If Dems Expand Their Majority In November

Sen. Joseph Lieberman's friends are certain that if Democrats expand their one-vote Senate edge in this year's elections, they will kick him out of the Senate Democratic caucus and, therefore, oust him as Homeland Security Committee chairman.

Lieberman risked the usual punishment of ejection from the party caucus when he endorsed Republican Sen. John McCain for president and actively campaigned for him. But with Democrats in a Senate majority of only 51 to 49, they would lose control if Lieberman defected to the Republicans.

After being defeated by an anti-Iraq war candidate in the 2006 Connecticut Democratic primary, Lieberman kept his Senate seat in the general election by running as an independent and now calls himself an ''Independent Democrat.''

http://www.suntimes.com/news/novak/891653,...novak13.article

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lieberman is the 2008 version of Zell Miller. I wouldn't be suprised if he speaks at the Republican convention. The sooner he's removed as chairman the better.

That's a good point.

I wonder if he will compare Obama's election to the presidency to the holocaust. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I wouldn't be surprised if McCain uses Lieberman to try and consolidate his Conservative base.

FDR and Truman were men of peace

You "know" they were "men of peace" because you choose to "understand" them through a lens that furnishes this perspective. You choose to see them as "men of peace" because it fits and affirms your world view.

Beware thy own lens, for it shows you what you want to see if you are not constantly calibrating the focus.

JFK didn't invade Cuba, did he?

FDR and Truman were men of peace that had wars pushed on them by foreign aggressors, they didn't go looking for reasons to knock off and occupy countries.

Yah! FDR did nothing to squeeze the Japanese. :lol:

FDR and Truman were men of peace that had wars pushed on them by foreign aggressors, they didn't go looking for reasons to knock off and occupy countries.

Yeah I am sure ordering the blockade of fuel imports didn't incite Japan to act.

I am sure being the only person to order a nuclear weapon be used is a man of peace.

No, he had nothing to do with the Bay of Pigs. Or the Cuban Missile Crisis - no act of war there.

Yeah, remember when those North Koreans forced Truman to invade them. Scandalous...

No, he had nothing to do with the Bay of Pigs. Or the Cuban Missile Crisis - no act of war there.

Nor that country in East Asia that gets the most comparison to Iraq. No sirree Bob, they were men of peace.

Forget keynote speeches.

I'm waiting for McCain to ask him to be his running mate.

Not implausible, but I would be surprised if it happens. JMac is having a hard enough time attracting the 'conservative' vote w/o picking a former Dem VP-nominee. He's already getting the right-of-center vote. He'd be stupid if he doesn't run with either Romney (voted for him in the primary and it may sway me, even if I have to hold my nose while I fill in the bubble) or the Huckster (in which case, I will be voting for my dog as a write-in).

If he wants Croakin' Joe, he can have 'im. Fuggin' guy has done diddly for this state except bend over and take 40 cents back on the dollar.

Yeah, remember when those North Koreans forced Truman to invade them. Scandalous...

Not to mention another Democratic man of peace, LBJ. Can you imagine what would have happened if that warmonger Goldwater had gotten elected in '64?

And Woodrow Wilson. He kept us out of war, and he can do it again, and he can do it again... :P