Nice knowing ya, Bryant Gumbel

Lori

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...l.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Bryant Gumbel has given up his role as an NFL Network play-by-play announcer after two seasons.

The NFL Network said Friday it was looking for a new play-by-play announcer to work with Cris Collinsworth on the network's Thursday and Saturday night games.

...and there was much rejoicing...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Bryant Gumbel has given up his role as an NFL Network play-by-play announcer after two seasons.

The NFL Network said Friday it was looking for a new play-by-play announcer to work with Cris Collinsworth on the network's Thursday and Saturday night games.

Love the Python reference. :pirate:

He was perhaps the blandest pxp guy I've ever heard. He'd be better describing paint dry.

I hated when he called games, so annoying.

Good ridance.

IMO the best game commentator duo is Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. Those guys are great. I just wish they called AFC games for CBS since I don't care for the NFC. :cry:

Oh, god. Joe Buck is like the Rosie O'Donnell of football announcers. And yet, he's nowhere near as bad as Gumbel. I always got the feeling that he had to be reminded during breaks what teams were playing.

Steve Tasker is a good commentator too, I really like him too.

I loved Steve Tasker as a player, but IMO, he is brutal as a color guy...maybe not Randy Cross brutal, but brutal none the les...I thought he would be much better.

BTW- I heard Ben Maler the other night (FOX Sports Radio, sorry no link) saying that NBC was trying to lure Brett Favre to their broadcast team....can you imagine, Brett Favre and John Madden on the same "team"? Somebody might have to file a restraining order.... :cry:

Either you guys are all crazy, or I'm way off with my commentator evaluations, LOL.

You are way off IMO.

Tasker was a great player, but is among the worst of the game announcers.

Gumbel was hideous. I am happy to see him go. What in the hell was he doing calling football games anyway?!

Tasker isn't as bad as people make him out to be, and, honestly, he seems to be getting better.

The weird thing about Buck is that he seems like a funny, witty guy who can be really good, but he's too straight laced and understated. He's much better suited to baseball.

Hooray! Gumbel was atrocious to say the least.

Joe Buck is horrible too. Too monotone and bland for my taste. I like to hear enthusiasm in commentators. They don't have to be fans of the teams but they can at least have some gitty-up and spice it up at the appropriate times.

Gus Johnson is one of my favorites...I remember on opening day when Roscoe returned that punt for a TD...he was great...

"Here comes Roscoe....BANG! Touch...Down...Buffalo! NO FLAGS! :cry:

Either you guys are all crazy, or I'm way off with my commentator evaluations, LOL.

You're not way off. The truth is, it's really just a matter of taste. One of my favorites is Al Michaels, but I also really enjoy John Madden, which isn't a very popular statement. He's a nut, but I like nuts. One of the reasons I can sit and watch any game, regardless of the quality of play, is because as a kid I used to sit through any game, regardless of the quality of play, just to listen to what was, at the time, the MNF half-time version of "the fastest three minutes" from Howard Cosell. Couldn't wait for him to inject one of his "...and THEN.." or "...but WAIT..."

I loved him. I loved that whole goofy group. Madden is like that. I can't believe how many people here hate Madden. But I unabashedly dig him. He truly puts the color in "color guy."

Seriously. It's a matter of taste.

But seriously...Gumbel and Tasker suck. Could they take one day during the week of preparation and learn the players' names and positions? Please?

Man now I REALLY want NFL Network!! I think he should go back to the Gumbel to Gumbel show he did with his brother on Family Guy.

I loved Steve Tasker as a player, but IMO, he is brutal as a color guy...maybe not Randy Cross brutal, but brutal none the les...I thought he would be much better.

BTW- I heard Ben Maler the other night (FOX Sports Radio, sorry no link) saying that NBC was trying to lure Brett Favre to their broadcast team....can you imagine, Brett Favre and John Madden on the same "team"? Somebody might have to file a restraining order.... :cry:

It might be the Bills homer in me but I really like Tasker as a color man. I really don't pay attention too much to what they're saying unless they're mapping out a play or defining a rule.

I thought Tasker was pretty good. Told it how it was. He never favors any team even when its the Bills.....

Now Randy Cross is one guy id love to punch in the face!

For his broadcasting? That's a bit harsh. If you want to punch anyone in the face make it Dick Cheyney!!