Why Keep Losman?

San-O

Not really a "trade" guy, but why would the Bills keep J.P. given that:

1. He already said he wants to be traded and wants out.

2. His contract expires after this coming season, UFA?

3. He is not starter material (IMHO) and won't stay as a backup.

4. The Bills can get something for him now.

If the Bills were realistically going to make a deep playoff run, I could see it.

They're not, yet.

FYI: THIS IS NOT A LOSMAN vs EDWARDS DEBATE. The Bills already made that decision. This is a personell, trade value thing.

Are they waiting until after the draft and training camps?

That would mean if traded, it would probably be for a future pick?

Flame away.

;)

If Trent Edwards sprains his throwing wrist, breaks his throwing index finger, or better yet, gets hit by vince wilfork in the knees, you really want The Chroise hamdan leading this team againt the Pats trying to win a playoff spot? if there is a better backup/Starting QB available on the market without having to give up a draft pick, you tell me.

If Trent Edwards sprains his throwing wrist, breaks his throwing index finger, or better yet, gets hit by vince wilfork in the knees, you really want The Chroise hamdan leading this team againt the Pats trying to win a playoff spot? if there is a better backup/Starting QB available on the market without having to give up a draft pick, you tell me.

I can understand that. But doesn't that seem a high price to pay for a guy that cost two picks and most

likely won't stay after the season? Couldn't they sign an older vet. backup or something?

If Trent Edwards sprains his throwing wrist, breaks his throwing index finger, or better yet, gets hit by vince wilfork in the knees, you really want The Chroise hamdan leading this team againt the Pats trying to win a playoff spot?

he couldn't do any worse than Losman.

Don't buy the talk; Buffalo wants to trade Losman

"Contrary to a report out of Buffalo this week that quoted Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon as saying, “We anticipate (J.P. Losman) being on this team,” we hear that the Bills’ quarterback is very much on the trading block. Losman asked to be traded after last season following his demotion behind Trent Edwards, but thus far, the Bills haven’t received many inquiries from other teams.

Still, the Bills hold out hope that they can work out a deal for him either over draft weekend or shortly thereafter. “Russ was simply giving the party-line answer,” said a source close to Brandon. “He’s just covering his bases in the event they don’t get a reasonable offer.”

The general feeling is that a third- or fourth-round draft pick — either in next week’s draft if they get the deal done soon, or in the ’09 draft if it’s worked out later — is the least amount of compensation the Bills would be willing to accept. In the event Buffalo fails to see that kind of offer, Losman would remain with the club as the second-string passer rather than being cut.

The Bills don’t have any other legitimate QB option behind Edwards and Losman, and the pickings for veteran quarterbacks still on the market are slim. With Losman’s contract set to expire after the season, there’s virtually no chance he’ll be on the team in ’09."

Since Trent is a glove wearing china doll there is a pretty good chance this will happen.

What is he worth if we need a backup QB to come into the game, we only have Hamden or some veteran schmuck like Testaverde on the roster, and we're in the middle of a playoff hunt?

I think i'd rather have Testaverde quarterbackin' than Losman.

Not really a "trade" guy, but why would the Bills keep J.P. given that:

1. He already said he wants to be traded and wants out.

2. His contract expires after this coming season, UFA?

3. He is not starter material (IMHO) and won't stay as a backup.

4. The Bills can get something for him now.

If the Bills were realistically going to make a deep playoff run, I could see it.

They're not, yet.

FYI: THIS IS NOT A LOSMAN vs EDWARDS DEBATE. The Bills already made that decision. This is a personell, trade value thing.

Are they waiting until after the draft and training camps?

That would mean if traded, it would probably be for a future pick?

Flame away.

;)

maybe JP will realize hes either going to be a bad starter or a good backup, so he might as well stay here be a backup, keep downtown clean and be a team guy

A few things:

Do you think there are any substantially better choices out there for a BU? If the consensus was that there were, someone would have already picked them up (likely to compete for starting). The odds of Edwards playing every significant snap this yr are slim. Losman therefore has value for us THIS YR.

Contrary to what everyone says, even if Losman walks after this season (probable), we likely WILL rcv something for him. You get compensation for net FAs lost, so that IF Losman signs elsewhere & does well, we WILL get something for him, effectively perhaps as high as a 3rd rounder. So unless someone is offering a decent pick (3rd or better), I think it's prudent to hold onto him.

JP will play well for the Bills if he has to back up because his future career depends on it. If he has to come in, he's going to play his ass off trying to get a bigger contract in FA next year. Furthermore, he wants to stick to the Bills for letting him go. Playing well now, after they made the decision to dump his ass would only be frosting on the cake, especially since he's holding all the cards. Also, this allows the Bills to take a decent QB in the sixth or seventh round who can sit for a year and learn the offense to become a back-up to Edwards.

As to the "concerns" that some have expressed about Edwards and injuries, he does have some issues. However, he put on some bulk in the offseason and isn't having and pain in his wrist or knees. Sounds like he's ready to go to me. Worry about injuries when they happen.

We gotta keep him for no other reason than Trent is made of glass... If he goes down, I feel at least decent about Losman coming in and backing him up as opposed to some guy coming in who doesnt know the offense and is washed up... although todd collins seem to do a pretty good job for washington this year

Also, this allows the Bills to take a decent QB in the sixth or seventh round who can sit for a year and learn the offense to become a back-up to Edwards.

If we are taking a QB to be groomed, then you want something better than a 6th or 7th rounder! Taking a QB that late is a PROJECT for the long term.... I see us taking a QB, but as camp fodder/3rd string material with maybe long term potential.... and I see us getting a veteran QB next year to BU Edwards.... you do want you backup to have experience....

A few things:

Do you think there are any substantially better choices out there for a BU? If the consensus was that there were, someone would have already picked them up (likely to compete for starting). The odds of Edwards playing every significant snap this yr are slim. Losman therefore has value for us THIS YR.

Contrary to what everyone says, even if Losman walks after this season (probable), we likely WILL rcv something for him. You get compensation for net FAs lost, so that IF Losman signs elsewhere & does well, we WILL get something for him, effectively perhaps as high as a 3rd rounder. So unless someone is offering a decent pick (3rd or better), I think it's prudent to hold onto him.

Im pretty sure that goes into contract dollars. We might get a 7 nobody is going to make a blockbuster deal for JP

Or like another poster said the other day...When Losman is in the game you aren't waiting for something good to happen, you're waiting for something bad to happen. Maybe I really wouldn't want old ass Vinny in there, but i'm just ready to see Losman go somewhere else so the "what if" talk will subside.

My worry is that Edwards gets hurt or could struggle enough (probably unlikely) that the #2 QB has to play. I'm all for getting value for Losman, but I don't see a replacement in free-agency or on the Bills roster..........yet. Who knows what could happen between the draft and training camp. Losman could also be dealt in the first few weeks of the season. The early bye week could hellp us get a new #2 ready then.

Make a serious error in judgment in depth at the QB position and we could end up with a top 3 pick next year.

Or like another poster said the other day...When Losman is in the game you aren't waiting for something good to happen, you're waiting for something bad to happen. Maybe I really wouldn't want old ass Vinny in there, but i'm just ready to see Losman go somewhere else so the "what if" talk will subside.

That's understandable, but wanting Losman gone and saying Vinny is a better QB are two different things lol.