Why Keep Losman?

San-O

Or like another poster said the other day...When Losman is in the game you aren't waiting for something good to happen, you're waiting for something bad to happen. Maybe I really wouldn't want old ass Vinny in there, but i'm just ready to see Losman go somewhere else so the "what if" talk will subside.

JP has COME IN & WON games............. with a team MUCH worse than the 08 Bills should be. :thumbsup:

A few things:

Do you think there are any substantially better choices out there for a BU? If the consensus was that there were, someone would have already picked them up (likely to compete for starting). The odds of Edwards playing every significant snap this yr are slim. Losman therefore has value for us THIS YR.

I agree that Losman has value for us this year. The draft pick we'd be getting in exchange might provide value for the next 5 - 10 years. But if it's a low enough pick, he might not. A lot of this depends on which pick gets offered, and how strongly the Bills feel about the players that will be available in that spot.

Contrary to what everyone says, even if Losman walks after this season (probable), we likely WILL rcv something for him. You get compensation for net FAs lost, so that IF Losman signs elsewhere & does well, we WILL get something for him, effectively perhaps as high as a 3rd rounder. So unless someone is offering a decent pick (3rd or better), I think it's prudent to hold onto him.

To the best of my understanding, the formula involved in determining compensation is largely dependent on how much your player is making with his new team. Nobody's going to be throwing big money at Losman, so we'll lose out on that part of the formula. The formula may or may not take into account where a player was drafted.

Not only that, but the only way you get anything at all is if your net loss under the formula (through free agency) exceeds your net gain. If we extend Lee Evans, our only significant FA loss after the 2008 season should be Losman himself (with Losman only being "significant" under this formula if it takes into account draft position). Adding just one notable free agent could easily balance that out; or balance out enough of it that all we'd be left with would be some 6th or 7th round pick.

Based on all that, I'd strongly consider trading him away for a 4th round pick; and I'd definitely trade him away for a 3rd.

To the best of my understanding, the formula involved in determining compensation is largely dependent on how much your player is making with his new team. Nobody's going to be throwing big money at Losman, so we'll lose out on that part of the formula. The formula may or may not take into account where a player was drafted.

Not only that, but the only way you get anything at all is if your net loss under the formula (through free agency) exceeds your net gain. If we extend Lee Evans, our only significant FA loss after the 2008 season should be Losman himself (with Losman only being "significant" under this formula if it takes into account draft position). Adding just one notable free agent could easily balance that out; or balance out enough of it that all we'd be left with would be some 6th or 7th round pick.

WRT his level of compensation: He is a QB that at one time was thought very highly of. QBs make big $$$. Although I can't imagine anyone throwing Manning type money at him, I do believe he could be signed for an incentive laden cnt that if prolific/successful could pay him several million, which I think would make him valuable WRT FA loss compensation. FWIW, I believe playing time is also taken into consideration.

You bring up a good point. I did know that FA loss compensation is based on net loss; I wasn't aware that Evans was our only likely premiere FA coming up. If this is indeed the case, it does make it much less likely that Losman will be worth much, if anything for FA loss compensation.

Don't buy the talk; Buffalo wants to trade Losman

"Contrary to a report out of Buffalo this week that quoted Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon as saying, “We anticipate (J.P. Losman) being on this team,” we hear that the Bills’ quarterback is very much on the trading block. Losman asked to be traded after last season following his demotion behind Trent Edwards, but thus far, the Bills haven’t received many inquiries from other teams.

Still, the Bills hold out hope that they can work out a deal for him either over draft weekend or shortly thereafter. “Russ was simply giving the party-line answer,” said a source close to Brandon. “He’s just covering his bases in the event they don’t get a reasonable offer.”

The general feeling is that a third- or fourth-round draft pick — either in next week’s draft if they get the deal done soon, or in the ’09 draft if it’s worked out later — is the least amount of compensation the Bills would be willing to accept. In the event Buffalo fails to see that kind of offer, Losman would remain with the club as the second-string passer rather than being cut.

The Bills don’t have any other legitimate QB option behind Edwards and Losman, and the pickings for veteran quarterbacks still on the market are slim. With Losman’s contract set to expire after the season, there’s virtually no chance he’ll be on the team in ’09."

you know what ,read trhere draft reports ,then give them the credibility their writers deserve ,,, NONE!!

Don't buy the talk; Buffalo wants to trade Losman

"Contrary to a report out of Buffalo this week that quoted Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon as saying, “We anticipate (J.P. Losman) being on this team,” we hear that the Bills’ quarterback is very much on the trading block. Losman asked to be traded after last season following his demotion behind Trent Edwards, but thus far, the Bills haven’t received many inquiries from other teams.

Still, the Bills hold out hope that they can work out a deal for him either over draft weekend or shortly thereafter. “Russ was simply giving the party-line answer,” said a source close to Brandon. “He’s just covering his bases in the event they don’t get a reasonable offer.”

The general feeling is that a third- or fourth-round draft pick — either in next week’s draft if they get the deal done soon, or in the ’09 draft if it’s worked out later — is the least amount of compensation the Bills would be willing to accept. In the event Buffalo fails to see that kind of offer, Losman would remain with the club as the second-string passer rather than being cut.

The Bills don’t have any other legitimate QB option behind Edwards and Losman, and the pickings for veteran quarterbacks still on the market are slim. With Losman’s contract set to expire after the season, there’s virtually no chance he’ll be on the team in ’09."

If Buffalo trades JP with their current QB depth situation as it is, The GM should be fired. We have a young highly unproven QB in Edwards, and NADA behind him. If JP walks for anything less than a 2nd rounder they are weetarded.

If we are taking a QB to be groomed, then you want something better than a 6th or 7th rounder! Taking a QB that late is a PROJECT for the long term.... I see us taking a QB, but as camp fodder/3rd string material with maybe long term potential.... and I see us getting a veteran QB next year to BU Edwards.... you do want you backup to have experience....

Actually, there are plenty of 6th and 7th Round QBs who have turned out pretty well. Not necessarily as starters, but certainly sufficient for the back up role. With QBs its about whether you understand the game or not. They all mostly have the physical skills, at least to come in and play for a few games while an injured starter comes back from injury. You can find guys in those rounds who might not be the best players of all time (though Tom Brady might say that's not true) but they surely are good enough to come in if you need them. People would have said that there was no way a third rounder could come in as a rookie and lead a team and turn into a solid QB, but I think TE might also disagree with that.

Actually, there are plenty of 6th and 7th Round QBs who have turned out pretty well. Not necessarily as starters, but certainly sufficient for the back up role. With QBs its about whether you understand the game or not. They all mostly have the physical skills, at least to come in and play for a few games while an injured starter comes back from injury. You can find guys in those rounds who might not be the best players of all time (though Tom Brady might say that's not true) but they surely are good enough to come in if you need them. People would have said that there was no way a third rounder could come in as a rookie and lead a team and turn into a solid QB, but I think TE might also disagree with that.

Derek Anderson, I believe he was also a 6th round pick.

If Buffalo trades JP with their current QB depth situation as it is, The GM should be fired. We have a young highly unproven QB in Edwards, and NADA behind him. If JP walks for anything less than a 2nd rounder they are weetarded.

too bad we don;t have a GM to fire :thumbsup:

too bad we don;t have a GM to fire :thumbsup:

And there you have it!

I wonder, seriously, who will be the first of the "hydra" G.M. to go, and how that would be handled.