because the offense, particularly the passing game, is a joke. Its like 'here we go again.' Hardy will help, no doubt, but I've seen them try to slap on a single token bandaid too many times in the past to be anything but skeptical. I like this draft as a whole, but just feel that overall, this team has not done enough offensively in the draft AND free agency to be competitive.

Its just an awful lot of frustration built up over the last several years. I'm sick and tired of seeing this team lose because the offense, particularly the passing game, is a joke. Its like 'here we go again.' Hardy will help, no doubt, but I've seen them try to slap on a single token bandaid too many times in the past to be anything but skeptical. I like this draft as a whole, but just feel that overall, this team has not done enough offensively in the draft AND free agency to be competitive.

Fair enough - I have been frustrated w/ the best of them. Again, I just feel QB play will determine the '08 season as much or more than any other I can remember.

It's a weird thing that happens when in-person football discussions get transferred to the internet: the "in crowd" on this board is exceptionally talented at convincing everyone that anybody who emphasizes QB as the most important position must be some inferior, short-sighted, 1st level thinking 12 year old child. It's like somehow the fact that we've had high turnover at that position is proof that each of them since '97 haven't all sucked and I don't agree with that reasoning.

If the defense is ok and Trent is ok, I don't see the lack of a 2nd or 3rd Gamebreaking receiving threat (which is a luxuary most playoff teams don't have) being the difference between 7 and 10 wins.

Well put man. It just feels like we're in for yet another year of 7-9 or 8-8 fun.

Fair enough - I have been frustrated w/ the best of them. Again, I just feel QB play will determine the '08 season as much or more than any other I can remember.

It's a weird thing that happens when in-person football discussions get transferred to the internet: the "in crowd" on this board is exceptionally talented at convincing everyone that anybody who emphasizes QB as the most important position must be some inferior, short-sighted, 1st level thinking 12 year old child. It's like somehow the fact that we've had high turnover at that position is proof that each of them since '97 haven't all sucked and I don't agree with that reasoning.

If the defense is ok and Trent is ok, I don't see the lack of a 2nd or 3rd Gamebreaking receiving threat (which is a luxuary most playoff teams don't have) being the difference between 7 and 10 wins.

Very good .

It must be good because I agree with it .

These people for the most part just rehash garbage they hear on espn or read in mock drafts.

They haven't even seen half these players in a game.

You don't fill needs on day 2. You take the best player on your board. You fill needs & the TE or C you take busts in training camp. You have to stick with the board and if a guy sticks out on your board, you trade up & get him rather than waiting your turn. Day 2 is a total crapshoot & you never pick by position this late-that's why you pay your scouts & don't go on the internet to find out who the fans want. Anyone who is criticizing a 4th round pick or lower is being ridiculous.

Amen :thumbsup:

This board cracks me up! I wonder how many are gonna jump off the falls because they are upset because our 7th round selection?