OL in the first round WTF!

bdelma

... i perfer another pass rusher to pressure Brady etc. but i think the Bills make a shocker pick here and go with Albert ... then get that tall WR in round two ... a big TE in the third ... "hello" power running game ! ... but, what the heck do I know ! ...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Houston David Carr QB Fresno State

2. Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina

3. Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon

4. Buffalo Mike Williams OT Texas

5. San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas

6. Kansas City (from Dallas) Ryan Sims DT North Carolina

7. Minnesota Bryant McKinnie OT Miami (Fla)

8.Dallas (from Kansas City) Roy Williams SS Oklahoma

9. Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee

10. Cincinnati Levi Jones OT Arizona State

11. Indianapolis Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse

12. Arizona Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin

13. New Orleans Donte Stallworth WR Tennessee

14. NY Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey TE Miami (Fla)

15. Tennessee (from NY Giants) Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee

16. Cleveland William Green RB Boston College

17. Oakland (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla)

18. Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State

19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii

20. Green Bay (from Seattle) Javon Walker WR Florida State

21. New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham TE Colorado

22. NY Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham

23. Oakland Napolean Harris OLB Northwestern

24. Baltimore Edward Reed S Miami (FLA)

25. New Orleans (from Miami) Charles Grant DE Georgia

26. Philadelphia Lito Sheppard CB Florida

27. San Francisco Mike Rumph CB Miami (Fla)

28. Seattle (from Green Bay) Jerramy Stevens TE Washington

29. Chicago Marc Colombo OT Boston College

30. Pittsburgh Kendall Simmons OG Auburn

31. St. Louis Robert Thomas MLB UCLA

32. Washington (from New England) Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

If the Bills drafed any of these guys that year, you wouldn't be complaining.

back then, a lot of people thought the Bengals were crazy for drafting Levi Jones that early. he did pan out for them though.

I would be ok with this especially since we have Lynch in the backfield.....a power running game is a good thing for a young offense and there will be big receivers / TE's still available in the second and third....

Go Bills!

I would be ok with this especially since we have Lynch in the backfield.....a power running game is a good thing for a young offense and there will be big receivers / TE's still available in the second and third....

Go Bills!

Thank you for this. If they draft this kid hold your ears, because my screams will be heard across the nation. :rolleyes:

In today rag, which sucks here the football writer says OL in the first round for the Bills. Branden Albert from VA. I think the bills need more help somewhere else. By the way first wideout goes to dallas.

Like I said in a couple other Posts don't lose to much sleep over Albert cause the chances of Him still being on The Board at #11 are growing smaller and smaller each day...

His Stock is soaring...And most "experts" have Him in their top 10 now... :rolleyes:

In today rag, which sucks here the football writer says OL in the first round for the Bills. Branden Albert from VA. I think the bills need more help somewhere else. By the way first wideout goes to dallas.

Albert may indeed be the best player available at 11. However very good guards are usually second half of the first round.

We need to get good DL when we can and it's likely that Harvey is there at 11. I also like Mckelvin at 11 and Comatrie.

If the Bills must take a Wr at 11 it had better be Delvin Thomas.

I'd like to use the the 3rd and one in the Dallas Monday Nighter game as an example. We then went go for it on 4th down and promptly got stuffed. If Harvey is gone and Albert is there, then I'm all in.

An elite o line is something we havent had since the electric company..I agree if Harvey is there grab him if he isnt take the lineman..All great teams have had great olines....

I would agree that right now the line is above average, but no elite. We can do perfectly fine this season with what we have. That said, O-Line is a place where talented players are at a premium. I would rather we not draft Albert there. I tend to think that lineman from Virginia have been overrated the last few years, with Ferguson as a prime example. Albert is a good player and would likely be another above average player at RG. However, that spot is not a NEED position in the way that WR, CB, TE are NEED positions. We need top talent in those spots after this draft. I would not be surprised to see us trade back in exchange for an additional second or third round pick so that we can get four top playmakers on day one. Two WRs a TE and a CB, though not necessarily in that order.

I wouldn't hate the Albert pick but I would question it with everything that we need on this team.

With Edwards' seeming ease for injury a massive right guard would not only help in slowing the pass rush but would help the running game immensely too. I would love this pick.

Thank you for this. If they draft this kid hold your ears, because my screams will be heard across the nation. :rolleyes:

Not in Rochester. He's from here and there'd be cheering! :thumbsup:

Strengths: Is tall and thickly built. Also has long arms and big hands. Shows a quick first, takes proper angles to assignments and gets into position quickly. Plays with a mean streak and drives legs once locked onto the defender. Has very good initial quickness for his size. Shows above-average range and can pull around the edge. Shows smooth footwork getting into pass sets and shuffles feet to stay in front of defenders. Gets adequate hand placement and extends arms once in position. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and can adjust to line stunts as well as blitzes. Never missed a game because of an injury and is durable.

Weaknesses: Does not have overwhelming power and doesn't knock many defenders back with initial punch. Plays too high at times and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Runs well on a straight line but has some trouble hitting the moving target. Doesn't get great knee bend in pass sets and can get pushed back into the pocket. Appears to take plays off at times and may lack ideal endurance at this point.

Overall: Albert started all 37 of Virginia's games during his three-year career (2005-07), including two at offensive tackle in 2007. He allowed just one sack and received an All-ACC honorable mention in 2006. He was a first-team All-ACC selection in '07. Bottom line: Albert needs to improve his power at the point of attack and learn to get under defenders' pads. He also is a bit inconsistent when it comes to hitting the moving target as a second level run blocker. However, he is a massive guard with very good short-area quickness and tenacity. He could possibly move to ROT in the NFL but we think he fits best inside at guard, where he should quickly develop into an upper-echelon starter. He could be the top interior offensive lineman selected in 2008 draft no later than the second round.

... i perfer another pass rusher to pressure Brady etc. but i think the Bills make a shocker pick here and go with Albert ... then get that tall WR in round two ... a big TE in the third ... "hello" power running game ! ... but, what the heck do I know ! ...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...t.532bcdf5.html

Rick Gosselin, widely renowned for the accuracy his mock drafts, has us taking Albert as well

it would be a surprising pick. Really not sure where he would fit in. Butler isn't playing center - too tall and has no experience at that position on any level. It's always good to have great big men, but it makes more sense on defense since you rotate players in. We need better depth - not sure we really need a 1st round backup guard/tackle.

Just cause we drafted crappy mid to late round lineman with Donahoe doesn't mean that that's all that can happen. Butler was a 5th rounder and he was probably our 2nd best lineman last year.

With Edwards' seeming ease for injury a massive right guard would not only help in slowing the pass rush but would help the running game immensely too. I would love this pick.

Not in Rochester. He's from here and there'd be cheering! :rolleyes:

Strengths: Is tall and thickly built. Also has long arms and big hands. Shows a quick first, takes proper angles to assignments and gets into position quickly. Plays with a mean streak and drives legs once locked onto the defender. Has very good initial quickness for his size. Shows above-average range and can pull around the edge. Shows smooth footwork getting into pass sets and shuffles feet to stay in front of defenders. Gets adequate hand placement and extends arms once in position. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and can adjust to line stunts as well as blitzes. Never missed a game because of an injury and is durable.

Weaknesses: Does not have overwhelming power and doesn't knock many defenders back with initial punch. Plays too high at times and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Runs well on a straight line but has some trouble hitting the moving target. Doesn't get great knee bend in pass sets and can get pushed back into the pocket. Appears to take plays off at times and may lack ideal endurance at this point.

Overall: Albert started all 37 of Virginia's games during his three-year career (2005-07), including two at offensive tackle in 2007. He allowed just one sack and received an All-ACC honorable mention in 2006. He was a first-team All-ACC selection in '07. Bottom line: Albert needs to improve his power at the point of attack and learn to get under defenders' pads. He also is a bit inconsistent when it comes to hitting the moving target as a second level run blocker. However, he is a massive guard with very good short-area quickness and tenacity. He could possibly move to ROT in the NFL but we think he fits best inside at guard, where he should quickly develop into an upper-echelon starter. He could be the top interior offensive lineman selected in 2008 draft no later than the second round.

I like the sound of that.... lets take him

it would be a surprising pick. Really not sure where he would fit in. Butler isn't playing center - too tall and has no experience at that position on any level. It's always good to have great big men, but it makes more sense on defense since you rotate players in. We need better depth - not sure we really need a 1st round backup guard/tackle.

Just cause we drafted crappy mid to late round lineman with Donahoe doesn't mean that that's all that can happen. Butler was a 5th rounder and he was probably our 2nd best lineman last year.

I think the Bills will make him a right tackle.

Wow, your from Rock Hill. Just moved here in July!! Where is good place to watch games???

BTW, the sports coverage does suck down here.

The Local TV stuff does suck a bit...Well a good bit actually...

But I think very few Markets have the quality Sports Talk Radio WFNZ offers...The Mack Attack, on from 11AM-3PM, may very well be the funniest Sports Talk Radio Show I've ever heard...I'm completely addicted to that Show...The Morning and Late Afternoon Shows are also pretty good...

Don't know where there is a good place to watch Bills Games anymore...I prefer HD from My Dish...I used to go to The Township Grill in Matthews Years ago...:rolleyes:

Wow, your from Rock Hill. Just moved here in July!! Where is good place to watch games???

BTW, the sports coverage does suck down here.

Looking to leave the area, had enough of the place. Township Grill in Matthews NC is the home of the Bills down here.