Midwest quake felt far and wide

EC-Bills

Some said they felt it here in Cleveland. We're 500 miles from the epicenter.

I did not...I was still asleep at the time.

The one I remember was in January 1986. I was in the lunch room at school and I asked my friend to stop shaking the table. He wasn't. I remember the cafeteria fell silent b/c everyone looked over and saw the plastic covers on the vending machines swaying. I guess the overhead lights were doing the same thing too.

5.0 quake that day, near the Perry nuclear plant, 40 miles east of Cleveland (I was 50 miles west of the epicenter).

I remember asking my mom if she felt the quake when I got home that day. She looked at me and said, "So that's what that was." She'd never felt one before.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one I remember was in January 1986. I was in the lunch room at school and I asked my friend to stop shaking the table. He wasn't. I remember the cafeteria fell silent b/c everyone looked over and saw the plastic covers on the vending machines swaying. I guess the overhead lights were doing the same thing too.

5.0 quake that day, near the Perry nuclear plant, 40 miles east of Cleveland (I was 50 miles west of the epicenter).

I remember asking my mom if she felt the quake when I got home that day. She looked at me and said, "So that's what that was." She'd never felt one before.

I remember that quake too (in Erie). I was laying in bed, home sick from school that day. At first I thought my older brother had hid under my bed and was tormenting me. Then I remembered he was in school

My mom came upstairs and thought I had caused all the ruckus by jumping up and down on the bed

Nope not where I live. Maybe near the New Madrid Fault system (and they don't get a lot of snow there)... Sure I may feel it, but rubble... :thumbsup:;)

My point is that I live near one the world's most famous fault systems and I have never dug out rubble either. That's my response to people saying that living here is not all that great due to earthquakes.

My point is that I live near one the world's most famous fault systems and I have never dug out rubble either. That's my response to people saying that living here is not all that great due to earthquakes.

I understand... But, the odds are greater in Southern Cali... Maybe not your specific area.

Look at what may happen to Seattle when Mt. Rainier decides to blow it's top.

I think you have to go by how they rank areas for natural disasters... Here in certain parts there are "tornado" hotspots... I think the last big one in this area was Plainfield, IL around 1990... We are due for one.

Me personally, I would rather deal with the snow than have a huge event hanging over my head. Just my opinion.

People hear S. Cal and just associate that with earthquakes much like people's reaction when you tell them you're from BUF and they immediately think of snow.

This one was associated with the New Madrid Fault Line. It's been relatively inactive lately but that's the same Fault Line that changed the course of the Mississippi River in the early 1800's so who's to say what could happen in the future.

Maybe you won't have to dig out rubble but they could consider treading water in places where they never did that before.

People hear S. Cal and just associate that with earthquakes much like people's reaction when you tell them you're from BUF and they immediately think of snow.

This one was associated with the New Madrid Fault Line. It's been relatively inactive lately but that's the same Fault Line that changed the course of the Mississippi River in the early 1800's so who's to say what could happen in the future.

Maybe you won't have to dig out rubble but they could consider treading water in places where they never did that before.

Or shut down the economy coming out of the cornbelt and west on the Upper Mississippi River... Just think of the grain that comes out of there... Also coal that heads up it, let alone all the other commodities... And New Madrid is right around were the Upper meets the Lower and the Ohio... Major distruption would be at risk.

Or shut down the economy coming out of the cornbelt and west on the Upper Mississippi River... Just think of the grain that comes out of there... Also coal that heads up it, let alone all the other commodities... And New Madrid is right around were the Upper meets the Lower and the Ohio... Major distruption would be at risk.

If an 8.0 earthquake happens at the New Madrid area (which has about a 1 in 10 chance of happening, since that was about the strength of the 1811 quake), the following would occur:

*Major destruction of two of America's largest cities (St. Louis and Memphis).

*Damage as far away as Chicago and Cincinnati, and perhaps more minor damage farther away.

*Disruption of commerce on the Mississippi River for an unknown length of time.

*Death toll in the thousands.

*As many as 75 million people affected (nearly 25% of this country's population).

*Losses in the hundreds of billions of dollars.

*Farming would be affected adversely, resulting in higher prices and possible shortages.

*More problems with oil.

It would be the worst disaster that this country has ever faced. We better pray it doesn't happen.

If an 8.0 earthquake happens at the New Madrid area (which has about a 1 in 10 chance of happening, since that was about the strength of the 1811 quake), the following would occur:

*Damage as far away as Chicago and Cincinnati, and perhaps more minor damage farther away.

*As many as 75 million people affected (nearly 25% of this country's population).

*Farming would be affected adversely, resulting in higher prices and possible shortages.

*More problems with oil.

It would be the worst disaster that this country has ever faced. We better pray it doesn't happen.

Sorry praying wont help. :wallbash:

*More problems with oil.

There have been 4.0 aftershocks. When New Madrid last went off in 1811- it shook the church bells in Boston- from Missouri

Nice post Mike. You made a good point in another thread tonight that Marino could of been a Steeler- you are on a roll tonight

If there is a major quake on the Hayward , San Andreas or Calavaras fault in the SF area, there will be massive, massive damage. The Calavaras fault runs only about a mile from my place, along the base of the hills I can see from my window. There was a 5.6 several months ago that just knocked stuff off shelves. All the aftershocks were south of that quake, meaning the section by me is locked and building up stress.

The Hayward fault, which is predicted to be the most likely to go next runs directly through the six east bay cities with populations ofover a million total.The city of Fremont built their city hall directly on a branch of it in the 70s. They ended up abandoning it a few years later when they found out about the branch and tore it down in 2004. The city of Hayward had put their city hall right on the main fault many years ago. They recently built a new one several blocks away.

The fault goes directly through Memorial Stadium where the UC Berkley Golden Bears play. It goes from goalpost to goalpost. I've seen pictures of the end zone seats where the fault has crept several inches since the stadium was built many years ago.

This week I have to work at a site that may be directly on the San Andreas. If it isn't through the property, it is likely within 500-1000 feet of it. I will be looking for offset curbs etc. when I am there.

Have you ever had a wild fire go rip roarin through your backyard?

Have you ever had a wild fire go rip roarin through your backyard?

Ate some Mexican food on Sunday and had a wild fire go rip roarin' through my bathroom yesterday.

BTW it was a very good friend of mine who had to evacuate not me.