linebackers on the field?

Ellison, DiGeorgio, Posluzny, Crowell and Mitchell. I think we look pretty darn good at linebacker. should we look to capitalizing on strong linebacking and moving toward putting pressure on New England the way the Giants did in the Superbowl by unleashing them on the qb? One obvious way would jeopardize our beloved Tampa 2, by putting four linebackers on the field and using a 3-4. Anyone have other ideas that might capitalize on what looks to be a quality linebacking corps?

Ellison, DiGeorgio, Posluzny, Crowell and Mitchell. I think we look pretty darn good at linebacker. should we look to capitalizing on strong linebacking and moving toward putting pressure on New England the way the Giants did in the Superbowl by unleashing them on the qb? One obvious way would jeopardize our beloved Tampa 2, by putting four linebackers on the field and using a 3-4. Anyone have other ideas that might capitalize on what looks to be a quality linebacking corps?

Score More TD's so they pass rush more?

Score More TD's so they pass rush more?

Actually, I think that is the most obvious answer. That's why WR, TE and possibly fullback should be the dominant picks on draft day. Scoring really would open up our linebackers as it puts tremendous pressure on the other team to concentrate on passing.

Actually, I think that is the most obvious answer. That's why WR, TE and possibly fullback should be the dominant picks on draft day. Scoring really would open up our linebackers as it puts tremendous pressure on the other team to concentrate on passing.

I have always liked the 3-4. However, we do not have the DE's to make it work. If you can bring back Bruce and Hansen.....Now if we can get a pass-rushing end in the draft, it might work.

Our D-line should be much more productive (please God, I'm beggin) including a better inside push. Will that in itself give the defense a few more options? Consistent play by Stroud/Williams/McCargo should allow for more stunts & inside blitzes. Keep the base defense. Go to the everyone stand up option occasionaly. Blitz regularly inside/outside/safety...change things up and fly to the QB.

Our D-line should be much more productive (please God, I'm beggin) including a better inside push. Will that in itself give the defense a few more options? Consistent play by Stroud/Williams/McCargo should allow for more stunts & inside blitzes. Keep the base defense. Go to the everyone stand up option occasionaly. Blitz regularly inside/outside/safety...change things up and fly to the QB.

Agree - Force teams to pass by stopping the run and you can blitz more.

Never mind that. How is that TE from Tenn.? :thumbsup:

the last tight end from Tennessee I pushed for us to get was Jason Whitten. Cottam has had more than his share of injuries but is a real huge player (tight end and OT). I'd go for him later in the draft rather than sooner. He can play but he's had too many injuries. you generally are safe with UT players as far as talent goes. I think you could easily put together a roster of UT players in the NFL which would handily beat any roster made from any other college team.

Cottam of Tennessee:

Cottam has had injury issues and lacks great production. He opened some eyes at the Senior Bowl in that there was more to this guy than originally believed. He impressed me getting down the seam and splitting safeties. He's the tallest tight end in the draft and has very respectable numbers from his workouts. The 4.27-second short shuttle for a player this tall is impressive, as well as the 36 ½-inch vertical. Any team looking for a tight end -- such as the Giants got when they picked Kevin Boss last year -- will like what they see in Cottam. He could easily play pro football at 285 pounds and still beat linebacker coverage. Cottam could be a surprise pick in this draft. Draft projection: Rounds 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...campaign=ec0005

If we don't have a tight end by round 3 I'd be buying.

Cottam of Tennessee:

Cottam has had injury issues and lacks great production. He opened some eyes at the Senior Bowl in that there was more to this guy than originally believed. He impressed me getting down the seam and splitting safeties. He's the tallest tight end in the draft and has very respectable numbers from his workouts. The 4.27-second short shuttle for a player this tall is impressive, as well as the 36 ½-inch vertical. Any team looking for a tight end -- such as the Giants got when they picked Kevin Boss last year -- will like what they see in Cottam. He could easily play pro football at 285 pounds and still beat linebacker coverage. Cottam could be a surprise pick in this draft. Draft projection: Rounds 3-4.

Sold. :thumbsup:

Cottam of Tennessee:

He got hurt again @ the combine. Thing was, he was tearin' it up before the injury too. I think the poor kid is just snake bitten.

A good 3-4 doesn't work because it has great linebackers, it works because it has a great defensive line. Having two DTs on the field covers up the weaknesses either would show on the field alone. You can have a weaker LB on the field in the 3-4 than in the 4-3.

He got hurt again @ the combine. Thing was, he was tearin' it up before the injury too. I think the poor kid is just snake bitten.

I know. Snake bit is probably the way to look at him. Its a risk, but he sure has an upside, if the injury jinx could ever end. He's a roll of the dice, but hink of a 6'7 285 tight end who can outrun most backers. .

We really need to stop pretending that DiGiorgio and (to a slightly lesser-extent) Ellison are starting LBs in the NFL.

thank you

Crowell is not far behind either.

Bills would benefit greatly by replacing him with a playmaker

I'm looking at Mitchell Poszlusny and Crowell as starters. That's a fairly good sized bunch of linebackers (nearly 250 lbs average) , with Ellison and DiGiorgio (who I think are pretty good...let alone good as backups.) I'll predict that linebacker will one of our strengths this coming year. The proof is in the pudding. Let's see how they play with a clearly more stable defensive personnel situation. Remember how the injury plague hit our defense week after week last year. Let's make a note to check on this at Thanksgiving and see what we have.