Since you all want to talk finances...

SDS

The problems that we have experienced over the years has always been because we share a computer with other people. We share a machine because that is cost-effective. Think of it as car-pooling - it is less convienient, but you split the costs.

Well, the problem with that setup is that if you consume too much resources from your server - then it unfairly affects other customers who pay their fair share.

This is what often happens to us. We consume too much processing power from the server at any one time and the hosting provider has no choice but to turn off the account.

How is this rectified? Get a 100% dedicated server where we are the only client. Then it is OUR machine to bring to it's knees. We get all the CPU cycles, all the disk space. However, this comes at a cost. A LARGE cost.

For just our basic hosting (not the software, domain names, contests, etc...), we pay $80/month.

With this same company, it would be $150/month for an UNMANAGED server (i.e. little to no support) or $220/month for a managed server.

So, apples to apples means we go from $80 to $220 - which is nearly triple the cost. Who here is ready to pony up $2640, plus domain names, contests, etc.... every single year? That compares to only $960 for what we have now.

Two years ago when I did a paypal drive, we got about $1200 which I consider a LOT of money (thanks to all of you who contributed). I stretched that for two years (ending this Sept. 1). We would need to raise almost 4 times that money in order get through another two years without another fundraiser.

Realistically, I do not see that happening at that contribution level. Unless we pulled in revenue from somewhere else....

That's the deal. Discuss amongst yourselves.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about an auction of Bills memorabilia at the tailgate, items similar or better than what we've seen at the prize givaways. I've got a Jim Kelly Wall of Fame day program (11/18/01) & a HOF Kelly bobble-head to bring to kick things off if we can get this going.

Two years ago when I did a paypal drive, we got about $1200 which I consider a LOT of money (thanks to all of you who contributed).  I stretched that for two years (ending this Sept. 1).  We would need to raise almost 4 times that money in order get through another two years without another fundraiser.

Realistically, I do not see that happening at that contribution level.

321[/snapback]

I don't know about that. It seems to me that there are a helluva lot more people in here now than there were 2 years ago.

I say give it a shot... I don't remember the last drive, but will gladly kick in now.

I don't know about that. It seems to me that there are a helluva lot more people in here now than there were 2 years ago. 

I say give it a shot... I don't remember the last drive, but will gladly kick in now.

335[/snapback]

Agree w/Rico there are a helluva lot more people 'round these parts since the last drive...Mebbe you could do the paypal thing,see where that puts you and then do auctions,raffles etc....

Just don't limit these to the folks at the tailgate...There are alot of us exiles that want to get in on the action...

To start things off.:

There are 4219 members, assume 1000 are active. Let all members be members and give them 10 or 20 free posts a month. Guests are generally just trolls. Let them look for free, but not post.

Have premium membership for $5 a year which gives unlimited posts and access to the server during periods of excess usage. [Know this is doable since the DSS hack boards were all set up that way]. Ask for but don't require a $10 (or $20) kick-off donation. I think you would have your $4K in a week.

All I ask is that you also get a good backup system.

[OK, Flame away]

I don't want to be a wet blanket because we need to have a fund raiser anyway - it was planned even before this week's events.

However, many want solutions to the problems that we have and the only solutions I have is to run leaner and meaner (we had 400k posts before - I may keep that at 50k now) or to raise 4x the money.

So, yes we will have a fund raiser and I hope everyone who enjoys the site AND has disposable funds available contributes. However, I am a realist when it comes to a sustainable, long term revenue stream.

I don't want to be a wet blanket because we need to have a fund raiser anyway - it was planned even before this week's events.

However, many want solutions to the problems that we have and the only solutions I have is to run leaner and meaner (we had 400k posts before - I may keep that at 50k now) or to raise 4x the money.

So, yes we will have a fund raiser and I hope everyone who enjoys the site AND has disposable funds available contributes. However, I am a realist when it comes to a sustainable, long term revenue stream.

363[/snapback]

Was/is it really database volume? The load was spiking with a practically empty database, wasn't it?

You could sell your body.  :devil:

329[/snapback]

There's not enough Sugar Mommas on the board for that to be worthwhile. Unless Deborah kicks in matching funds to keep Scott away from you ladies. Then it may be worth it for him to "offer his services".

So the devil is in the details of the monthly maintenance cost. I imagine the market for banner ads/click-throughs is a lot tighter than back when you were using them, Scott? And the drawbacks of pop-ups have already been discussed.

I know of at least one football board - chargerfans.net - that went to a $5/year "membership fee" to be able to post (just reading the board is still free). I think they make enough to pay the bills, but they also lost some pretty good posters who weren't interested in being forced to donate. And the chargerfans board is comparable to the "old" Wall - threaded, with very few bells and whistles... and a lot lower server load, I'd guess.

Rico has a point - even discounting all the multiple personalities infesting the PPP board, there are definitely more of us than there used to be. So do the Paypal donation thing again, but leave the button up permanently.

(I'm guessing you'd rather not do that. You have to get over that feeling; we know darn well you don't ask for money unless you absolutely need it to keep the site running. And maybe some people can't donate right now, but will be able to in a couple of months.) Possibly do like several other boards I've seen (BZ is the one I'm thinking of), and have different levels of "contributing members"? Not sure you want to go that direction, but it's something to consider.

I think Harv has a good idea, too - although it would need a little more planning than the current raffle setup for the tailgate, seems like an auction would bring in a lot more money. I've been wondering what to do with that extra pair of Miami tix I picked up; think I just found my answer.

Agree w/Rico there are a helluva lot more people 'round these parts since the last drive...Mebbe you could do the paypal thing,see where that puts you and then do auctions,raffles etc....

Just don't limit these to the folks at the tailgate...There are alot of us exiles that want to get in on the action...

358[/snapback]

Come up with a proposal on how to do the auctions, and we'll consider it. Raffles though will be for people only at the Tailgate.

Was/is it really database volume?  The load was spiking with a practically empty database, wasn't it?

370[/snapback]

good point.

the large dB didn't help. here is how I interpret what has been happening.

Something is tying up the database server for short periods of time. This is causing a traffic jam. A light dB has allowed the server to quickly recover. The big dB buried it.

So, much like the thruway - when everything is running well, you are flying. However, have a cop stop traffic for 2 minutes and all hell breaks loose and it takes awhile for traffic to recover.

However, I am a realist when it comes to a sustainable, long term revenue stream.

363[/snapback]

If you want sustainable, long-term revenue stream, the only ways are via advertising or membership fees which are renewed each month/year.

Paypal drives are nice, but you cannot count on consistent revenue.

What would the costs be to get a T1 into the house and run your own server? 

377[/snapback]

Just was quoted $800/month for T1 from Fiber that is already in the building. Not feasible.

Also are you sure that the recent problems were indicitive of load or just the DB starting to go breasts up? From what I remember historically overloads occured during times of breaking news.

Come up with a proposal on how to do the auctions, and we'll consider it. Raffles though will be for people only at the Tailgate.

376[/snapback]

I'm no genious by any stretch but why couldn't auction items be pinned from time to time ,with details on the items, end date etc.....

As far as a raffle why not list the items and have people paypal in....Assign them a ticket # throw them in a hat and there you go...Point being, why limit the revenue to only the people at hand...

There are a whole lot of smarter people on this board than myself...It can be done,I just threw an idea out there.

The membership idea is a good one too.

I have really grown to appreciate TBD and the enormity of the work that SDS and others do to provide Bills fans a forum for discussion. I was not around for the first paypal session but I'm standing up and wish to be counted in this next round. How about a combination of a "donation" program, see how much you collect and supplement the remainder with a consistent fundraiser of some sort, ie.(auction, possibly advertisements, sponsers - corporate and private, or beg, borrow and steal, of course from Dolphin fans).

If you can email me on how I can make a donation online that will be put toward our goal of our stand alone TBD server - I PLEDGE $100 dollars and I hope others will match me.

Thanks!!

How can somebody who wants this board to live NOT be be able to afford $5/year membership fee?

If it's true and there are 1000 consistent posters here, then that should be more than enough to cover the server costs for one year! Then everyone can renew the following year if they so choose.

Wouldn't this be the most feasible option right now?

Archived