Is this possible? Best draft scenario

1. Derrick Harvey DE

2. Malcolm Kelly WR

3. John Carlson TE

4. Jeremy Zuttah OL

4. Steve Justice C

We'd get the DE monster, the WR steal, the go to TE target, and bolster the much needed depth in the middle of our offensive line with two very good prospects.

Given the circumstances of yesterday's bad workout by Kelly there's the distinct possibility out there that he could fall to us in the second round. This is a guy that obviously was hurt by a lingering injury issue, but so did another guy that we stole in the second named Thurman Thomas. Kelly has proven he's a darn good football player who is definitely worth the (what I think is low) risk. Given all this, I think the Bills would have had a phenomenal draft if they could grab the above players in rounds 1-4.

Why no CB? I just have never bought into this theory that we still need to find Nate Clements' replacement. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think we're solid with Greer and McGee as our starters. I also think that the Bills should be able to sign a veteran for depth and/or nickel purposes after June 1st cuts or in player cuts when other teams pick youth over experience during train camps. It happens every year and fans here forget that Youboty can also be that missing piece who's ready to hit his stride.

I think that I'd rather go with a guy like Keller in R2 at TE if Harvey or another defender is taken in R1. I'm not really sold on the 2nd group of WRs in this draft and would rather just pick one of the projects in the 3rd or 4th. Meanwhile, Keller fills the immediate need of a possession receiver and a deep threat down the middle of the field.

1. Derrick Harvey DE

2. Malcolm Kelly WR

3. John Carlson TE

4. Jeremy Zuttah OL

4. Steve Justice C

We'd get the DE monster, the WR steal, the go to TE target, and bolster the much needed depth in the middle of our offensive line with two very good prospects.

Given the circumstances of yesterday's bad workout by Kelly there's the distinct possibility out there that he could fall to us in the second round. This is a guy that obviously was hurt by a lingering injury issue, but so did another guy that we stole in the second named Thurman Thomas. Kelly has proven he's a darn good football player who is definitely worth the (what I think is low) risk. Given all this, I think the Bills would have had a phenomenal draft if they could grab the above players in rounds 1-4.

Why no CB? I just have never bought into this theory that we still need to find Nate Clements' replacement. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think we're solid with Greer and McGee as our starters. I also think that the Bills should be able to sign a veteran for depth and/or nickel purposes after June 1st cuts or in player cuts when other teams pick youth over experience during train camps. It happens every year and fans here forget that Youboty can also be that missing piece who's ready to hit his stride.

I think its a stretch for almost all of those players to be there when we pick.

If Kelly is really what you say, I'm sure he wouldn't fall all the way to us. I don't think Carlson would be there for us in the 3rd, and I don't think either Justice or Zuttah would be there in the 4th either.

I like it becuase I like the idea of defense first, but I'm not sure about Kelly. I would rather they be sure that they get a receiving target (note that I am not saying WR) that can come in and contribute right away in a short area (i.e. red zone). I could see this being either a TE or a WR. I think they have the flexibility to go with either a WR or TE in the first 3 rounds, provided the FO believes that guy will produce in the limited role enought o make a difference. Then go with more of a project guy later on. I was thinking more of going TE in round 2, leaving round 1 and 3 open for BPA.

I think its a stretch for almost all of those players to be there when we pick.

If Kelly is really what you say, I'm sure he wouldn't fall all the way to us. I don't think Carlson would be there for us in the 3rd, and I don't think either Justice or Zuttah would be there in the 4th either.

If we have not taken a reciever and Kelly is on the board someone would probably trade with the team in front of us to take him. It is alot easier to trade in round 2 than it is in round 1.

I love all but the Justice pick. Scouts say Zuttah's best pro position may be center. I'd pick qb Josh Johnson with the second 4th as qb insurance down the line, then maybe another receiver in the early 5th.

I have a feeling though that the Bills will take corner in the 1st though rather than Harvey.

1. Derrick Harvey DE

2. Malcolm Kelly WR

3. John Carlson TE

4. Jeremy Zuttah OL

4. Steve Justice C

29th ranked pass defense last year :D Yea, we are stellar at pass defense; thus, there is no need for CB on your brilliant list.

1. Derrick Harvey DE

2. Malcolm Kelly WR

3. John Carlson TE

4. Jeremy Zuttah OL

4. Steve Justice C

I just think that now that Kelly is out of the question in the 1st round that we can afford to trade down to get Thomas. I know he'll still be there even if we drop 5 picks. Everyone thinks that Sweed is now the best WR but just don't see that.

I just think that now that Kelly is out of the question in the 1st round that we can afford to trade down to get Thomas. I know he'll still be there even if we drop 5 picks. Everyone thinks that Sweed is now the best WR but just don't see that.

If the Bills trade down, everyone is going to know what they're up to. They may still get Devin Thomas at 16-17, but they'd be inviting someone to trade up and pick him before they can. Is it worth the risk if you're dead set on taking him? Not in my opinion.

29th ranked pass defense last year :D Yea, we are stellar at pass defense; thus, there is no need for CB on your brilliant list.

why is it that some ppl think that just because Bills ranked really bad in pass defense its all about the secondary? when you have DE's like Kelsay running past QB's and Schobel getting manhandled..and DT's not penatrating like they should be...it makes the job of the secondary harder.

If the Bills trade down, everyone is going to know what they're up to. They may still get Devin Thomas at 16-17, but they'd be inviting someone to trade up and pick him before they can. Is it worth the risk if you're dead set on taking him? Not in my opinion.

I like this post...this is something noone has brought up yet...everyone keeps saying Bills should move down and take a WR but your right...what if someone sees what Bills are doing and slip infront to keep Bills from takeing the guy they want...probably wont happen but it is a possability.

I might be worth it. Think about it. How many teams below us REALLY need a WR. Let see....

12. Denver Broncos - no

13. Carolina Panthers - no

14. Chicago Bears - no

15. Detroit Lions - no :D

16. Arizona Cardinals - Obviously not

17. Minnesoata Vikings - Possibly

18. Houston Texans - Maybe

19. Philadelphia Eagles - Yes. They are looking for a #1 WR.

All I see below us that might need a WR are the Kinkings and Texans. If we can make it seem like we're trying to go after Sweed, we could entice one of those teams (Hopefully Minnesota) to trade up and we come by an rob there draft picks (HOORAY MORE!). I think trading down ON PAPER looks like a good bet.

AsHorus noted above but in repetitive greater detail. The keys to improving the Bills pass D are:

1. Even more improvement in the DL since as NYG demonstrated in the last SB while good DB play is key to neutralizing Moss/Welker (and for the Bills with a base Cover 2 scheme it is more the safeties than the CB play where we need effective work rather than the CBs primarily), the big key was to sack and consistently pressure Brady.

2. Good LB play is also key as blitzes by the LBs are a key point of pressure, good tackling on the RBs keeps the O out of the run/pass option for picking up the 1st down. This allows for more effective coverage of the WRs.

3. Again better safety play is far more critical against the WRs as in our base D the CBs release the WRs in the deep and even mid zone.

4. Though in the it is man against man it is arguable that an even better method than getting improved CB play for getting better production from the pass D is actually to get a good possession WR or a TE who reduces our 3 and outs and simply keeps their WRs off the field.

You are right that the pass D production must be improved, but getting better CB play is far from the primary method we should pursue to get better production as the CB generally will play the short zone and from time to time run with WRs all over the field when we switch to a more conventional D,

I might be worth it. Think about it. How many teams below us REALLY need a WR. Let see....

12. Denver Broncos - no

14. Chicago Bears - no

All I see below us that might need a WR are the Kinkings and Texans. If we can make it seem like we're trying to go after Sweed, we could entice one of those teams (Hopefully Minnesota) to trade up and we come by an rob there draft picks (HOORAY MORE!). I think trading down ON PAPER looks like a good bet.

Denver has a young QB and 1 WR worth anything. Marshall and who else?

Carolina has steve smith and who? Mushin muhammad and dwayne jarret? lol

Chicago has WHO? how can you say they won't take a WR? Devin Thomas wouldnt be a good fit there?

Minnesota doesnt need a WR? LOL

Houston has andre johnson and ANDRE DAVIS! yeah, they definitely wont take a WR

I like it becuase I like the idea of defense first, but I'm not sure about Kelly. I would rather they be sure that they get a receiving target (note that I am not saying WR) that can come in and contribute right away in a short area (i.e. red zone). I could see this being either a TE or a WR. I think they have the flexibility to go with either a WR or TE in the first 3 rounds, provided the FO believes that guy will produce in the limited role enought o make a difference. Then go with more of a project guy later on. I was thinking more of going TE in round 2, leaving round 1 and 3 open for BPA.

I don't think there is a WR or a TE in this draft that would be much of a contributor in their first year.

12. Denver Broncos - no

14. Chicago Bears - no

My hope is that their are a few top OT's still on the board and Chicago or Detroit want to trade up. In most of the mock drafts I see OT's are going to those teams that are behind us. My other dream scenario is that the Vikings trade Matt Birk to swap picks. We would most likely need to give up a later round pick but it would be worth it.

That being said if the Bills have their sights set on a guy they will take him.

There is only one person/team stupid enough to draft a player just to try to mess up another teams draft - Matt Millen/Detroit.