Raiders taking McFadden

H2o

RAIDERS TO TAKE MCFADDEN

Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2008, 12:45 p.m.

Well, the Chiefs are now on the clock.

Michael Smith of ESPN reports that the Oakland Raiders will select Arkansas running back Darren McFadden with the fourth overall pick in the draft.

The Raiders were able to make their decision because the Fins have signed Jake Long, and it’s being widely reported that the Rams will take Chris Long and the Falcons will select Matt Ryan at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.

So we’re actually a little bit ahead of where we would have been if the draft had started at noon.

The Chiefs are on the clock.

Kind of surprising because they just re-signed Fargas who had a breakout year and they still have Lamont Jordan....... for now. I think this means that they are going to dump Jordan, if this is really their selection. The guy is getting too much money to be 3rd on the depth chart. Don't be surprised if Oakland tries to trade him today.

RAIDERS TO TAKE MCFADDEN

Michael Smith of ESPN reports that the Oakland Raiders will select Arkansas running back Darren McFadden with the fourth overall pick in the draft.

The Raiders were able to make their decision because the Fins have signed Jake Long, and it’s being widely reported that the Rams will take Chris Long and the Falcons will select Matt Ryan at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.

So we’re actually a little bit ahead of where we would have been if the draft had started at noon.

Kind of surprising because they just re-signed Fargas who had a breakout year and they still have Lamont Jordan....... for now.

I think this means that they are going to dump Jordan, if this is really their selection. The guy is getting too much money to be 3rd on the depth chart. Don't be surprised if Oakland tries to trade him today.

This sounds like an Al Davis ploy. ESPN has also been reporting that Dallas is looking to move up to get McFadden and that Jerry Jones is willing to do a blockbuster trade to move up and get him. I would not be surprised if this was a posturing move by Davis to try and get Jones to make a major deal. With all the needs that Raiders team has, it only makes sense to move back and get a bunch of additional picks early in the draft. I suspect this is even more likely BECAUSE they just resigned Fargus to a significant extension.

I thought they'd pick Chris Long at #4, but since it appears he'll be off the board, McFadden probably makes the most sense. And believe me, after seeing most of his college games, I'm very, VERY glad that he probably won't be going to the Jets or Patriots.

Great. At this rate, the first round will be over by 3:00 pm...

Agreed. If all these reports pan out, then I think it'll be safe to say this is the first and last year we have an afternoon start (or should be the last year, at least).

RAIDERS TO TAKE MCFADDEN

Kind of surprising because they just re-signed Fargas who had a breakout year and they still have Lamont Jordan....... for now. I think this means that they are going to dump Jordan, if this is really their selection. The guy is getting too much money to be 3rd on the depth chart. Don't be surprised if Oakland tries to trade him today.

Al Davis is an idiot they also have Michael Bush who was going to be a high draft pick until he broke his leg last year. He should be able to go this year too. So they have Fartgas, Jordan and Bush but they're going to go for another RB?! They have greater needs to address than RB. How about a lineman to protect Russell and make the RB's they have more effective?

This sounds like an Al Davis ploy. ESPN has also been reporting that Dallas is looking to move up to get McFadden and that Jerry Jones is willing to do a blockbuster trade to move up and get him. I would not be surprised if this was a posturing move by Davis to try and get Jones to make a major deal. With all the needs that Raiders team has, it only makes sense to move back and get a bunch of additional picks early in the draft. I suspect this is even more likely BECAUSE they just resigned Fargus to a significant extension.

If Jones makes a trade with the Faders it will really surprise me. I read an interview with him stating that he had no intention of trading up for McFadden unless he fell outside the top ten because the money and draft picks were too costly.

I keep hearing the Rams have Dorsey at the top of their board and will take him

they could also trade with the Jets and possibly still get Long at 6 or Gholston if Long is gone

I think the Jets end up with McFadden

Al Davis is an idiot they also have Michael Bush who was going to be a high draft pick until he broke his leg last year. He should be able to go this year too. So they have Fartgas, Jordan and Bush but they're going to go for another RB?! They have greater needs to address than RB. How about a lineman to protect Russell and make the RB's they have more effective?

I don't know about those guys taking a lineman high in the draft. They seem to have the same luck as we do with such recent selections. Atleast we cut Mike Williams, they're still letting Gallery collect a paycheck.

Agreed. If all these reports pan out, then I think it'll be safe to say this is the first and last year we have an afternoon start (or should be the last year, at least).

Yeah, from an advertiser standpoint this can't be what the NFL was hoping for when it moved the start back to 3:00. I'd look for them to go back to a noon start next year and give teams an edict that only the number one pick can be negotiated early.

Well he is that stupid evidently. I don't see how they're going to keep all of those guys happy. I think Jordan is the odd man out unless Bush's leg isn't healed. The team now has a guy who became the starter last year and played really well in that role. So much so they gave him an extension in the offseason. They also have a guy who would have been a first round pick last year but for his broken leg which should be healed by now.

They should have taken Dorsey, Gholston or Ellis. Instead senile Al really effs up the draft for them by creating a logjam at RB that probably make three guys unhappy. Being able to keep the score low is a rookie QB's best friend. The should have gone DL IMO.

Dorsey will go #3.

Nice call nostradamus. I'll guess we'll file this with your other "predictions" from the past 2 drafts, like "Buffalo will trade a 4th to houston to get patrick willis" from 2007, and your "Marv Levy doesnt trade in the draft" from 2006.

Well he is that stupid evidently. I don't see how they're going to keep all of those guys happy. I think Jordan is the odd man out unless Bush's leg isn't healed. The team now has a guy who became the starter last year and played really well in that role. So much so they gave him an extension in the offseason. They also have a guy who would have been a first round pick last year but for his broken leg which should be healed by now.

They should have taken Dorsey, Gholston or Ellis. Instead senile Al really effs up the draft for them by creating a logjam at RB that probably make three guys unhappy. Being able to keep the score low is a rookie QB's best friend. The should have gone DL IMO.

Jordan was cut by the Raiders.

Nice call nostradamus. I'll guess we'll file this with your other "predictions" from the past 2 drafts, like "Buffalo will trade a 4th to houston to get patrick willis" from 2007, and your "Marv Levy doesnt trade in the draft" from 2006.

I can't help it that Atlanta screwed up their draft.

Atlanta wasted the #3 pick on a QB no better than Henne and Brohm who went at the end of the 2nd round.

you probably should add my call that there were no first round WRs in this draft and the Bills should not waste the #11 pick on one.